Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

You can be this area of precipitation moving south would not exist if it were to be snow… 🙄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

First light frost of the season here... Lovely! Quite early in the year too in my eyes.

Posted

Anyone's thoughts for snow in early winter this year?

The trees here are absolutely stashed with berries, my old grandma would always tell me that is a sign of a very cold winter ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

It feels a lot warmer today. Temp has risen to a balmy 15°C and the sun is shining. tempted to get the shorts out! 😁🩳

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Gizzy said:

Anyone's thoughts for snow in early winter this year?

The trees here are absolutely stashed with berries, my old grandma would always tell me that is a sign of a very cold winter ???

I don’t think so, I think that’s just an old wives tale, I think what nature does now has nothing to do with the upcoming winter, nature is just reacting to the previous season I think.

Nice day today, high 15.9, low 9.4, dry with plenty of sunshine. 🙂 🌤

Tomorrow is going to be a washout, our first proper autumnal wet and windy day for a very long time. 💨🌧

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t think so, I think that’s just an old wives tale, I think what nature does now has nothing to do with the upcoming winter, nature is just reacting to the previous season I think.

Tomorrow is going to be a washout, our first proper autumnal wet and windy day for a very long time. 💨🌧

Oh you have quashed my hopes with me being a coldie!!

Yeah tomorrow is not looking great, been really pleasant today and the weekend looks pleasant too. All good for my regular visit to Redcar horse racing.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah and guess where I am tomorrow?  At a bloody outdoor show!! 😬

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

First sight of snow atop a ‘big hill’ in Scottish Highlands this week ❄️👍🏼 (not great pic & lost definition on upload, but it is there if you look really closely 😆)
5320066D-83FC-46E7-9F09-104C43E38B44.thumb.jpeg.c8f72f1ea71ecb866a2ffa88368eab9f.jpeg

Edited by RebsAbbo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Noticing tree leaf colour changes, but we are a good 3-4 weeks away from the most vivid evidence of change. Lots of acorns on the floor. Not seen chestnuts as yet.. the environment is now though in full autumn change. 

• Like 2

Posted
23 hours ago, TheOgre said:

To be honest, these last few days… I can’t recall a colder day in September than Tuesday: 11C! I keep forgetting it’s September as it already feels like late October. The only other time I can remember with such unseasonable cold in the warmer months is a 10C day in June 2019. 

Hopefully it’s an early sign of a good winter to come 🤞🏼❄️

I think it was 2008 the last time I noticed cold daytime temps this low so early in the season.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it was 2008 the last time I noticed cold daytime temps this low so early in the season.

I remember the middle of September 2013 being quite cool for the time of year too. The temperature only reached 11 Celsius on the 17th in my neck of the woods. I believe London reached a top temp of 13 Celsius on that day. Temperatures more akin to late October.

Needless to say, that spell came as a bit of a shock after the warm few days early that month as well as being on the back of a warm summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

Typical autumnal wet and windy day here, currently 11.3°C with 99% humidity. 🍂💨🌧 Like a typical mild winter day. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I do like that autumn feels like it's really come in. I feel like in recent years it has often felt like a quick change into autumn. The autumns of 2019 and 2020 I feel were notable in this aspect for a lack of any Indian summer and very seasonable autumn weather. That's why 2021 came as a shock for its persistent mild nothingness. Autumn 2022 feels like a return to basics alreadt, but we've yet to see what October has to bring yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Slightly drier next week it seems but seems like a persistent diet of dreary southwesterlies so expecting a lot of cloud, drizzle early in the week and then a further active frontal system on Wednesday. Following the frontal system we then get breezy WSWlies so again cloudy and non-descript, I suggest. The high pressure originally suggested for next week, as well as the continental feed from the SSE, seems to have gone.

The 2nd week of October looks better currently on the GFS, though the Met Office isn't really on board with their long-range forecast.

Hoping we do get some sunny weather in October for more than the odd day or two as these long, protracted extended winter seasons with persistent dull and damp weather, lasting for months and months, are a real drag. We had them in 19/20 and 20/21, both dire seasons in their own (different) ways so hoping we don't get that again this year.

We need an Indian summer given September has (at least since the 8th, when I arrived back) been decidedly cloudy and cool, and fairly wet at times.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a fantastic day of so much needed rain, months of this is required. Really starting to get a very bad feeling that folk have no idea how bad the water situation is. Last thing we need now is an Indian summer! Just take a look at the stock levels, never seen it so bad.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a fantastic day of so much needed rain, months of this is required. Really starting to get a very bad feeling that folk have no idea how bad the water situation is. 

