Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But I don't want high teens in bleeding November! I can totally understand the negativity. I want it to feel seasonal. Having Xmas ads on TV while I'm out and about in the evening in a t-shirt is just plain wrong. It's interesting from a weather point of view but that's about it.

Besides, the last few days have been a gloomy cloudfest. It's not exactly been nice.

Ok well you’re welcome to your own negativity but if you see the benefits in things, it makes it much easier.

Could do with more sunshine, true, but hopefully this afternoon and tomorrow will feature sunshine. I’m just glad it’s dry!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Ok well you’re welcome to your own negativity but if you see the benefits in things, it makes it much easier.

Could do with more sunshine, true, but hopefully this afternoon and tomorrow will feature sunshine. I’m just glad it’s dry!

Everybody has complained about the weather at some point or other, yourself included. I'm not sure there's any need for the condescending tone.

Besides, this is the moans thread after all!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be that high to generate some Vitamin D. It's definitely possible to get a tan in the UK up to mid September at least- and the sun is lower than that by that point at midday I believe.

Obviously the lower the sun is, the more time needed in the sun to generate Vitamin D, but it varies hugely depending on skin tone as well.

Certainly once you get into October there is very little to any Vitamin D available from the sun.

Your skin needs UV B rays to generate Vitamin D. They only reach you when the sun is around 45 degrees above the horizon. American websites state 50 degrees above the horizon

In lowland Scotland that means around noon from the middle of May to the middle of August and even around the solstice we only get four or five hours where the sun is high enough. Obviously only an hour or so at either end.

The season will be longer in the South of England but only two to three weeks either side.

And a study showed that in order to get what was regarded as sufficient to last you through winter in the UK, you would need to have your legs exposed to the sun as well as your arms and head AND would need to be outside in the middle of the day pretty much every day in that period. And avoid the sun cream.

I think a summer holiday to sunny climes should be available on the NHS. And us in Scotland should get an extra week later in they year. 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Can I say the famous three words yet?

Autumn is over?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
24 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Can I say the famous three words yet?

Surely something cannot be over until after it has begun?

Not much sign of it beginning in the foreseeable though!😟

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Everybody has complained about the weather at some point or other, yourself included. I'm not sure there's any need for the condescending tone.

Besides, this is the moans thread after all!

My comment was not supposed to come across as condescending. I do indeed whinge at times, but I’ll never begrudge nice weather. 

But you’re right… this is the moans thread, so on that, I will preemptively moan about next week’s weather. Tuesday in particular looks potentially dire.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Surely something cannot be over until after it has begun?

Not much sign of it beginning in the foreseeable though!😟

in my area it was, winter ended on 30th Nov, after 2 snowy days 27/28 Nov

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Autumn is over?

I only wish that Autism could be over!😇

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

But I don't want high teens in bleeding November! I can totally understand the negativity. I want it to feel seasonal. Having Xmas ads on TV while I'm out and about in the evening in a t-shirt is just plain wrong. It's interesting from a weather point of view but that's about it.

Besides, the last few days have been a gloomy cloudfest. It's not exactly been nice.

I must admit, I do get a little sick and tired of people saying things like "enjoy it while it lasts" as if we're all expected to like it. I personally like seasonal weather, so these kind of conditions in the middle of November don't interest me. I want some frost, a good storm, cool misty mornings and sunny crisp days. In terms of warm weather, we have had plenty of that this year and we've also had a great summer. But I believe everything has a time and a place and anything can eventually outstay its welcome.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
5 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Your skin needs UV B rays to generate Vitamin D. They only reach you when the sun is around 45 degrees above the horizon. American websites state 50 degrees above the horizon

In lowland Scotland that means around noon from the middle of May to the middle of August and even around the solstice we only get four or five hours where the sun is high enough. Obviously only an hour or so at either end.

The season will be longer in the South of England but only two to three weeks either side.

And a study showed that in order to get what was regarded as sufficient to last you through winter in the UK, you would need to have your legs exposed to the sun as well as your arms and head AND would need to be outside in the middle of the day pretty much every day in that period. And avoid the sun cream.

