Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I don't like it when these lazy lines come out with no evidence to back it up. This is the Met forecast extended forecast from the 2nd December. Looks pretty spot on to me for the very cold spell that fell within that period. At that range they couldn't possible have forecast the small feature that clipped the SE on the 11/12th which brought all of the snowfall.

Thursday 8 Dec - Saturday 17 Dec

It will likely continue to be cold with further showers for much of the UK, which will fall as sleet and snow across the north leading to some accumulations of snow across higher ground, showers falling as rain or sleet more likely in parts of the south. Away from coasts there will likely be a good deal of fine and dry weather with sunny spells at times in the south, but with some sharp overnight frosts expected. There is a small chance that some less cold weather and rain could push up into the extreme south later on in the forecast period. On balance, however temperatures remaining cold or very cold everywhere in the UK throughout.

Agreed

Feels like people have a pop at the Met when they aren't getting their own way weather-wise as if it's their fault. Kind of like... "It ain't snowing, the Met forecast no snow for the foreseeable but they're rubbish and get everything wrong anyway so I'm sure it will snow despite all evidence pointing the opposite" seems to be the attitude

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

I have to laugh 😂 the model forum guys are still trying to be positive and finding anything they can to get that cold chart…Met office have confirmed today no hint, not a sniff of cold next 2weeks and looks like that further ahead also…Even if we did no chance on earth we will see anything like the 2 weeks in December…It’s a warming climate so unfortunately tough for cold lovers 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes people talking about 'seasonal ' weather. In UK mild wet and windy in winter, spring, summer, autumn is just as seasonal as anything else. How many years have we had appalling summers because of southerly tracking low pressures on a never ending jet stream. Loads. Same with winter. In fact same anytime the jet stream gets in to such a position. Like now.

• Like 2

Posted

With each day passing, we seem to be edging ever closer to game over for a 'coldies' winter.  However, I'm not saying we are at that stage just yet as it is only the 5th January after all, but it's not looking too good!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Don said:

With each day passing, we seem to be edging ever closer to game over for a 'coldies' winter.  However, I'm not saying we are at that stage just yet as it is only the 5th January after all, but it's not looking too good!!

C'mon Don, you know you want to say it, winter is .........................

you'll feel better, it's the hope that kills you 😄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
19 minutes ago, Don said:

Currently not looking too good for coldies but we’re not even at half way point and there have been many a classic cold spell in February. Not saying that’ll happen, of course, but my feeling is winter ain’t done with us yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Still 2 months to go and tbh February is a better month for snow around here

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Currently not looking too good for coldies but we’re not even at half way point and there have been many a classic cold spell in February. Not saying that’ll happen, of course, but my feeling is winter ain’t done with us yet

Exactly. 1946/47 didn’t take off until late January, and look what happened there.

Not saying anything close to that will happen, but I wouldn’t write off a cold period in late January or early February.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

C'mon Don, you know you want to say it, winter is .........................

you'll feel better, it's the hope that kills you 😄

I want to say it but would probably be banned!! 😱

8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Exactly. 1946/47 didn’t take off until late January, and look what happened there.

Not saying anything close to that will happen, but I wouldn’t write off a cold period in late January or early February.

I think we are looking at February as the last chance saloon now!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Late March for snow possible, last year had a dusting on 31st

Yep, same for me.

Posted
57 minutes ago, Don said:

I want to say it but would probably be banned!! 😱

I think we are looking at February as the last chance saloon now!

You can’t write off March either.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You can’t write off March either.

No, but March is a spring month, albeit a hangover from winter.

17 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

March 2008 and 2013 being examples.

And 2018.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

March can be very cold, much in the same way that September can be very warm. So there is still plenty of time yet for some wintry surprises. I do think it is better to have the best of wintry conditions in Jan or Feb though.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Late March for snow possible, last year had a dusting on 31st

Same here, that and the late Nov snow was the only snowfall we got. Winter 2021/22 had zilch 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Given my location I wouldn't really want a cold (late) March or April as there's next to no chance of any meaningful snowfall by then. I prefer spring warmth by then. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Given my location I wouldn't really want a cold (late) March or April as there's next to no chance of any meaningful snowfall by then. I prefer spring warmth by then. 

Do you remember if you had any snow on 6th April 2008 as Portsmouth had a few inches, although it had almost all gone by mid afternoon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
8 minutes ago, Don said:

Do you remember if you had any snow on 6th April 2008 as Portsmouth had a few inches, although it had almost all gone by mid afternoon!

i lived inland back then, near Winchester, and I don't remember there being anything significant at that time.  

Saying that I do remember seeing falling snow on my mums birthday in early April once. Nothing settled that day though. 

Edited by matt111
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, slater said:

I have to laugh 😂 the model forum guys are still trying to be positive and finding anything they can to get that cold chart…Met office have confirmed today no hint, not a sniff of cold next 2weeks and looks like that further ahead also…Even if we did no chance on earth we will see anything like the 2 weeks in December…It’s a warming climate so unfortunately tough for cold lovers 

Rather odd post. If anything cold is shown in the models, it’s going to be discussed in the model discussion. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

April .... It'll be back ... in April ...

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

lol, you know when things are bad when this old chestnut is starting to be wheeled out.

Saying that, winter 1854-55 CET was something like 5.6°C by the 9th of January and then came the 2nd half.......

Winter 1852-53 had a CET of 6.4°C by the start of February.......and this Birmingham tailor gave up on winter and started flogging off his winter gear.    

Could contain: Book, Publication, Text, Newspaper

Guess what the CET for February was.........0.6°C   and March was 3.4°C

If only he had held his nerve...........

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Well, same old story now, Winter 2022/23 is none existent, one slightly cooler spell in December, not cold by any means and now zonal for the foreseeable, just praying the up coming summer hasn't the misery of record breaking temps again. There is only so much crap weather that can be endured.

• Like 1