Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
46 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

2022 the year that cold is not allowed into the UK!

Apart from November and December yeah?! 🥺

Posted

If it wasn’t for the beautiful colours of the trees and the unmatched vibes of Halloween, October would probably be the most boring month of the year along with November; Low chance of summer like warmth, low chance of anything cold, just blandness.
November’s arguably the worst though with zero chance of warmth and low chance of interesting cold. 
As already mentioned in this thread, spring offers far superior conditions.

Edited by TheOgre
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
35 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

If it wasn’t for the beautiful colours of the trees and the unmatched vibes of Halloween, October would probably be the most boring month of the year along with November; Low chance of summer like warmth, low chance of anything cold, just blandness.
November’s arguably the worst though with zero chance of warmth and low chance of interesting cold. 

The UK climate overall is rather boring if you are a weather enthusiast. But I do agree that spring is the most interesting season as there is more of a variety. But even then, spring can be bland in some years.

If it wasn't for finances, I would certainly consider moving to somewhere with a more continental climate.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Madrid is nice 😄

5 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The UK climate overall is rather boring if you are a weather enthusiast. But I do agree that spring is the most interesting season as there is more of a variety. But even then, spring can be bland in some years.

If it wasn't for finances, I would certainly consider moving to somewhere with a more continental climate.

Posted
2 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Mmm November can be very cold, 2010 for example, but overall not easy to achieve. I agree October probably month when extremes temp occur least. Autumn by far most uninteresting season if you like extremes.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Sensing next week will bring the final flush out of warmth for the year, not unusual for October to produce a last warm hurray, by November even with temps well in the teens you can never describe it as warm.

I agree with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Sensing next week will bring the final flush out of warmth for the year, not unusual for October to produce a last warm hurray, by November even with temps well in the teens you can never describe it as warm.

Yes and because of a lack of daylight it's only briefly those temps. Not hour upon hour when we have longer days.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes and because of a lack of daylight it's only briefly those temps. Not hour upon hour when we have longer days.

Why is it then, we seem to have hour upon hour with temps well into the teens during the depths of winter?! 🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
38 minutes ago, Don said:

Why is it then, we seem to have hour upon hour with temps well into the teens during the depths of winter?! 🤣

That's a darn sarf fing innit? 😂

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

That's a darn sarf fing innit? 😂

Yeah and hopefully I won't suffer those temps in winter now I'm living in the Midlands, or else I'll ave to move further north again innit?! 🤣 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. Still no agreement this morning at 168t. UK model below . The UKMO still anchors the East Atlantic trough well west of the British Isles, whereas GFS and ECM  shows this on the move eastwards at an increasing pace. In the meanwhile, time to turn the thermostats down a notch or two across much of Euroland this coming week. Hopefully save a £ or old Austrian schilling or two. ! Currently, think so much uncertainly in the models , even at 168t.

Have a nice weekend in Blighty.

C

Could contain:

Good old Austrian Schilling, I remember when I went skiing in the 80's they were about 20 to the pound.

Easy to work out what I was paying for my Goulash soup and beer, just like pre decimal times.

• Like 1

Posted

In that transitional period between early autumn and deep Autumn. Deep Autumn I describe as period roughly 20 Oct to mid November, when we see rapid change in the feel of things, first air frosts likely for many, first cold feeling days, leaves peak in colour and break off quickly, light loss is signficant with clocks going back, sun loses all strength.

By mid Nov, the late autumn feeling sets in.. and preparation for winter and christmas takes over.

I find late October/ early Nov the most evocative time of the year, senses come alive. This is the last weekend of the year before that marked change in physche to one where the 'winter' head sets in, and usually the last one before you ditch the summer clothes/ light jacket attire. This is from a northern and Lakeland perspective.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

In that transitional period between early autumn and deep Autumn. Deep Autumn I describe as period roughly 20 Oct to mid November, when we see rapid change in the feel of things, first air frosts likely for many, first cold feeling days, leaves peak in colour and break off quickly, light loss is signficant with clocks going back, sun loses all strength.

By mid Nov, the late autumn feeling sets in.. and preparation for winter and christmas takes over.

I find late October/ early Nov the most evocative time of the year, senses come alive. This is the last weekend of the year before that marked change in physche to one where the 'winter' head sets in, and usually the last one before you ditch the summer clothes/ light jacket attire. This is from a northern and Lakeland perspective.

Evocative, Really? I decided years ago that late October/ early November is the most depressing time of year in the UK, that's why I now spend this period in Southern Spain where 25c is the average daily max. Love cold and snow but I am too old for miserable, mild and wet.

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes I know that feeling, I always have the half term off, and many years there is a mild spell around then. Days are still long enough to enjoy but then, bang, the clocks change and because I work outside, when I return to work I have to face evening shifts dark from 5pm till 11pm. It takes an adjustment in mentality to be working most the shift in poor light, cooling temps, and usually increasing wetness, and most certainly increasing levels of muddiness. I never go home clean between November and February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

And then Halloween 2014 comes along and we eat lunch outside on the patio! 😎

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, MP-R said:

And then Halloween 2014 comes along and we eat lunch outside on the patio! 😎

Halloween 2014 was very strange indeed!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 hours ago, Don said:

Halloween 2014 was very strange indeed!!

Loved it! Six days later we had the first frost of the season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Springs/Summers, Chilly Autumns , Cold Winters

If people on this forum had to the power to control UK weather, we'd have 30c+ all spring/summer and 20c+ all autumn/winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
14 minutes ago, Coldilocks said:

If people on this forum had to the power to control UK weather, we'd have 30c+ all spring/summer and 20c+ all autumn/winter.

Minus 20c more like 👍 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Beautiful here at 15c, with the sun out. Sat at back of garden in full sun; feels like 20c. Rain expected later on, so making most of the glorious Autumn weather.

• Like 2

Posted
23 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes from a farming point of view harvest over  some money in bank again or secured its in a shed and now insured.  Cattle starting t come in but weekends still not tooo busy feeding animals yet. Still a bit of grass around this autumn but value reducing.  A bit of relief from the vagaries of the weather on the farming calendar. Time for deep breath and relax a bit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

October is turning out to be exceptionally sunny in this neck of the woods. We just hit 102 hours today. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 108 hours and the record sunniest was 144 hours!

For the year we're up to 1751 hours, compared to the 1991-2020 average of 1599 hours and the record sunniest of 1842 hours back in 2003.

Even if November and December were equal to the dullest on record, we'd still finish on 1812 hours.

A remarkable year for dry, sunny weather.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, reef said:

October is turning out to be exceptionally sunny in this neck of the woods. We just hit 102 hours today. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 108 hours and the record sunniest was 144 hours!

For the year we're up to 1751 hours, compared to the 1991-2020 average of 1599 hours and the record sunniest of 1842 hours back in 2003.

Even if November and December were equal to the dullest on record, we'd still finish on 1812 hours.

A remarkable year for dry, sunny weather.

Its been a very westerly/south westerly month so far, which favours eastern parts sunshine wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Some surprisingly heavy rain down here in south Hampshire from this system given pressure isn't that low and there is no real deep cold air in the mix (the heaviest rain on frontal systems typically on cold fronts bringing in cold Pm air).

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Some surprisingly heavy rain down here in south Hampshire from this system given pressure isn't that low and there is no real deep cold air in the mix (the heaviest rain on frontal systems typically on cold fronts bringing in cold Pm air).

We've had the heaviest rain for months (Swindon area) as it spread north - shame it moved too quickly, only 3 to 4mm deposited, may get a bit more though yet. If that shifted at much slower speeds it could have been the first real dent in our drought.