Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

P24 GEFS 6z anyone. About the best I can do at the minute 😞

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Hurricane, Storm, Nature

Could contain: Nature, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Painting
EDIT I see @Decemberof2010 beat me to it 😃

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 6

Posted
57 minutes ago, johncam said:

Different times now as a few posters have said the normal background drivers dont seem to be influencing as normal , we have high sea temps , unusually warn near continent and European sector of Arctic with no sea ice , these are all influencing our weather so not normal 

Yes, times are different you can't deny, but if things are really that different, it almost makes looking for cold weather pointless surely?!

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well, we will see... but these charts are consistent and dont support any MJO phase 6 or 7 in the next 2 weeks.

814day.03.gif

MJO forecast and then composites based of MJO state are very complex as we all know, not just the amplitude but also the speed it moves through has an impact. Clearly it is a proven tool, as I understand it correctly studies running re analysis that show it to be good at predicting _NAO, +NAO etc, but not all the time. One could take the 46 day model runs from ECMWF which take MJO into account along with all other necessary coupling of the oceans conditions and make a decision then, but of course to be honest they aren't very clear about conditions into week 3 or 4 at all and that lends me to kind of ignore MJO forecast at least with respect to the fact it is as much a forecast as anything else even if direction of travel is kind of understood, and even if the forecast of MJO state came to pass exactly, the composite doesn't always fit given the speed and amplification etc. Too many variables at play other than MJO and too many variables in the MJO to hang your hat on in northern Europe, 10 day lag or not. I'll wait to see the 46 Day forecasts be more accurate or forthright before trying to look further into MJO myslef.

• Like 6

Posted
40 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well, we will see... but these charts are consistent and dont support any MJO phase 6 or 7 in the next 2 weeks.

814day.03.gif

Weren't these composites wrong forecast for second half of Oct seem to recall. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
9 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, times are different you can't deny, but if things are really that different, it almost makes looking for cold weather pointless surely?!

We live in hope Don , we live in hope,  will always be looking 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

The way the overnight ECM finished isn't terrible with a strong high that is in a decent position to head for Scandi and the troughing from Greenland into the Atlantic becoming more negatively tilted (a positive for easterly potential) its game very much still on from my POV 🤠 

gensnh-10-1-384.png animdsh9.gif

animjtw6.gif 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
22 minutes ago, Downburst said:

MJO forecast and then composites based of MJO state are very complex as we all know, not just the amplitude but also the speed it moves through has an impact. Clearly it is a proven tool, as I understand it correctly studies running re analysis that show it to be good at predicting _NAO, +NAO etc, but not all the time. One could take the 46 day model runs from ECMWF which take MJO into account along with all other necessary coupling of the oceans conditions and make a decision then, but of course to be honest they aren't very clear about conditions into week 3 or 4 at all and that lends me to kind of ignore MJO forecast at least with respect to the fact it is as much a forecast as anything else even if direction of travel is kind of understood, and even if the forecast of MJO state came to pass exactly, the composite doesn't always fit given the speed and amplification etc. Too many variables at play other than MJO and too many variables in the MJO to hang your hat on in northern Europe, 10 day lag or not. I'll wait to see the 46 Day forecasts be more accurate or forthright before trying to look further into MJO myslef.

Fair comment 🙂

19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yep...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ok here is my analysis on the day ten ECM chart that some find it meh!!! and i do understand why

1, it's at day ten yes

2, it has a blowtorch southerly

tedious to some and i can understand why as a newby but for a seasoned watcher like me and most of the seasoned guys in this thread we tend to explain in detail to everyone what is going on,so lets look at the bigger picture,the NH (northern hemisphere) view...

if this day ten ECM chart is anywhere near the mark come that day(i am sure it won't be) i will be bouncing about like a big baby lol.what i will explain  is as an example...

