Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Indoor Temperature Thread

Met.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My flat never gets hot in summer as it never gets any sun facing north-west. I'm actually glad as it would stay too hot if it did get sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

My bedroom gets the sun for a lot of the day, I've got blackout blinds which do help a lot if it gets hot in the summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Heating's just come on, 17.3°C at the moment largely thanks to the sun coming in earlier. 

Posted

Up to a toasty warm 17.0°C in my lounge. 🔥😼

Posted

It's actually reached 20°C tonight which it hasn't done a for a few days. Holding at 20.1°C at the moment but won't stay that way for long now the heating's gone off. 

• Like 2

Posted

17.3°C with the sun coming in. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I'm currently upstairs, heating is on and it is 16.1°C and rising.

Was 11°C in the living room at 7:30 this morning (heating is off overnight).

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

We never have the heating on overnight. Couldn’t afford it if we wanted to. As the suns warming part of the house it’s not on at the moment and probably won’t be until this evening. The parts of the house that don’t get the sun are a lot colder. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

We never have the heating on overnight. Couldn’t afford it if we wanted to. As the suns warming part of the house it’s not on at the moment and probably won’t be until this evening. The parts of the house that don’t get the sun are a lot colder. 

Same here. I can't afford to have heating on outside of 1PM to about 8PM. Specially with the prices at the moment. 

It went down to a disgusting 10.4°C in the lounge, 'orrible sitting and eating lunch in that, but that's the reality. My dad speaks of the post-war era when people had no money and no central heating and they lived in temps of 8-10°C growing up in winters then. 

• Like 2

Posted

My mum and dad often talk about when they lived in houses that didn’t have any heating apart from open fires and how they used to get ice on the inside of windows. Not that they’d want to go back to that but with the way things are at the moment open fires would probably be cheaper than heating. 

We used to have an open fire in the living room at our old house and it was nice to sit by it when it was cold like it has been this week. It didn’t really heat a lot of the house but it meant we didn’t need to turn the heating on during the day as we could just light the fire in there and stay in that room. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

My mum and dad often talk about when they lived in houses that didn’t have any heating apart from open fires and how they used to get ice on the inside of windows. Not that they’d want to go back to that but with the way things are at the moment open fires would probably be cheaper than heating. 

Thing is my dad now can afford proper heating, but his old habits and conservatism means he STILL doesn't use heating much. He told me he puts it on when his indoor temp is 5°C! 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ThunderHellCat said:

Thing is my dad now can afford proper heating, but his old habits and conservatism means he STILL doesn't use heating much. He told me he puts it on when his indoor temp is 5°C! 

I could see my dad being like that if he was still paying the energy bills, he never used to worry about the heating being on but he’s always worried about money and with the current prices we would probably have the heating on far less than we do. Fortunately my mum pays that now, with help from the rest of the family, so we do have it on longer, even if still not as long as we could do. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I was born in the early 90s, but we didn't have central heating until I was 18 - no double glazing either until fairly recently. So I am fairly accustomed to cooler room temps and can probably do so again if I absolutely had to. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I was born in the early 90s, but we didn't have central heating until I was 18 - no double glazing either until fairly recently. So I am fairly accustomed to cooler room temps and can probably do so again if I absolutely had to. 

Wow I was born in 1992, so not far off you, and have always had central heating in all the houses I’ve lived in.

I don’t think we had double glazing in the first house but I only lived there for until I was 4 so don’t really remember it much. The house I mainly grew up in wasn’t bad for keeping warm whereas the one I’m in now is fairly terrible for keeping the heat in, and the windows aren’t the issue here. 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm 61 and my rents had the CH installed in late 60s when i was about 7 or 8 i think. But i do remember the ice on the inside of windows, in some Winters, as we didnt have double glazing. Waking up in mid-Jan for school and scraping the ice off inside is a particular memory.

Ever since i bought my 1st house (i was single at the time, Oct '87) i've always loved the CH; not one for sitting around inside in layers of clothes. Understand some may have trouble affording to have heating on too much.

But even now, married, kids have left home, i still ensure the CH only comes on for 3 hours in morning, 5/6 hours in the eve. Never have it on overnight, even this week with early morn temps down to minus 7c.

Have clicked it on just after lunchtime a couple of days this week, although not today, as the sun's been streaming into the living room. Back of the house is cold though, in the kitchen diner but i havent heard the table and chairs crying out for warmth😁.

Edited by Bristle Si

Posted

A comfortable 19.8°C now with the heating on for a few hours. 

I say comfortable but that might because I'm sat right next to the radiator. For some reason it never feels as nice at that temperature when the heating's off. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

15.7°C with the sun coming in occasionally, no heating just yet. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Heating has just been on, but I forgot to look at the temp. Will be coming back on soon though.

Posted

Dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. I had to turn the heating off early today. Got to 17.8°C... started to overheat. The 15 units of alcohol I've consumed so far might have something to do with that, dou. 

• Like 1

Posted

Live in old farmhouse as a tenant farmer with mostly single glazing which is not covered by minimum letting standard. However scottish government has brought this in to cover farm tenant farmhouses in few years time

This week upstairs hall was down to 4c . Last August I put a new log burner in as  tenants improvement which I have to get my landlords permission to do. It's been absolutely fantastic this last week. It's replaced an old baxi fireplace. We have one other room with oil fired rayburn that keeps the room warm and heats water. The room with log burner is now 21c to every corner and right next to single glazed windows. 

Lots of ice on windows this last week in other areas of the house.

• Like 3

Posted

Up to 19.5°C now with the heating about to go off. Even thought it's not really any different to the last few days temperature wise inside it does feel a little bit warmer tonight, probably because it's not as cold outside. 

• Like 1

Posted

17.8°C now a few hours after the heating went off, similar to this time most nights lately but it's much milder outside tonight. At least few days of mild weather to come so might see a bit of a difference.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

The C H only comes on for an hour or so in the morning. In the evenings we use the log burner with a fan on top. Wood costs me little, or nothing. I've bought one load for £75, and picked up the rest from the roadside. (Always have a chainsaw in the van with me) 

The lounge has been around 21 degrees all week. When you come in from outside, you really notice how efficiently the logburner warms the ground floor of the house. 

We didn't have CH years ago, only a coal fire in the sitting room, so it's hardly a hardship really. A bit of hard graft gives me free heat. 

Edited by 78/79
  • Thanks 1