Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

We're seeing a change of direction in the mid-longer term here...one where the HP doesn't completely retrogress but slips back towards Scandi instead.

I'm telling you now, a surface HP forming there could prolong this spell to Christmas, potentially getting more severe. Both the GEM and GFS are attempting to re-amplify towards the E coast of USA/Canada at the same time as pressure rising again across Scandi. They're attempting the holy grail...

Yes Crewe some of the modelling over that last few days has suggested the Holy grail  of the ongoing oscillation of hieghts between scandi and greenie.  Havent commented because I didn't want to jinx the runs. But glad some one else has noticed it too.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Hmm, ECM 00zis a bit squeaky bum time for us southerners...  (I adore that phrase haha!) I pray it's a wobble!

image.gif

Edited by LightningLover
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

That is so close to being a stunner of a chart at day 8. The only reason it isn’t is purely due to that low blowing up (unlikely in reality)

image.thumb.gif.35ea8c297561da73e3cf94557e0faf9a.gif

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

Could go all wrong for southern locations opening up the mild Atlantic.

Maybe the battle zone, and we love a battle zone ❄️❄️❄️ 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

That’ll do , what a chart with another shot of WAA heading up through Greenland. This is gaining traction here, not just a cold spell now , maybe an extreme type event (longevity rather than extreme temps) 

FCCEAC86-73D8-405F-B528-2FE8FF003BE7.png

20 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Is it really that good chart..milder air trying to come in from the south?but we could produce a easterly next

Posted

But colder uppers washing out.. maybe I’m misreading ecm but personally it’s the least favourite this morning for me.. all very messy and trough losing up ompth over us and uppers mixing out. Sorry for being a bit dolly downer on it

image.thumb.png.85f484e494da6bfd2e8f3bd4d94213d7.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, can't remember who said it yesterday but there were some very wise words about not getting hung up over 850s post day 5 🙂 Well worth noting on busy charts like the ECM D6-7... this morning!

Posted

There’s a big snow event there….a long way off, let’s get the cold in first. 

F0CFE015-25F5-416D-AB2D-A03FD0EA27CE.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Interested if you know what this is @Eagle Eye!! Didn't realise it still existed as recently as 2010...

Teletext I think, my nan used it up until it was deleted,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

But colder uppers washing out.. maybe I’m misreading ecm but personally it’s the least favourite this morning for me.. all very messy and trough losing up ompth over us and uppers mixing out. Sorry for being a bit dolly downer on it

image.thumb.png.85f484e494da6bfd2e8f3bd4d94213d7.png

In reality the low approaching from the south west will be shallower with the jet stream flatter through the Mediterranean Sea. A tad unlucky to get the mild air pushing into the south but the set up is so close to delivering bitterly cold conditions for all and the likelihood of snow for many.

• Like 3

Posted

Positive air into the south at day 9.. hopefully correction south as huge potential waiting in the wings if the low scooted along a couple of hundred miles south

image.thumb.gif.a481eabfe1221f8004df70cfb67a9d78.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS control has a similar evolution from the ECM, but the Atlantic low undercuts and we get a cold reinforcement from the north to keep those spoiler lows at bay:

animtjq9.gif

Everything delayed on the ECM, so we end up with temporary warm air in the south. This is way too far ahead to worry about, and we await further runs to gauge what our likely solution is.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Positive air into the south at day 9.. hopefully correction south as huge potential waiting in the wings if the low scooted along a couple of hundred miles south

image.thumb.gif.a481eabfe1221f8004df70cfb67a9d78.gif

The blowing up the low to the SW is probably on the extremities of the envelope.  Fine margins here and there.  The initial attack from the north east is slightly too far west.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about all this..even at 144-168 it appears most of the cold air spreads west to the northwest of the uk..we need a eastwards shift here..and the whole system needs to be further South

• Thanks 1

Posted

That’s a crazy chart, a great NH still and I imagine this run is much more severe than the 850s suggest - midlands north just under a constant snow storm. 

4550ADE0-81D8-45A7-A2A4-7826FF57D60A.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Preferring the GEM solution this morning of hieghts rebuilding to our northeast after the initial trough plunge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Both are the GEFS and GEPS really extend the blocking signal out beyond 300 hours. The latter in particular are quite remarkable.

This is the GEPS at the very end of its run

image.thumb.png.eea4c9b06edd2f7aa4a7176500a31e68.png
Such a strong signal for continued Greenland heights!

At 348, the GEFS  still has us in a slack easterly flow 

image.thumb.png.530f7afe6ccf69bf68de7bb23b8b1470.png

And  are far colder and for longer than the 18z as a result.

The ecm op is going to be very very snowy, were that scenario to manifest then someone would be under a blizzard.

image.thumb.png.06b0c3cec3996aaf256362c6b52cad0c.png
And the Greenland heights survive. Wild run, unlikely to verify, but amazing to witness.

This cold spell is looking more and more likely and significant.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 5