Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

ECM ops have been shocking over the last few days with consistent outliers. No exception on the 0Z:

image.thumb.png.5d8c01f948e3f10e5fa5f556ca9030b8.png

Ignore post D7 on this run as statistically it is useless.

Now that’s the definition of an outlier. Wow 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Wow, stunning ECM, I love the Northern England Blizzard at +240, haven't seen a chart like that since 1979.

In Cumbria for example 850 temperatures stays below -7c from next Wednesday morning to the end of the run, ain't nothing marginal about those uppers.

GFS is better for the south but really at this range it's just variation on a theme, it's going to get damn cold if those runs verify.

And that's my only concern, that the cold is still 5 days away and with shortwave now in the mix this could still go wrong.

I have been in Southern Spain since early September and like the uk it's been exceptionally warm, landing at Manchester airport next Wednesday afternoon is going to be a shock! 😆 Andy

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Jayces said:

Can't help thinking I read a variation of this every year from you Nick when something promising on the wintery front shows up. There's always a shortwave here or shift in a different direction there!

I'm looking forward to a surprise post along the lines of oh that all went really smoothly, enjoy the snow all 🙂

Still early days, winter has just started and no need for folks to throw on the towel just yet, the building blocks seem to be falling in place for an early taste of wintery weather for some.

Very funny ! In an ever changing world isn’t it nice to know some things stay the same ! 

I tend to look at the models and UK cold from what can go wrong and margin for error .

Once those factors are fed into my supercomputer and the all systems go threshold is met I’ll be happy to report that ! 

At the moment there’s still some changes likely within the overall set up and how far west the cold plunge occurs .

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Thankfully ECM is a huge outlier with that low later in the run. And as we all know anyway, these lows more often than not trend further and further south in a cold set up as time draws nearer. Barely scraping the south coast usually!

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all.GFS/ECM along with other models showing a very cold blast from the north snow in many places,once again Atlantic lows trying to push in from the south southwest lot’s of uncertainty on how much inroads it can make against the cold heavey block.Could be winter wonder land.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, IDO said:

ECM ops have been shocking over the last few days with consistent outliers. No exception on the 0Z:

image.thumb.png.5d8c01f948e3f10e5fa5f556ca9030b8.png

Ignore post D7 on this run as statistically it is useless.

Just because something is an outlier, it does not mean it's wrong so no... It should not be binned. 

There is an element of risk of getting the northerly in quicker however it could be high reward but only if the cold air gets far enough south and has enough depth to it! The ECM 00Z op seems fairly simple, it pulls the set up too far north and west, still a very good run mind but because of that it does open the door to milder air in the south, high reward potentially if your in the right spot but dissapointment for others. 

Pleasing UKMO after yesterday's run but today's GFS is a dissapointment and I still have that feeling there's a chance the northey could end up being too weak to bring significant cold. GFS run has a feel your rewards will come if your patient enough but it never will. 

Getting not too far off the stage where even the details to an extent will be nailed on, I think the northerly is nailed but how cold will it be and what happens after if the trough does end up over the UK. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Just because something is an outlier, it does not mean it's wrong so no... It should not be binned. 

There is an element of risk of getting the northerly in quicker however it could be high reward but only if the cold air gets far enough south and has enough depth to it! The ECM 00Z op seems fairly simple, it pulls the set up too far north and west, still a very good run mind but because of that it does open the door to milder air in the south, high reward potentially if your in the right spot but dissapointment for others. 

Pleasing UKMO after yesterday's run but today's GFS is a dissapointment and I still have that feeling there's a chance the northey could end up being too weak to bring significant cold. GFS run has a feel your rewards will come if your patient enough but it never will. 

Getting not too far off the stage where even the details to an extent will be nailed on, I think the northerly is nailed but how cold will it be and what happens after if the trough does end up over the UK. 

GFS is fantastic lol, nice slack easterly across the UK and it only strengthens later on. Lots of snow showers for the E. Northerly is good but snow risk reduced.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s. ‘One of those’ days guys.  From when I started at 0500 it’s now colder….a getting colder day.  Love it

BFTP

Love those days too. Blast.

• Like 2

Posted

The way ECM blows up the low to our south west tmhas two precedence.

1 We are seeing in effect what hsppens all the time in Western Atlantic in that cold air spilling off a land mass into the ocean creates a low pressure, just this time its off euro continent instead of American 

2nd similar thing happened to end 2018 beast.

So I'm putting more confidence in day 9 and 10 than want too 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

GFS is fantastic lol, nice slack easterly across the UK and it only strengthens later on. Lots of snow showers for the E. Northerly is good but snow risk reduced.

I'd rather northerly! E'lys are not always cold, like next few days still fairly mild before northerly arrives on Wed, FI low on EC, looks very snowy for a time, but too far north for the south to avoid a thaw

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

image.thumb.png.90ccc23fb3c454c2cc712d7c3a138c53.png  Slight noob(ish) question but looking at that 528 dam line/thickness, does this strongly suggest higher probability of wintery stuff from about next Thursday?

image.thumb.png.03455b26b3597fa225604e35d88a3429.png And this looking like cold uppers  (for Mids in this case) across the near period into mid December?

Looking good, yes? 

Edited by B-C
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

The way ECM blows up the low to our south west tmhas two precedence.

1 We are seeing in effect what hsppens all the time in Western Atlantic in that cold air spilling off a land mass into the ocean creates a low pressure, just this time its off euro continent instead of American 

2nd similar thing happened to end 2018 beast.

So I'm putting more confidence in day 9 and 10 than want too 

It should definitely not be discounted, but the intensity and suddenness of the low as well as the lack of support for it (currently) means it remains a very unlikely verification, IMO.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

It takes a while to get the significant cold in(uppers of  -8) and if its too ENE'ly early on then the warm north sea will come into play. Feels likes it's "jam tomorrow" type of stuff on this GFS run. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Think the differences between the models with handling the development of low pressure near the UK later next week is down to how they handle deep cold pool / upper vortex dropping south from Svalbard earlier in the week. EC moves a deeper vortex south towards the UK, which results in larger pressure falls further north over UK  than GFS which takes the upper vortex more into Scandinavia. can also see, below, the different shape of the Greenland high.

ECMOPEU00_120_1.thumb.png.d0291d5645971ebdac0b1fa0b845496e.pngGFSOPEU00_120_1.thumb.png.d81105abac62bdbdfda7d9ecebf8eab6.png

Don't think the models will resolve this upper feature dropping down from data sparse arctic well at this range, particularly when they differ as early as day 5 with the shape of the block over Greenland and the deep cold vortices being dislodged from the north pole as a result.

So perhaps not worth analysing too much detail and thus marginality later next week ...

High Nick,totally agree could go down to 48 hrs /72hrs before a more positive picture is shown,but the north looks likely to get a lot of the white stuff.The south is 50/50 at present but as you say positioning of the high plus the heavey cold column of Arctic air.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1