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.defbc1413317e9a6f5934ebec8966214.gif

the black line shows a split in the trop vortex,mother(stronger vortice)over the Asian side with daughter vortice North America,the red arrows show WAA(warm air advection) up through the UK and to a lesser extent into Iceland and Greenland with also WAA through Alaska,the white circle shows a little low that breaks off the daughter vortice to our NW thanks to the high developing through the UK which would possibly head south or SE,this in turn could produce an easterly of some sort(green arrow)

so that's my take on this example to explain what could happen in ten days time but this is just a review and not to be taken seriously🙂

as for the gfs,...its the latter stages of both the 00z/06z that show some interest coming in from the NW with some polar air with the azores high migrating further west out into the N Atlantic and has nothing showing by day ten like the ECM,...maybe the ECM is too progressive?

OK,...roll ya sleeves up peeps cos the 12z gfs in starting to roll out now

catch y'all soon 🙂

Edited by Allseasons-si
missed some text
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Not model output but likely to be of interest, the Met Office prognosis has had a rewrite, still sticking with the same message but giving slightly more detail, and without the pattern change being pushed back any further this time.

An earlier hint that the North was more likely to see higher pressure, dropped some days ago, seems now to have been inverted. "Colder" is now only "perhaps", "at times".

Could contain: Text, Page, Document, Word

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Phase 7 is being entered now but it's losing amplitude.

Would have to see the phase 5/6 composites for October to see how well we matched. The other anomoly charts were not bad during October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The coming 2/3 weeks will be a good test for the mjo forecast and it's associated analogue.

Certainly recent ens guidance shows the Scuero ridge and likely development of a high close to our east or north east in week 2.

Let's see if the Atlantic jet is forced further south in time and undercuts the high.

Not yet though but possibly later in the month when conditions become more favourable to get the cold.

Certainly it's early days yet I am thinking let the Atlantic roar for now allow for the lag effect and see what happens around mid month onwards.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

The coming 2/3 weeks will be a good test for the mjo forecast and it's associated analogue.

Certainly recent ens guidance shows the Scuero ridge and likely development of a high close to our east or north east in week 2.

Let's see if the Atlantic jet is forced further south in time and undercuts the high.

Not yet though but possibly later in the month when conditions become more favourable to get the cold.

Certainly it's early days yet I am thinking let the Atlantic roar for now allow for the lag effect and see what happens around mid month onwards.

Could I get a jargon bust on Scuero? Google gives me pictures of Squirtle...

Posted
Just now, RainAllNight said:

Could I get a jargon bust on Scuero? Google gives me pictures of Squirtle...

Lol It's a mongrel name some of us have adopted to cover a combination Euro/Scandinavian high pressure area.

Posted
3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Lol It's a mongrel name some of us have adopted to cover a combination Euro/Scandinavian high pressure area.

Ahhh I see, something like this then. Thanks!

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Mild it may be, but this inside day 10 gfs chart has a 1045mb Scandi high and an easterly flow in the SE…

Could contain: Graphics, Art

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Ahhh I see, something like this then. Thanks!

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram

Yes.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Josh S said:

Mild it may be, but this inside day 10 gfs chart has a 1045mb Scandi high and an easterly flow in the SE…

Interesting..  would topple 😉 had to get that one in...

Posted
9 minutes ago, Josh S said:

If that HP stayed put, how long would it take the green uppers to reach England from this point?

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Interesting..  would topple 😉 had to get that one in...

Perhaps, but it would put the cat amongst the strat pigeons before it did…

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Advertisement, Poster

Now 1050mb with a Italian low underneath. Hardly a classic sinker! Though the ridge that verifies might well do!

• Like 2

Posted

Cold blob alert😁

Could contain: Art, Painting, Modern Art, GraphicsCould contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Nature

...although rather small

seriously though,...there is some interesting output to disguss at last 🙂

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

If that HP stayed put, how long would it take the green uppers to reach southern England from this point?

Second week in January for the blues?!😁

• Like 2

Posted

Now i am watching out for re-amplification into Griceland as the high retrogresses west.

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Advertisement

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

i don't buy into this but it's more likely than a nina uk late nov loading pattern.

Could contain: Art, Painting, Modern Art, Graphics

A few tweaks and that could be interesting for those in the east…

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, GPS, Electronics

Could contain: Nature, Map, Diagram, Plot, Outdoors, Land, Rainforest, Plant, Tree, Vegetation

Could contain: Nature, Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Ocean

• Like 3