Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature Record Monitor Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Watnall (Nottingham) recorded 39.8c, 3.7c above the previous record before this spell. Absolutely unbelieve to think it could be 15c lower tomorrow but still be above average.

If this is the future then there needs to be a change in infrastructure. New homes need to have aircon as standard as its too bloomin hot!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

That comment was saddening to see. Everyone has their different opinions in life and those thoughts are not to be judged, I know plenty of very educated outside thinkers that believe that climate change is just a natural worldly cycle and to a degree I do agree, but I also know people who think climate change is definitely happening and that events could be fuelled by it and to a degree I agree as well. Just because it’s your thoughts does not mean that you can mock others.

There comes a point when denying the overwhelming evidence becomes mere dogma.  This happened in terms of climate around 10 years ago.

• Like 8

Posted

We need to keep away from climate debate in here - there's a whole forum section for that. 

In any case, as we've been watching temperature obs today, this is an interesting article from Jo:

20210401_193612.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The UK had its hottest day on record on 19th July with temperatures passing 40C in several places for the first time. But how are the official temperatures recorded, inside those mysterious white boxes?

• Like 4

Posted

So, I checked the closest Davis stations from the WeatherLink Network in Coningsby. One reported 40.6C and the other 40.0C

Both unfortunately are passive.

1770391038_Screenshot2022-07-19at7_46_48PM.thumb.png.527a272ff2534a251af7442aa4080003.png1908489425_Screenshot2022-07-19at7_47_56PM.thumb.png.5f6c2e4993b761a400b2876220086b0f.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

That comment was saddening to see. Everyone has their different opinions in life and those thoughts are not to be judged, I know plenty of very educated outside thinkers that believe that climate change is just a natural worldly cycle and to a degree I do agree, but I also know people who think climate change is definitely happening and that events could be fuelled by it and to a degree I agree as well. Just because it’s your thoughts does not mean that you can mock others.

This can only be accepted to a point.

You simply cannot make your own truth against verifiable, objective, evidence. What you have cited is part of the problem today: that any old nonsense or conspiracy gets taken up with alacrity, usually by people who have not got any background in the subject.

Actually on climate there is an argument to be had because the earth does go through cycles and it has been very hot in the past. That it is warming now is undeniable. Why it is warming can be a source of debate.

But we should not confuse this with accepting any old dingbat theory that in some instances can be extremely dangerous to others.

• Like 9

Posted
28 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Another wow moment, thats quite the jump as far as records goes, 2c higher is very notable!

Almost inevitably it's an airfield, but fear not.  Closed soon after WW2 and has now mainly become agricultural'  So it's generally flat and the exposure is excellent.  For many years after the war it was the nations main motorsport venue, and the training ground for Jim Clark

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, The4Seasons said:

A Very strange day here today. We started at 23.5c min temp then it rose to 29c by 11am. At midday it went gusty with sw winds then at 13.00pm rain and some scattered storms temp fell to 23c. Now at 16.44pm after the front the temp is back up to 30c and sunny in SE winds. (Following the first front). So it's hot behind it guys at least for a while. I guess the cooler air will follow later this evening. 

This often happens when we have very hot uppers.. a shallow frontal feature moves in first.. but takes a second front to finally shift the hot air out. On this occasion it looks for many a damp squib rather than the usual thundery breakdown probably because the air so dry and we don't have a long fetch SW maritime airflow moving in. Instead a cool more stable NW airflow. All rather odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Does logic suggest that if there were more official stations today, then the official highest temperature would have been higher ?  If it does then logic must also therefore suggest that if there were the same number of official stations in the past as today, then the official highest temperatures recorded in the past would also have been higher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
32 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

It’s fine to have your own views but when you’re openly mocking the consensus view of actual scientists, it’s sad to see.

Nothing wrong with an open mind but those people aren’t who I’m referring to.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Absolutely no more discussion on the climate please. It's been a great thread this and an exceptional day to remember. 

Thankyou all.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We may not have hit 40 but 38 in Manchester when the previous high was 33.7 is nothing short of staggering.
4.3 degrees above our highest temp ever 🤯

Same for most of the north of England I imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Ninman said:

Watnall (Nottingham) recorded 39.8c, 3.7c above the previous record before this spell. Absolutely unbelieve to think it could be 15c lower tomorrow but still be above average.

