Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

I'm no expert but surely this is a extraordinary chart for December 5th from the ICON 12z:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Certainly unusual for December. Although uppers aren’t that cold. I’m certain some areas will see the odd wintry shower. Off that 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Awful outlook really..

Could contain: Chart, Dynamite, Weapon

I was about to post this - About as clear cut as it's possible to get for a -NAO outlook. If this were to fail it would surely be a bigger model bust than when the 2012 easterly failed.

Detail re: UK less clear cut than the broader picture of course but given the monumental amount of blocking we're seeing it's surely only a matter of time before deeper cold (& thus snow) reaches our shores.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ooh Tony - where did you get access to Decider ? 

It just popped up onto Twitter feed Nick - if only !

Posted

I don't suppose anybody knows what GLOSEA is currently showing, do they?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I don't suppose anybody knows what GLOSEA is currently showing, do they?

I’m guessing the high not going as far nw as we may wish. But without much confidence?

Edited by That ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yup..

Want that low waaaaaay outta the way.

Another poster pointed out that it would reduce the chance of frontal snow if we didn't have waves of mild air coming up from the south. Although I assume the same mild air would melt the snow quickly once it hit the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Next stop,...better heights S tip of Greenland  on both the op and parra than on the 06z 144hrs>

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Looks decent to my untrained eye . UKMO 144

4B32C80A-1E72-4893-863F-4C136445BACF.gif

4768A203-B9FD-41B6-9F15-3D5AF4DA44F3.gif

Could contain: Hog, Mammal, Animal, Pig, Photography, Man, Adult, Male, Person

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I have to be honest regarding the UKMO, At day 6 it doesn’t look like we would get the window to build that high properly to the north west as the jet stream appears to be much stronger than any other output. On the other hand it is probably another rather erroneous day 6 chart.?

image.thumb.gif.8b5524f4553c5d02b7668b7dc7ddbf0a.gif

The fact that the Siberian/Canadian vortices are fully connected is the reason as cold air will transfer to the Canadian side. The GFS/ICON are nowhere near this though.

The easterly at day 4-7 is still uncertain in terms of how clean and cold it will be. There is still a chance of some flakes of snow if the airmass is cold enough.

Good effort from the GFS

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Cold air pushing westwards through Europe.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

What does this mean please someone ? 

It's a regime chart based on the latest UKMO, ECM & GFS runs. It's showing rock solid support for a -NAO pattern through the entire first half of December. Doesn't say much about UK detail though in terms of mild/cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

For the heck of it as I don't usually find much time for this these days... here's more detail on the key 06z v 12z GFS run differences for what happens next weekend to the west & southwest of the UK.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Collage, Outdoors

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

The 06z slide a low SE from the S tip of Greenland to merge with another to the W of the UK. The 12z slides the low later and less emphatically, preventing that merger and allowing high pressure to bridge the gap.

Meanwhile, the low to the SW of the UK is far less consolidated on the 12z run. This appears unrelated to what goes on to its north - a bit of internal variability from GFS - it just happens to be a less efficient baroclinic process on this run. Reality does tend to be toward the less efficient end of the spectrum (as many will attest to in their daily lives).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

At 174 on the GFS Op, some decent cold advancing towards us from the east!

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art, Disk  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Nature, Face, Person, Head

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I have to be honest regarding the UKMO, At day 6 it doesn’t look like we would get the window to build that high properly to the north west as the jet stream appears to be much stronger than any other output. On the other hand it is probably another rather erroneous day 6 chart.?

image.thumb.gif.8b5524f4553c5d02b7668b7dc7ddbf0a.gif

The fact that the Siberian/Canadian vortices are fully connected is the reason as cold air will transfer to the Canadian side. The GFS/ICON are nowhere near this though.

The easterly at day 4-7 is still uncertain in terms of how clean and cold it will be. There is still a chance of some flakes of snow if the airmass is cold enough.

I was thinking it looks good and expecting low heights to drain away from S Greenland at 168 

Eeek.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
4 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

What does this mean please someone ? 

Negative NAO 

Posted

The Iberian area low is very flabby on the 12z compared to the 06z. Certainly, very far from the climatic norm this entire setup playing out, that's for sure. I am loving it, not least the dry (ish) air incoming.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Pattern, Accessories

Edit, it gets it act together around 200 hrs. This will be very interesting as to how far north it gets of course. It's our kind of steering low as this plays out.  

Edited by Downburst
  • Like 6