Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
On 20/11/2022 at 07:15, jules216 said:

A few daily records broken in Czechia this morning. Station Orlicke Záhorí -17,5°C. Looks like typical weather over here where any rare cold spell bypasses Slovakia to the north by 200km where Poland and Czechia gets hammered by snow, then a la carte next night clear. Had to put up with this all winter 2020/21. Waiting for the next week debacle where advecting high pressure will have a trough sitting somewhere in Germany so their Alps,Austria and Once again Czechia get hammered while I be pulling a south easterly and rain under 3°C like who days ago. This happend on and off All winter 2020/21, no wonder because that winter is a very good analog anyway.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Few days on and All of the sudden high pressure from Greece comes to the rescue, from potential cold easterly comes +3 uppers mid range forecast. All the potential winter charts remain over 240hr+ 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, phil nw. said:

A great illustration of why you have to give time for the block to orientate favourably.

Then we get the cold air.It isn't a matter of a flick of a switch.

The period days 7 to 11 is the first stage where we are looking for the pattern change via the amplification.

Agreed, I like looking at the jet out in lala land and worry about detail nearer the time. 👍

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Face, Person, Head

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Just now, That ECM said:

Agreed, I like looking at the jet out in lala land and worry about detail nearer the time. 👍

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Face, Person, Head

Yes keep focusing on getting the high first.

We know from experience how we get different solutions in later time frames.

Undoubtedly we are now at the stage where we will get  a block of some sort so that the first hurdle.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Calling Gary Lineker... Map of The Day!  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature

perhaps its just a pc virtue signalling map to keep snow fans happy but then it just vanishes into thin air!

• Like 9

Posted
12 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

I tell you what, there are quite a few members going for that -NAO.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

I think the best chance for the foreseeable future is almost definitely to do with that WAA associated pattern flip, that may block out the Atlantic with a Greenland high and that's where the -NAO comes from.

Beyond that and we may keep getting more opportunities as the MJO looks to be cycling back round and eventually that could go back to phases 6 and 7 again and so we get that associated Nino AAM which brings forth the -NAO increased chances.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, CAD Diagram, Diagram, Person

Even then, the increased Eddy Heat Flux associated with vertically propagating waves and a SSW is still not off the cards.

I don't think it'll be boring model watching.

This is right on cue. Im thinking between the 5th and 8th for some VERY INTERESTING weather

11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yep significant cold clustering now 

Things are now starting to show. The 240 chart from this mornings ECM interests me a lot

• Like 7

Posted

I've been waiting a very long time for some decently persistent High Pressure, so looking very good indeed. In the meantime, a lot of rain to get through to the end of the month. It had to give up sometime. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Purple, Outdoors, Nature

Mind you, has anyone seen that Rufford Ford on YouTube, still plenty of opportunity in the next week for absolute madness car destroying oddities on there before letting up into December.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
36 minutes ago, Downburst said:

I've been waiting a very long time for some decently persistent High Pressure, so looking very good indeed. In the meantime, a lot of rain to get through to the end of the month. It had to give up sometime. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Purple, Outdoors, Nature

Mind you, has anyone seen that Rufford Ford on YouTube, still plenty of opportunity in the next week for absolute madness car destroying oddities on there before letting up into December.

Problem with rufford ford now is too many people and too many channels. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

alexa, show me a run to run change height anom chart we don’t want to see become a trend at day 16

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Nature, Outdoors

is that the Gefs mean?

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

alexa, show me a run to run change height anom chart we don’t want to see become a trend at day 16

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Nature, Outdoors

That is a right kick to the gonads. Looks like the complete opposite to last night's if it is the ecm. I wondered why those ecm 360 mean charts hadn't been posted this morning. Now I know why. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS temperature ensembles have donned their flip-flops it seems? But, on balance, I'd rather things turned either very cold or very mild than we end up with a pile of middling grot!😄

Could contain: Plot, Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 6