If this is the future then there needs to be a change in infrastructure. New homes need to have aircon as standard as its too bloomin hot!

Provisional Yorkshire record of 39.6C at Bramham just outside Leeds, beating the previous Yorkshire record of 36.7C, recorded at… Bramham on Monday. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.
1 hour ago, Mark Smithy said:

This can only be accepted to a point.

You simply cannot make your own truth against verifiable, objective, evidence. What you have cited is part of the problem today: that any old nonsense or conspiracy gets taken up with alacrity, usually by people who have not got any background in the subject.

Actually on climate there is an argument to be had because the earth does go through cycles and it has been very hot in the past. That it is warming now is undeniable. Why it is warming can be a source of debate.

But we should not confuse this with accepting any old dingbat theory that in some instances can be extremely dangerous to others.

What an articulate reply and very reasonable too👌

• Like 1

Posted

I`m dissapointed I thought 41c would certainly be reached...

Models can t get a handle on the UK for temps for this unprecidented last 2 days..

Of course 40c was going to be reached..

Never seen such a huge swath of record upper air cover us before..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

Well we topped out at 34c on the Yorkshire Wolds, consistent between 1.45pm & last check at 3.40pm. Checked against Staxton Wold station & this was comparable 👍🏼. Not sure what our record is/was…

I got this on the car at Driffield at 4.30pm, 36°c it was stifling tbh, 

20220719_163231.jpg

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I`m dissapointed I thought 41c would certainly be reached...

Models can t get a handle on the UK for temps for this unprecidented last 2 days..

Of course 40c was going to be reached..

Never seen such a huge swath of record upper air cover us before..

Possible that one of the manual stations recorded 41c or close to it. Won’t find out until tomorrow though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
2 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

34.8 new provisional max for Scotland

1.9C up on the 2003 record is actually almost exactly what we currently have for England - although worth noting that day's 38.5, like the 2019 38.7, was a late arrival too. Watched an archive clip of one of that evening's BBC news bulletins yesterday and the record at that point was stated as 37.9 from Heathrow.

Either way, we're looking at an apparent ~2C leap from 2003 to 2022 for both England and Scotland, and that was about the margin taken out of the (1990) Welsh record yesterday too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Possible that one of the manual stations recorded 41c or close to it. Won’t find out until tomorrow though. 

Cambridge NIAB recorded 39.9c today. Botanic gardens (which had the 2019 record) won’t show data until tomorrow 9am morning, but is often 0.5c higher than the NIAB site. That would give 40.4c if it was - there may be other 09z sites to give data tomorrow that may exceed 40.3c too. It’s still just provisional until checks complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Provisional Yorkshire record of 39.6C at Bramham just outside Leeds, beating the previous Yorkshire record of 36.7C, recorded at… Bramham on Monday. 

Sounds a bit high that when compared to the stations further south such as Doncaster. Will be interesting to see if it stands up to scrutiny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Sounds a bit high that when compared to the stations further south such as Doncaster. Will be interesting to see if it stands up to scrutiny.

Maybe but i recorded 34 deg yesterday which i couldnt believe only for today to handsomly beat that by almost 5 deg at 38.7! Totally astounding and beyond all belief here in the hills,i even googled the weather in various areas here to check it wasnt a mistake yet we are always cooler than Leeds and Doncaster just down the road.

Posted
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Maybe but i recorded 34 deg yesterday which i couldnt believe only for today to handsomly beat that by almost 5 deg at 38.7! Totally astounding and beyond all belief here in the hills,i even googled the weather in various areas here to check it wasnt a mistake yet we are always cooler than Leeds and Doncaster just down the road.

Yes it could well be legit- if only we had a few more official sites around both in Yorkshire and the NW. There are so few around Manchester and Cheshire. Pretty sure the 37.7C at Rostherne (a rural site) would have been bettered closer to the urban area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, dryfie said:

Almost inevitably it's an airfield, but fear not.  Closed soon after WW2 and has now mainly become agricultural'  So it's generally flat and the exposure is excellent.  For many years after the war it was the nations main motorsport venue, and the training ground for Jim Clark

I immediately thought of Jim when Charterhall was mentioned.