Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

Morning Was thr parallel closet to ukm or primary gfs

Was gona say i love bluearmys cryptic messages every year come winter🤪🤣🥶!keep us on our toes👀!!

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

It's crud..

Nothing like ukmo..

We either want gfs which blows it away or the ukmo!dont want a middle ground cos what that will do is leave stagnant weather fronts north to south across the uk giving copious amounts of rain and im pretty much done with the rain!!ive had deluge after deluge last 4 weeks to 5 weeks!!

• Like 4

Posted

Sorry if it’s been asked / answered elsewhere but what’s happened to the Berlin site this year?

The ECM strat data is normally well up and going by this time of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Slow steady synoptic gains...

ECM1-216 (38).gif

Good. Too many people want a sudden switch to winter nirvana which simply isn’t going to happen. Particularly on the back of such a hot year and with potential record November temperatures in the next few days.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Sorry if it’s been asked / answered elsewhere but what’s happened to the Berlin site this year?

The ECM strat data is normally well up and going by this time of the year.

They figured that the output could be quite enjoyable for us coldies this season so decided to keep it shut down. 

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, MattH said:

It's unfortunately been pulled, the information won't be put online this year for a number of reasons, I got in touch with FU Berlin last week. I did stress, mind how important the data is, but it's not likely to return this winter which is a big loss.

Great to see you posting Matt 😊

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme seasonal events
55 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Good. Too many people want a sudden switch to winter nirvana which simply isn’t going to happen. Particularly on the back of such a hot year and with potential record November temperatures in the next few days.

I was thinking just this. Just comparing the charts with November 2009 and they are similar. Let’s get the vortex into Northern Europe to create the cold pooling over the next fortnight. Then we can hope for some sort of easterly incursion late nov early December. The deep cold hung around Northern Europe for two weeks before anything hitting our shores early dec back in 2009 . Patience is needed. Right now all the foundations seem to be falling into place, hopefully this will continue 🤞🏻

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's going to be a little while before this pattern is resolved. As always, when we have an active Atlantic coming in and stalling against a blocking high pressure system models struggle.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

The broadscale pattern doesn't have to change a huge amount for us to see a huge difference in weather here in the UK, the devil is in the details & unfortunately the details are too far out to be ascertained. 

200-300 miles east or west doesn't make a big difference on a hemispheric scale but it makes a huge difference for us here in the UK. Yesterdays 18z GFS was best case scenario for cold lovers but unfortunately is also a lower probability outcome.

I suspect the Dets this morning are being too progressive with the Atlantic & underestimating the blocking, having said that I don't think we're gonna see a quick route to cold either. However; getting cold into eastern (and hopefully central, but this is less certain) is good enough for me at the moment.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS piling energy into the Northern arm.

Blows the block away.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

UKMO is defo the preferred option at 168 ..

GFS though maintains heights to the NE, definate undercut scenario but not south enough to pull in colder air. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

GFS though maintains heights to the NE, definate undercut scenario but not south enough to pull in colder air. 

Scandy highs are laden with pitfalls.

If not orientated correctly the pattern can turn very ugly as the Northern arm powers up and the Azores high ridges into Europe..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Scandy highs are laden with pitfalls.

If not orientated correctly the pattern can very ugly as the Northern arm powers up and the Azores high ridges into Europe..

Same with Greenland highs, can easily turn into a negative west based NAO with the UK held under mild SW flow.. as said always fine margins with the UK and more times than not things don't fall into place, but when they do, the underdog wins out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

What could prove intersting is another round of MJO in two weeks time to keep +GLAAM ticking, there are some nice analogs of MJO 6-7 late November as far as I remember. I dont know though how negative ENSO might interfeer though with phases even more conductive to cold. More qualified people like @Singularityor @Tamara would have perhaps more to say, as far as I Can see the GWO is remaining in very much like EL Nino state and so far November 1984 is proving to be best match with unfolding Scandi blocking, now this qualifies as ramp I think 🙂

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text

• Like 9

Posted

T168, and the Easterly is much stronger and colder over Europe compared to the 00z, let’s see if it can push back the Atlantic!! I have a feeling nothing will come from this, but nice to have some interest this early in the season !! 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

It’s really trying by T192, cold getting pretty close to our East.

Well the Atlantic lost the battle, not sure where it’ll end up now - a cold frosty high would be nice. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Disk

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

T168, and the Easterly is much stronger and colder over Europe compared to the 00z, let’s see if it can push back the Atlantic!! I have a feeling nothing will come from this, but nice to have some interest this early in the season !! 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

It’s really trying by T192, cold getting pretty close to our East.

Vortex looks really strong to our north west though..

• Like 1

Posted

As per the METO long range, High pressure is taking hold later into Nov, with frosts starting to become more widespread in mainland Europe - still nothing for us coldies to get excited about but it’s very early days, and even late Nov is still a long way off!! 

Could contain: Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
48 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

As per the METO long range, High pressure is taking hold later into Nov, with frosts starting to become more widespread in mainland Europe - still nothing for us coldies to get excited about but it’s very early days, and even late Nov is still a long way off!! 

Could contain: Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Even late November is very early days in terms of a UK winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
11 minutes ago, Chesil View said:

Even late November is very early days in terms of a UK winter.

Happy to see frosts appearing beyond that lets wait until late December for any real action

• Like 3