Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

ECH1-192.GIF?01-0

I like this new Scandi-High building up...again...

• Like 6

Posted

Surely ECM is correct at day 5 over the rest, 

I assume because the high is so strong it sends the jet much further south, clearing that pesky low near Iberia out the way that we've been complaining about for days 

ECH4-120.gif

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Deep snowfall…..

BFTP

00z was actually snowier ..see below comparison 

60BAA3DB-5FE6-479C-B6D5-90AFCA149AAE.jpeg

F89CC3F2-C49A-4D1C-A95A-BE6A9CC22FC5.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Excellent ECM but if you want perfection then a correction south of about 100 miles or so would make it so. 

Looking increasingly likely we’re to experience a decent period of cold weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Severe frost, a week Friday morning on ECM

2mtemp_20221201_12_186.jpg

Raw showing -6 so I'd say -6 to -8 minima fairly widely...isolated spots (with snowcover) -10C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Vikos said:

ECH1-192.GIF?01-0

I like this new Scandi-High building up...again...

Yes, for longevity we need the HP to be recycled

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Tim Bland said:

00z was actually snowier ..see below comparison 

60BAA3DB-5FE6-479C-B6D5-90AFCA149AAE.jpeg

F89CC3F2-C49A-4D1C-A95A-BE6A9CC22FC5.jpeg

Following snow charts is ludicrous at this range, I understand the idea of taking a run at face value but we have seen time and time again random shortwaves and convection being picked at D3. 

But I will concede, place the centre of that low SE 100 - 150 miles and it’s golden. 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think there is similarities between this run and this mornings run, it's a good run though because you get the initial proper cold blast followed by slack low pressure with the potential for some nice frosty weather. 

Obviously if you want something more long term, the initial northerly needs to be further eastwards but amplification to remain as good as the ECM shows and not like the UKMO run for example. 

I think the differences are far greater than similarities?

B410634C-295E-469A-8761-A2675C71043B.png

134DA8F1-A508-4A4C-A551-BE1FE79540D3.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

ECM at 216h, going for a renewed Scandi High.
Excellent developments.

1dec-EC12-216.thumb.png.9ecb42c9febf746196c537907ce45e85.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
12 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM T144 looks seriously wintry. Although, lows approaching from the NE aren't always as snowy as they might look.

Uh oh, @tight isobar is going to be coming after you now 🤣

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Tidal Wave said:

ECMWF 216 hrs - seriously cold under that I would think and no sign of an end.

image.thumb.png.940bee673c19c3f5433bfb0b174cba43.png

A very similar set upon December 18th 2010 gave the south and SE a massive dump of snow:

image.thumb.png.3f8fb1fb6fb83e1bba0f520de553f7b0.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Amazing ecm at 168 hours and a massive improvement over the 00z!!

“Son, did I ever tell you about the time we had to dig our car out on the A6 near Birstall?”

“What dad, last Thursday?”

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Cold Winter Night said:

ECM at 216h, going for a renewed Scandi High.
Excellent developments.

1dec-EC12-216.thumb.png.9ecb42c9febf746196c537907ce45e85.png

Perhaps bits of the vortex will keep dropping off and hitting us until next March. We would have had enough by then 😂

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Surely ECM is correct at day 5 over the rest, 

I assume because the high is so strong it sends the jet much further south, clearing that pesky low near Iberia out the way that we've been complaining about for days 

ECH4-120.gif

Only if it's get its amplification into Greenland right, if not then maybe we will see something closer to the initial GFS/UKMO projections of the northerly thrust being further eastwards. 

ECM definately feels like high risk but high reward as you don't want things too far west otherwise you end up with scraps but it's the same if things are too far east also but you probably got more room for error as the GFS shows(e.g the significant cold does eventually arrive). 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 hours ago, Tamara said:

And here it is. The retrogressing block signal that is now fully advertised by numerical models.  Very robust -ve East Asian Mountain Torque (shaded blue above 30N and the red line on the torque graph) essentially creating an extra tropical wind-flow vacuum in the Pacific as the starting pistol to a powerful downstream retrograde signal. As suggested yesterday it's a biggie, and there are ramifications from this signal for quite some time to come which is the fascination for me.

718710103_EAMTDec22.thumb.GIF.59925d8a5f2606a9a422783a6698a2d8.GIF

The question remains long term how far the retrograde evolves and how the -ve NAO behaves accordingly. The intuitive reasoning remains that attritional battle ground towards NW Europe culminates in an attempted breakdown - which tries to re-set to another Atlantic trough and amplifying downstream ridge. Does the Eurasian feedback reload this as another Scandinavian block, or, does the polar jet then prevail and create a more traditional zonal pattern with heights across mainland Europe?   

Finely balanced in my neutrally objective opinion as much more work will be required from the tropics next time round to assist, with angular momentum at a lower base level than it has been up to this -VE EAMT. Reasoning behind that has been given fully already this week.  I don't personally, at this time, believe the Eurasian feedback signal on its own is enough.

However, all of that is some way ahead. From my own point of view though, the evolution of the diagnostic remains the focal interest.

Absolutely Tamara, the daily model runs will ultimately inform us of the eventual outcome. Lots of fun to be had following the events. Hopefully you’ll come along for the ride, that is what makes the MOD such an interesting, informative and addictive place to be. All levels of expertise deciphering all sorts of fluctuations from the models.

Absolutely love it 🙂 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, danm said:

A very similar set upon December 18th 2010 gave the south and SE a massive dump of snow:

image.thumb.png.3f8fb1fb6fb83e1bba0f520de553f7b0.png

Reached here too, great day, but S/SE and W Midlands had over a foot, 10cms or so here

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Following snow charts is ludicrous at this range, I understand the idea of taking a run at face value but we have seen time and time again random shortwaves and convection being picked at D3. 

But I will concede, place the centre of that low SE 100 - 150 miles and it’s golden. 

I don’t disagree, details far from certain, just replying to a comment on this run that referred to “Deep snowfall” …there’s deep cold, but not deep widespread snow on this particular run for most 

• Like 1

Posted

Looking more complicated now, and it really makes you wonder if it’s going to work out like this.

Certainly charts and airflows we are not used to seeing.

image.thumb.png.7fd68e51e11e58aee9ae8e3d55d622b5.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

In many ways yes, but it's interesting in this set up because that snow distribution chart would be very much what you would expect to see. The lack of wind promotes cold but isn't particularly helpful for generating lots of snow. In summer months this set up would bring huge storms but at this time of the year, its very cold but fairly dry. This would also be a nightmare for energy companies as it would really hit wind power. 

• Like 2