Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, S Bragg said:

I can't even be bothered to watch, we already know what it's going to be - Atlantic-driven, unsettled, rain, windy at times etc etc.

Same. Ain't watching to be disappointed 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Compared to summers around it...still warmer than average, just because we had more mixed conditions and rainfall didn't make it 'foul and rotten' (maybe to you but probably not for farmers). Maybe when we get a cooler than average summer which hasn't happened since 2012 with similar conditions you might have a point, like some of the summers of late 70's, post mid-80's and a few in the 90's.

When you have a month period running at 250% of normal rainfall between 15th June and 15th July locally, I think its fair to say it was a total stinker. I locally managed a 3 week period of 10hrs total sunshine in that lot, that would be poor even in winter (though I admit I was unlucky with several days of training convection whilst places 25 miles north had sunshine all day) That's not to mention a really poor August that struggled to get I to the 20s. The warmer than average was a function of mins holding up and two warmer bursts either side of that dreadful spell.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
35 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Same. Ain't watching to be disappointed 

It's a mugs game!! 😬

• Like 2

Posted

can't wait for average temps next week.. the bar has been set so low its laughable 😂

This month does remind me of 2020, hopefully February doesn't follow suit!

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Frigid said:

can't wait for average temps next week.. the bar has been set so low its laughable 😂

Temperatures may not reach double figures in the south for a day or two next week.  Brrrrr! 🥶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
14 minutes ago, Don said:

Temperatures may not reach double figures in the south for a day or two next week.  Brrrrr! 🥶

It didn't today here, just about. Felt cold too in comparison. Back to recent normality tomorrow though.

Also the first totally dry day of the year and the first in what seems like weeks.

Edited by matt111

Posted
27 minutes ago, Don said:

Yea was freezing today - 8c lol

Posted
18 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea was freezing today - 8c lol

It was -8 where you was?! Was that in a walk in freezer?! 🤪🤣

Posted

Constant mild, double figure temperatures, wind, rain 🌧️ and winter Love Island 🏝️ round the corner… have I time travelled somehow back to January 2020? 🤪

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another rancid day across the UK, with a huge blanket of persistent rain covering most of the country. Relentless. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

Morning all. Another windy day in tower crane land. Feet up 😆👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Almost a proper winters day, proper weather, just needs to be a tad colder, not bad though, bit more seasonal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Yet another putrid day here in Somerset. 

Give it another 4 or 5 months, with a bit of dry weather, and some bright spark or another will be droning on about water shortages and droughts. 

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Almost a proper winters day, proper weather, just needs to be a tad colder, not bad though, bit more seasonal!

Rain should be snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
46 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Yet another putrid day here in Somerset. 

Give it another 4 or 5 months, with a bit of dry weather, and some bright spark or another will be droning on about water shortages and droughts. 

Laughable really isn't it. There isn't a water shortage. The UK always has and always will have the rain coming back with a vengeance. 

• Like 6

Posted

So April....sorry, January will continue for at least another week in mainland Europe. Not a single ice day forecasted, hardly any frost. Much colder air would be needed from NW direction to deliver something of note apart from the highest peaks. January is tracking 6-8C above average so far which is absolutely crazy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Here I was hoping we might have a proper winter well into January after temps dropped in Dec. I have woken up several days in the last 2 weeks and wondered if it was March. Nature definitely seems to think so, as all the birds have come out of wintering and I've even spotted some trees with buds. Although there is much talk of a second round I can't see it being very consequential myself. Most likely scenario seems to be some freezing temps up north, a dusting of snow in urban and lowland areas north of the Humber (and maybe a bit more in higher land) and a return to somewhat average-for-the-year temps down south for a few days, then we'll all be back up to 13c and rain. Spring will probably start at the end of Feb for the south coast, as it did last year. Expect March to be warm and reach 20c at least once south of the Humber. Absolutely pathetic 'winter', as the last few have been, and the last five before BFTE. Having any sort of period with real winter temps, let alone snowfall, appears to be the exception, rather than the rule, these days. Yes, mild years have always happened, but from what I can tell, at least one or two spells of some really wintry weather even down south happened more years than not. Even in my fairly short lifetime, it seems like the number of winters with any real period of winter at all has rapidly declined. What a shame.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
13 hours ago, kold weather said:

When you have a month period running at 250% of normal rainfall between 15th June and 15th July locally, I think its fair to say it was a total stinker. I locally managed a 3 week period of 10hrs total sunshine in that lot, that would be poor even in winter (though I admit I was unlucky with several days of training convection whilst places 25 miles north had sunshine all day) That's not to mention a really poor August that struggled to get I to the 20s. The warmer than average was a function of mins holding up and two warmer bursts either side of that dreadful spell.

August wasn't that bad where I live in the south east (remember some sunny days intermixed with cloudier ones)...yes that period mid-June to near mid-July was bad granted particularly if you lived towards the south/south east but that's not a whole summer, even the MetO recognised in their review of the season that the fore-mentioned period (mid-June to mid-July) gave it a bad reputation but the further north and north west you lived the summer was better than average for temperatures and sunshine duration. We also had a heatwave after mid-July with temps in the low to mid 30's over wide areas of the country.

Off the top of my head 1979, 1988 and 2012 were generally worse...

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
24 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

August wasn't that bad where I live in the south east (remember some sunny days intermixed with cloudier ones)...yes that period mid-June to near mid-July was bad granted particularly if you lived towards the south/south east but that's not a whole summer, even the MetO recognised in their review of the season that the fore-mentioned period (mid-June to mid-July) gave it a bad reputation but the further north and north west you lived the summer was better than average for temperatures and sunshine duration. We also had a heatwave after mid-July with temps in the low to mid 30's over wide areas of the country.

Off the top of my head 1979, 1988 and 2012 were generally worse...

The daily highs weren't horrendous in August (still 23+ most days with 25-26 not being uncommon where I am) outside of the heatwave; by that point it was more the daily lows that were a problem, since it had been above average for so long that the heat was just not dissipating at night. Sure, something like 2019 was generally a lot worse for humid, sticky nights after an abrupt hot turn, but the pure heat of the nights last August made up for it and it was still highly uncomfortable, at least for someone like me.

I can't speak for the first two, but from my memory, 2012 doesn't immediately strike me as particularly bad. Looking back at the charts it initially appears much like 2019. The ones that strike me as particularly horrible in the last decade or so are 2013, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022. 2020 not so much for heat (although that was still bad) but the bone-dryness and very early start to summer. 2022 and 2019 for obvious reasons, and 2018 again for the bone-dryness after April. 2013 from memory was very hot for a very long time after an initial cold start to the spring, and was dry as well. I mostly remember 2012 as being highly unsettled. For some reason I remember 2014 and 2016 being quite bad although they seem to look relatively normal for today's standards in the charts. It might be the mild winters on both sides of those years that throws my memory off...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In west London for work and it’s vile, huge puddles (or rather, lakes) everywhere, mud, grey skies and not feeling particularly mild

• Like 1

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Just a graph to show the stark reality of how hard its become to get any sort of cold to these shores, and back in the medieval warm period they thought it was warm.   

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Just a graph to show the stark reality of how hard its become to get any sort of cold to these shores, and back in the medieval warm period they thought it was warm.   

Please i thought we were done with the debunked hockey stick, its very obvious that both the medieval period and 8000 years ago were hotter than today's climate.

• Like 2