Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

That is a right kick to the gonads. Looks like the complete opposite to last night's if it is the ecm. I wondered why those ecm 360 mean charts hadn't been posted this morning. Now I know why. 

think thats a run to run differential, but can't think its Ecm - the graph and map look ok on meteociel without being spectacular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

think thats a run to run differential, but can't think its Ecm - the graph and map look ok on meteociel without being spectacular.

Thanks Feb. It isn't very clear what is but I'm sure the ecm op stops at day 10. Some clarity would be nice but I know Blue likes to play these games from time to time 😉😀

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Thanks Feb. It isn't very clear what is but I'm sure the ecm op stops at day 10. Some clarity would be nice but I know Blue likes to play these games from time to time 😉😀

It looked like a Tropical Tidbits plot, this is the EPS mean anomaly for day 15 so it wasn't that...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Hasn't helped my doubts !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Metwatch said:

Wanted to point out the current Sea Surface temperatures, They are looking quite mild relative to average, and if we manage to get colder air like what the end of The operational GFS 06z shows, the lake effect machine could be quite something, delivering a lot of snow. Still a big IF though.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

If conditions are just right, as in Goldilocks weather, some places could see some massive snowfalls.🤔 And, now for the 12Z forecasting 22C!😆

• Like 7

Posted

I went on the tropical tidbits site. Checked all 4 ensemble means for day 12 onwards.

All 4 haf heights to out northwest and lower  pressure to out south at varying intensity  

I'm not sure where @bluearmy got that plot from / so keen to understand if i missing something 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
40 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Wanted to point out the current Sea Surface temperatures, They are looking quite mild relative to average, and if we manage to get colder air like what the end of the operational GFS 06z shows, the lake effect machine could be quite something, delivering a lot of snow. Still a big IF though.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Going to take a lot of cooling to our north to get sea ice growing around Svalbard and Barents which will modify any northerly we get 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

is that the Gefs mean?

2 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

That is a right kick to the gonads. Looks like the complete opposite to last night's if it is the ecm. I wondered why those ecm 360 mean charts hadn't been posted this morning. Now I know why. 

2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It was the run to run variation from gefs 00z to gefs 06z at T378. Blues are where mean heights have dropped wrt the 00z etc etc 

an illustration of where we don’t want the runs to trend to where the Atlantic height high anomoly drops away and the euro height low anomoly does the same. we can cope with this trend occasionally from run to run but not if it continues. 

here are the two runs at the same timescale 06z and 00z. You can see where height anoms have changed which is what the original chart I posted reflects 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Head     Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Icon is on board for the easterly by day 7, much cleaner in the making compared to its last run.

A good start to the 12z’s 👌Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

I expected a better METO long range update today to be fair, I’m hoping they are just sitting on the fence not to spark any panic for those not wanting cold  - obviously nothing is certain at this stage, and they may well see this potential cold spell not really materialising to much!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It was the run to run variation from gefs 00z to gefs 06z at T378. Blues are where mean heights have dropped wrt the 00z etc etc 

an illustration of where we don’t want the runs to trend to where the Atlantic height high anomoly drops away and the euro height low anomoly does the same. we can cope with this trend occasionally from run to run but not if it continues. 

here are the two runs at the same timescale 06z and 00z. You can see where height anoms have changed which is what the original chart I posted reflects 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Head     Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Got it.  Trends..... we do like a trend..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Well, here is the 10 day trend from UK met and they are going for dry start to December

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Day 7, and the GFS isn’t as good as earlier 🤦🏼‍♂️  Doesn’t mean to say we won’t get a good day 10 onwards though - let’s see 

Could contain: Accessories, Plot, Chart, Art

Edited by Ali1977
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I'd suggest like matt said earlier don't be jumping the gun run to run. Many hurdles, shortwave etc to come. Keep your powder dry and give it while the weekend minimum. Uto 🙏🙏

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 7, and the GFS isn’t as good as earlier 🤦🏼‍♂️

Could contain: Accessories, Plot, Chart, Art

Which is why i say we need favourable developments a lot earlier for us to then benefit down the line!!nao tanking 2 weeks from now and cpc charts looking fantastic for 2 weeks from now is all well and good but we been in this situation plenty of times where everything looks rosey  in the future but then we just chasing and chasing and chasing and before u know it we are halfway through winter!!similar thing happened last winter!!!gota temper expectations!gfs could still salvage it from here!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

That Exeter update is certainly very sobering.

GFS 12Z 168

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature

shouod be ok for a drying out ..

Yup i reckon that could be that!!ukmo looking flat to the northwest and not as amplified as well at 144 hours!!!could be okay if you like the boring 8 degrees during the day and a slight frost at night!but we all looking for so much more!!

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Yup i reckon that could be that!!ukmo looking flat to the northwest and not as amplified as well at 144 hours!!!could be okay if you like the boring 8 degrees during the day and a slight frost at night!but we all looking for so much more!!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Modern Art, Art

Similar to GFS..

The something more has never been in the reliable timeframe.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2