I think a summer holiday to sunny climes should be available on the NHS. And us in Scotland should get an extra week later in they year. 🙂

Christ, no wonder we drink so much up here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
6 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

I can believe the 45 degrees above the horizon thing. Here in the Manchester area that begins around the 11th of April and usually from then onwards that is when my skin can get a bit red from the sun. My ancestry is Siberian and East Asian on my dad's side so I have dark hair but a fair skin complexion with it so still burn when the sun is strong enough and my mum is mostly European with ancestry here in the UK and in Ireland from her parents. I wonder if people with red hair generate vitamin D even earlier in the year? as I have seen some studies that say so. Something to do with living in a cloudy climate and their complexion takes advantage of a weaker sun, interestingly this is where most red headed people tend to live in north western Europe where it's cloudier than eastern and southern Europe. My nephew gets burnt really easily and he is proper red headed with loads of freckles.

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I can believe the 45 degrees above the horizon thing. Here in the Manchester area that begins around the 11th of April and usually from then onwards that is when my skin can get a bit red from the sun. My ancestry is Siberian and East Asian on my dad's side so I have dark hair but a fair skin complexion with it so still burn when the sun is strong enough and my mum is mostly European with ancestry here in the UK and in Ireland from her parents. I wonder if people with red hair generate vitamin D even earlier in the year? as I have seen some studies that say so. Something to do with living in a cloudy climate and their complexion takes advantage of a weaker sun, interestingly this is where most red headed people tend to live in north western Europe where it's cloudier than eastern and southern Europe. My nephew gets burnt really easily and he is proper red headed with loads of freckles.

Have a look at this link.

https://www.hsis.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vitamin-D.pdf 

• Thanks 1

Posted

And this link will show you the height of the sun throughout the year at solar noon.

You'll also be able to see how high the sun is at any particular time by clicking on  individual dates

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/manchester

I'll also add that UV A rays will tan and burn you but won't generate Vitamin D by skin exposure.

It is the UV B rays that are required.

Edited by The real Lomond snowstorm
  • Thanks 1

Posted

How many redheads are there? Less than 2% of the world's population has red hair. The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%), followed by Ireland (10%).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Legitimately felt like a late Spring/early summer day for a time early this afternoon, easily warm enough for a T shirt here, indeed I even got the shorts out for one more time!

Was going to say the same. Was ridiculous outside today, clear blue skies, sunny and felt very warm at 17c. Didn’t feel like November, and the landscape didn’t look like November either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Aye becoming a bit tedious,  as a lot of posters have said now looking for something more seasonal,  still not had an air frost , aw well !

• Like 2

Posted

Does anyone know when was the last time London had a max temperature in single digits, nothing showing in latest forecasts which must be unusual even for London 

Posted
45 minutes ago, johncam said:

Does anyone know when was the last time London had a max temperature in single digits, nothing showing in latest forecasts which must be unusual even for London 

Think it was April, and the early part of that month when we last recorded a below 10c day. 

Usually by late October, a 10c day or just below does happen, and I remember some cold days in autumn 2019, and even 2020, but since last autumn it’s been milder.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Think it was April, and the early part of that month when we last recorded a below 10c day. 

Usually by late October, a 10c day or just below does happen, and I remember some cold days in autumn 2019, and even 2020, but since last autumn it’s been milder.

Thanks , obviously London is a large heat island but wonder if that is some kind of record 

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Was going to say the same. Was ridiculous outside today, clear blue skies, sunny and felt very warm at 17c. Didn’t feel like November, and the landscape didn’t look like November either. 

It was a nice day, but I wouldn’t go so far to compare it to summer like conditions.

Yes it’s exceptionally mild for the time of year and feels like a late September day, but with the daylight fading by 4pm, there’s a distinct chill in the air. It’s still mild, but the evenings and mornings have that damp air feel to them, even if it’s warmer than average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Never mind snow. I'd settle for a half decent frost at the moment.☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1