Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

you should skip school and walk into the met

Aye, Kasim, he's a bright lad?👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

My god thats a mess at 162 hours!!seems to have lost the plot!!!lets see buddy......

Very messy..   I'll take a look at // and see if that's more to a coldies liking 

1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Very messy..   I'll take a look at // and see if that's more to a coldies liking 

Messy as well..  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS and // 18z at T192:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

Remember the 12z // didn’t really engage with Greenland at this point, so that they both do is positive.  GFS leaves an annoying little low NW of UK.  Let’s see how they go from here.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted

Such a shame really!considering that the momentum was with us i did expect the 18z to look better at 192 hours but im certain its wrong and shall look better in the morning!!would av been a good send off to bed lol but it is what it is!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I find the 18Z very unlikely overall just with how the low's interact but that may be my bias coming in, if the 0Z and 6Z are back to normal, we can pretty much say that it's an outlier but for now it is what the models are showing.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Outdoors, Face, Head, Nature

Positives are that is reaffirms the blocking and WAA just a little later so it's not all bad especially with the cold air just in the near continent. Still a future -NAO opportunity it just feels a little bit off this run if you know what I mean, as in, it doesn't seem the natural evolution from here.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Face, Person, Head, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

The key takeaway from the absolute smorgasbord of solutions for mid-next week —> week 2 is that we’re going somewhere interesting but we’ve got no idea how it is we’re getting there!

Both gs op runs find blocking but make a faff of getting there. It might take 2 or 3 bites of the cherry.

Also, no obvious route to snow in the forecast at present…

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Gfs P definitely a better run with a much bigger 528 dam pool 

12z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram 

18z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature gfseu-3-216.thumb.png.c0d9cf7464cd337361732b9f75c0af30.png

1 minute ago, Josh S said:

Both gs op runs find blocking but make a faff of getting there. It might take 2 or 3 bites of the cherry.

Yeah putting the standard struggles with the way the block looks from run to run aside, that severe cold pooling really is mental 🤯😲 might be a bit of a more premium dessert than a mere cherry😛 animscc5.thumb.gif.2098c613642972ea37095d896003154a.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, Mike Poole said:

GFS having another go right at the end - I guess with this setup, if it is messy first time, there’s a good chance at another bite at the cherry, time seems on our side.  Oh, and the strat is showing a decent warming, it’s all happening…

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Time is most definitely on our side, slow moving MJO phase 6/7 and it's associated lag correlations and then recycling back probably by mid December. The associated Nino AAM is probably going to be quite persistent, you would expect that at some time that pattern flip to at least a part easterly has to come and I'm all for it and I think it may be worth the coldies getting just a little bit excited. We may have to wait a while but there should be plenty of opportunities.

I think if you told coldies that we would enter a La Nina Winter like this, they would bite your hand off for it and this setup has genuine teleconnection backup.

The impacts of climate change can be discussed as the Arctic and surrounding areas (I think) is warming faster than anywhere else but for now I think the thermal gradient is enough for that WAA to occur but where and when is up to the models to decide.

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

Both runs have little shortwaves conjoining over the uk!!!just makes the runs unrealisitic!!!gone is the clean evolution from before!!!

Unfortunately I think shortwaves over the UK during winter is very realistic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
25 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Unfortunately I think shortwaves over the UK during winter is very realistic.

Would someone mind showing a novice where these shortwaves are to be seen on the GFS 18z charts?

• Like 3