Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just seems to be getting better run by run. The GEM is pretty insane. Some will be getting buried if that verifies! Every model seems to be singing off the same hymn sheet too, which is that bit more reassuring. 
ECM, over to you. 

• Like 6

Posted

The GEFS mean at day 12 still going strong for the cold pattern, big upgrade on the 18z you’ll see - this will be classed as a pretty severe spell I reckon. 

B5BB3A98-45D0-406A-82E0-E27BA29CB71F.png

A51E3D9E-46E0-47BC-ABD4-0CF326F80FCF.png

The control at day 12 is amazing , a full reload of northern blocking , likely leading to more severe cold. 

3E03A5B8-E217-47BD-B1B4-FCBF47CEEC5F.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

We're seeing a change of direction in the mid-longer term here...one where the HP doesn't completely retrogress but slips back towards Scandi instead.

I'm telling you now, a surface HP forming there could prolong this spell to Christmas, potentially getting more severe. Both the GEM and GFS are attempting to re-amplify towards the E coast of USA/Canada at the same time as pressure rising again across Scandi. They're attempting the holy grail...

Yes seeing the HP bulge towards north Scandi is a sign it re-establishes itself to elongate this .  A great sign imo, excellent start.  Drop 1 coming up

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, John88B said:

I've heard it said on here before by a few posters that a proper severe cold spell is becoming impossible without a SSW.

Well this up and coming cold spell could put that theory to bed.

Yes, my own conclusion is that that is becoming true for the second half of winter.  But I have always pointed to 2009 and 2010 as evidence that a severe cold spell can occur in early winter without a SSW.  These years are recent enough in the scheme of climate change to still be highly relevant possibilities, as we are seemingly going to find out this year! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Battleground Snow said:

The lack of vortex in the Canadian sector has to be a massive positive, nothing to put pressure on the Northern blocking, with any low pressure systems far enough south to disrupt, can't say I've seen a set up like this in December before.

It's VERY exciting could this be the build up to Christmas I've been dreaming of... Gfs going strong in its output today 

• Like 5

Posted

GFS raw data for my location, which is a very central point of the country with modest elevation (150m asl). Not the sort of start to winter we normally see in the U.K.!

A2C28D1F-CB7D-42FA-99CB-39E25278B0B1.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 7

Posted

Ecm 120 similar timings and location with trough drop as last night.. just a tad nervous if it will drop west  or wash out over us next frames.

image.thumb.png.3fd57bc052b992856da7fe2fceebe0f3.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Ecm 144 I’m not sure.. looks like it did drop west a little too much too our north..

image.thumb.png.a6d6a001d154d93f4ea51166b30a6472.png

But look at that Greeny block, it’s huge. Looks great to me - hopefully I’m right 🤞 The expanse of cold air is most notable, lots of wiggle room and all roads lead to cold now. 

6C4D960F-E94F-4EB5-BB82-A2899CEB36CF.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

But look at that Greeny block, it’s huge. Looks great to me - hopefully I’m right 🤞

Hopefully for once it will slightly topple which is no bad thing from current position towards scandi and shunt the trough directly south.. that’s what I would hope to see 168

image.thumb.png.9958002b7ccdd324d64a5818e480d930.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Hopefully for once it will slightly topple which is no bad thing from current position towards scandi and shunt the trough directly south.. that’s what I would hope to see 168

image.thumb.png.9958002b7ccdd324d64a5818e480d930.png

Not toppled yet but look at that deep deep cold building in Scandy - hopefully on its way here!! 
What a first week of winter viewing 😄

BFC782F2-0EE6-4969-97A2-38272928000B.png

F4200DA9-5122-44F9-8314-7C79F13FA757.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Not toppled yet but look at that deep deep cold building in Scandy - hopefully on its way here!! 

BFC782F2-0EE6-4969-97A2-38272928000B.png

F4200DA9-5122-44F9-8314-7C79F13FA757.png

Hope so.. come on 192 as I will admit to being a little concerned it’s washing out over us…

Posted
11 minutes ago, John88B said:

I've heard it said on here before by a few posters that a proper severe cold spell is becoming impossible without a SSW.

Well this up and coming cold spell could put that theory to bed.

Well this could be a great setup for UK, for the rest not so much. For me proper severe cold spell would be whole Europe in the freezer but looking at the GFS ENS for Central Europe, it's nothing to write home about. 

image.thumb.png.ce5d308106b4e75d5e1d1eddf7ac51d1.png 

• Like 1

Posted

That’ll do , what a chart with another shot of WAA heading up through Greenland. This is gaining traction here, not just a cold spell now , maybe an extreme type event (longevity rather than extreme temps) 

FCCEAC86-73D8-405F-B528-2FE8FF003BE7.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4