Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature Record Monitor Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Excellent, will dampen down any sceptics of Heathrow!

A good read on it's location etc here.

_102724605_gettyimages-973344338.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

As the UK's highest ever temperature is recorded at Heathrow airport, why does it get so hot?
44 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

The blowtorch wind is what is most extraordinary about this heat. I have never felt that in this country. The wind is usually cooling.

Today has really been a heat lovers and extremist paradise

I remember Abu Dhabi in August was like that. 52C and hot wind.

Posted
Just now, ChezWeather said:

At least 29 sites break the old 38.7 record

That I utterly unbelievable. 29 sites and probably more to come with automated stations.

Many others have ended up above 36.4c which would have previously got you into the top 10 hottest days ever.

Probably will be the most amount of stations above 36c in one day.

So hottest night and now hottest day. Mad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
54 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

The blowtorch wind is what is most extraordinary about this heat. I have never felt that in this country. The wind is usually cooling.

Today has really been a heat lovers and extremist paradise

Extraordinary never felt anything like that in my life it is the kind of wind you would get in California with the wildfires 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

A look inside the Stevenson screen at Winterfield, Dunbar with thanks to Ronnie and Kenneth.  The UK had its hottest day on record on 19th July with temperatures passing 40C in several places for the first time.  But how are the official temperatures recorded? 

20210401_193612.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The UK had its hottest day on record on 19th July with temperatures passing 40C in several places for the first time. But how are the official temperatures recorded, inside those mysterious white boxes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

So glad that Coningsby has got the record, 40.3c and no "iTs nExT tO a RuNwAy" rubbish like there would be if Heathrow retained top spot

Crazy people would even question Heathrow's reading when St James's Park - yes, a PARK - also got to 40.2c, Kew got to 40.1c and Northolt 40c. So it's hardly an anomaly in the area.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, tooby said:

Whilst only being an amateur reading, this is the temperature from my back garden at 15:40 today in Balderton. The wind has picked up also, feeling like a blow torch and adding to the already astonishing feel of this heat. 

Yesterday we got upto 38c here. I'm not to a degree or 2 so I'll say we've definitely hit +40c

IMG_20220719_154723.jpg

Ties in with this reading too.

Screenshot_20220719-164343_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Crazy people would even question Heathrow's reading when St James's Park - yes, a PARK - also got to 40.2c, Kew got to 40.1c and Northolt 40c. So it's hardly an anomaly in the area.

Υes, 4 out of 5 proper 40s in the London area.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

People just trying to deny the obvious.

There can be no denying Coningsby however, not exactly renowned for its urban heat effect afterall.

Breaching 40c just makes it harder for them to deny, another nail in the coffin, of which there has sadly been an increasing number in the last 3-4 years globally.

Still can't believe 29 stations beat the old record, we really did smash it. I'd guess though that the 40.3c we did reach today probably is close to the very upper limits of what can be reached in this country, especially given how a good number were within 0.5c of that record as well.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

There is a huge fire to my SE,not sure if it's heat enduced.

DSC03613.thumb.JPG.4984bbf57b8e12190a7edbfe4c21aafb.JPG

Might be this… or another fire

FD7E8D87-E09B-4FE7-92F9-61517E2E5BAC.jpeg

EE957233-6F32-4C20-B110-36E7C42D0307.jpeg

23A2ACB6-30F5-4D9B-A656-483F1AB5B6FE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

There can be no denying Coningsby however, not exactly renowned for its urban heat effect afterall.

Breaching 40c just makes it harder for them to deny, another nail in the coffin, of which there has sadly been an increasing number in the last 3-4 years globally.

Still can't believe 29 stations beat the old record, we really did smash it. I'd guess though that the 40.3c we did reach today probably is close to the very upper limits of what can be reached in this country, especially given how a good number were within 0.5c of that record as well.

Who knows imagine if the front delayed by 3 London had an extra 3 hours of hearing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

NIAB got to 39.9c here today - botanic gardens is usually around 0.5c higher….if that rings true then it could potentially be 40.4c and hold on to its record (though other stations could obviously have been higher)…

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Nah, I reckon we could have got 43 with a third day of this setup.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Would I be right in assuming the weather station is on the RAF Base? Hopefully not close to the runway.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Would I be right in assuming the weather station is on the RAF Base? Hopefully not close to the runway.

If you want to find problems with the Coningsby record I can point out the most obvious. It's a passive automatic station. Only difference is that it belongs to the Met Office network.

Posted
1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

You can sit here till you're blue in the face chatting absolute rubbish about the validity of weather stations, the fact is that many stations in different areas of the country have topped 40c. 

Look, I would feel more confident if the record went to a Stevenson Screen station. Out of all the proper 40's today in the UK I think the only Stevenson Screen that is relatively free of criticism is the 40.2C in St. James Park 

Posted
5 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

You can sit here till you're blue in the face chatting absolute rubbish about the validity of weather stations, the fact is that many stations in different areas of the country have topped 40c. 

Indeed- these people should be happy there aren't more official sites covering more of the Midlands and North- as I think some areas definitely would have reached 41C today at least. Also urban stations would definitely have been higher. I wonder if the lack of official urban sites in this country does us a disservice compared to other countries that do have them.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

Indeed- these people should be happy there aren't more official sites covering more of the Midlands and North- as I think some areas definitely would have reached 41C today at least. Also urban stations would definitely have been higher. I wonder if the lack of official urban sites in this country does us a disservice compared to other countries that do have them.

Yep, mentioned this morning the station-less void around Worksop and Nottinghamshire in general, also a big void between Northampton/Leciester/Grantham 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

It's a huge task to go one by one all the Davis fan aspirated stations today that hit 40+ in the UK. If we find any then I am confident that they would be in urban areas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Well we topped out at 34c on the Yorkshire Wolds, consistent between 1.45pm & last check at 3.40pm. Checked against Staxton Wold station & this was comparable 👍🏼. Not sure what our record is/was…

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Some people simply don’t want to accept they’re wrong. Seen so many morons on have your say sections, hundreds of climate change deniers, morons who don’t understand climate vs weather, people denying any impacts of this weather etc.

Are people genuinely that stupid? It’s saddening to see.

That comment was saddening to see. Everyone has their different opinions in life and those thoughts are not to be judged, I know plenty of very educated outside thinkers that believe that climate change is just a natural worldly cycle and to a degree I do agree, but I also know people who think climate change is definitely happening and that events could be fuelled by it and to a degree I agree as well. Just because it’s your thoughts does not mean that you can mock others.

• Like 6