Except has it been that dry everywhere?

In the south, in the past 12 months, only November, January, April, July and August were notably dry, with the other months near average, and, in a couple of cases, above average. And this September has been one of the wettest of the 21st century down here.

Also months and months of this will be very bad psychologically for people. If we get dry sunny weather in the winter, people can, to some extent, distract themselves from the current economic problems. SAD is a real problem and a winter of repeated weather like today will be very bad for many people. Winter 19/20 was a real struggle - and that was before Covid came along.

I've said it before but we need a generally mild, but dry and sunny autumn and winter. Essentially an 11/12 repeat.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I nearly started a thread on this, but it's probably not worth it.

Days like today, with a frontal system coming in from the west (and not just decaying into drizzle) feel like they happen far less often than when I was a kid. For context, I'm 35, and from a young age I was a weather nut, watching every TV forecast that the limits of the time could allow, and learning all about what I was seeing in the sky. 

Back then, it seemed like dozens of times per year, if not more, there would be a day that dawned sunny, under higher pressure, that slowly gave way to increasing amounts of Cirrus, followed by Altostratus, and then eventually heavy, persistent rain that would start to fall around the end of the school day and last for the evening. They were the days that I'd read all about in my weather books, and know were coming thanks to John Kettley, Bill Giles, Michael Fish, or whoever had told us all about them after the 6 'o clock news the previous night.

Are these set-ups truly far more rare these days, or is it some kind of biased memory/perception that I have? 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Except has it been that dry everywhere?

In the south, in the past 12 months, only November, January, April, July and August were notably dry, with the other months near average, and, in a couple of cases, above average. And this September has been one of the wettest of the 21st century down here.

Also months and months of this will be very bad psychologically for people. If we get dry sunny weather in the winter, people can, to some extent, distract themselves from the current economic problems. SAD is a real problem and a winter of repeated weather like today will be very bad for many people. Winter 19/20 was a real struggle - and that was before Covid came along.

I've said it before but we need a generally mild, but dry and sunny autumn and winter. Essentially an 11/12 repeat.

Right I'm going to be honest, nothing to do with preferences or whatever. The Pennie chains are virtually empty, the areas i have been in southern counties not much better, a dry Autumn and Winter will result in massive issues, that is blatantly obvious. We need rain, a lot of rain, a repeat of this Summer would be catastrophic if not, stand pipes, failed crops etc. I get what your saying, some folk like yourself struggle due to SAD, i have reverse SAD so understand but the fact is we need water. We are at less than 30% currently in a lot of areas.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

I do like that autumn feels like it's really come in. I feel like in recent years it has often felt like a quick change into autumn. The autumns of 2019 and 2020 I feel were notable in this aspect for a lack of any Indian summer and very seasonable autumn weather. That's why 2021 came as a shock for its persistent mild nothingness. Autumn 2022 feels like a return to basics alreadt, but we've yet to see what October has to bring yet.

October is the time when there is a psychological shift from the summer state of mind that kicks in when April arrives, exhanged to the winter state of mind. We mentally prepare ourselves for the long winter ahead. In this sense 1 October and 1 April might be said to be most pivotal points of year for the mind body and soul!

• Like 1

Posted

Today has been the first truly ‘proper’ day of some meaningful rain in what seems like months. We could definitely do with a couple more days of this intensity of rain to top up the water levels. 

The last thing we need is high pressure stuck over us for months upon end. We’ve had enough of that in what seems like for several months. Time for a change please! 

Edited by JR319
  • Like 2

Posted

Well the rain has come too late in the season really the grass isn t growing much not even the lawn...

The half inch of rain along with the same  day or night before more rain 4 or 5 days ago still hasn t given any water to the brook..

Just trickling out of the pipes up the top but then trickles so far then goes into earth..

Posted

Well as many others have stated, today has felt proper autumnal with significant wind and rain!  Rain has stopped, wind dropped and skies beginning to clear now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Certainly Autumnal here today with a *rare* frontal rain event, and some trees are very much on the turn for sure. Hopefully this rain today will have helped the reservoirs

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, JR319 said:

Today has been the first truly ‘proper’ day of some meaningful rain in what seems like months. We could definitely do with a couple more days of this intensity of rain to top up the water levels. 

The last thing we need is high pressure stuck over us for months upon end. We’ve had enough of that in what seems like for several months. Time for a change please! 

More than a couple of days!!!!! Take a drive over the Woodhead Pass, the main set of reservoirs for a huge population are the Crowden set, they are near empty. We will be in a lot of trouble if the Autumn and Winter are dry, to many folk aren't grasping this yet.

• Like 4