Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This is turning into a trick one, and the 06Z seems to be going off on its own with all those incoming lows and milder weather... Yesterday's 06Z wasn't all that great either? But at least next weekend still looks okay!🙏

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Person    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

And, as to the question of longevity -- I'm not even sure it's a useful question, just yet: predicting how an individual model-run might play out is not the same as knowing what the weather will do... 🤔😁

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tamara said:

.And very often there are finely balanced situations which call for saying so. This is a voluntary weather forum - not a derivatives section of the stock market. No-one gets paid or is compelled to say anything, but most especially something they don't believe and when they think there is not enough evidence to make any definitive prediction. All this 'falling on sword' speak is a little excessive and in my opinion unnecessary and perennial childish one-upmanship. The answer is to use the ignore facility. It is not a utopia, but it helps.

The modelling evolution is playing out precisely as described in previous summaries. Indeed, the battleground convergence I talked about is going to become tighter and tighter pinned down focus around NW Europe around, and beyond, the 10-day focus. There remains exactly the fork in the road I described at least twice in posts as foreseen last week - attritional forcing of sub-tropical air to the south, meeting the cold dense arctic air to the north. As suggested almost a week back when this modelling was still outside any discernible range, 'high impact' weather events were muted. I don't think that was sitting on the fence - the various permutations are now coming into view on NWP. But the truth points to more than one potential high impact weather event - not soley snow potential for the UK

The completion of the retrograde pattern will inevitably force a re-set and new momentum following from upstream. That much can be asserted. The periodicity of the -ve EAMT is a guideline for this. Starting a few days back, the retrograde sequence has the coming week still to play out. Then upstream momentum, of some measure should return.

I continue to think that ultimately following attritional battleground forcing (and a very wet and muggy period of weather in my SW Europe locality) there will be something of a lifting of the cold air from the south for parts of NW Europe, including obviously the UK. Clearly the further south one is most likely to see this. 

A downstream ridge building from the sub tropics into Iberia (following the low-pressure sequence) could well then build northwards. Much a similar sequence as occurred from last weekend and early last week.

As stated in the last post - it is a case of how any energy put back from the sub-tropical -ve NAO jet regime into the polar jet then interacts with this process and how much unstable-ve zonal wind inertia remains at higher latitudes. This sensitive balance of opposite forcing, meaning the difference between a European mid latitude ridge and Atlantic trough, or a re-connection of a northward building ridge to arctic high pressure and cold pooling. No-one if they were to be honest knows any one answer to this - beyond what their bias tells them to see. How far this cold pooling is dislodged through attrition is finely balanced and falling on a sword is really neither compulsive nor mandatory.

These practices should never be attempted unattended and unsupervised. Consult an adult.🙂

So basicially  are you saying that anyone that utters phrases like cold is locked / no way back for the Atlantic is unwise, no matter how appealing individual runs might be to those of us who want snow and prolonged cold weather, given the delicate balance between the transfer of energy around the globe and how easily it can alter the weather a majority of us would like to prevail?

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

IF GFS keeps doing these dartboard lows, it will keep going in the BIN!  Why does this model keep doing this year in year out?

It will change closer to the actual time , but it’s now negatively tilted and could slide under the block. If so that could allow the cold from the east to move west , the high to move into scandi and start to pull the vortex chuck ready to drop down to the east  and feed from it. In my opinion Wednesday the models might have this sorted , let’s get the cold in first then watch the models change again . It really wouldn’t surprise me at all if we have a repeat of summer but now the blocking is to the north. Summer gave us record heat , are we ready for possibly record breaking cold. It’s certainly not the usual start and winter set up we are used to or the models 

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
19 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

So basicially  are you saying that anyone that utters phrases like cold is locked / no way back for the Atlantic is unwise, no matter how appealing individual runs might be to those of us who want snow and prolonged cold weather, given the delicate balance between the transfer of energy around the globe and how easily it can alter the weather a majority of us would like to 

I think some of the output on the nhp have been pretty impressive. The usual caveats apply and as on most occasions for the UK being and island is subect to use swings. I don't totally follow the more incremental back ground signals but I suspect Tamara has a good hold on the complexity going forward. It's turning cold with some snow"esp the north"but the longer term is not for me to have a punt at ie trends etc🙏

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Mmmmm... My main 'worry' is that, since the FV3 came along, the GFS has been rather good regarding warm-ups in FI. So, I'll no' be binning it just yet? But, being a coldie at heart, I can't say as I like it...😁

Could contain: Plot, Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 9

Posted

Don't really know what to say about the models this morning.

Cold does seem to be better in the short term, yet these lows that almost come out of nowhere seems to be a big spanner in the way of things.

While understandably in the medium to long term, breakdowns are here and there but remain in the minority.

The majority of the UK is set to receive these even colder conditions sometime mid next week, but for the Southwest and parts of Wales it's not looking likely at this time.

No point even discussing snowfall till it reaches a nowcast/short range.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

For all the mid range uncertainty, day 15 on both the GEFS and EPS are remarkably similar. Troughs over N Alaska, France and Eastern US. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head

Notwithstanding what comes before, not a bad position for coldies heading into the Xmas period…

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
30 minutes ago, Josh S said:

For all the mid range uncertainty, day 15 on both the GEFS and EPS are remarkably similar. Troughs over N Alaska, France and Eastern US. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head

Notwithstanding what comes before, not a bad position for coldies heading into the Xmas period…

Without being too picky I would like to see the high pressure anomaly centred over Greenland rather than Baffin Island as it runs the risk of a west based -NAO

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed we do, EE: I used to make them by the shedload, but, alas, the 1963 redux I keep predicting has, for some mysterious reason, never materialised... That ECM was the final nail in my James Madden coffin!😱

Hahaha, that's a name I haven't heard in a while and Exacta Weather too! Might need their old enthusiasm if the models take a turn for the worst tonight! Admittedly, I can't see that happening and I do expect the dartboard low to begin to ease off over the next few models runs, but still!

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Forget the rest everyone. The Nasa model has got this one nailed 🥶🥶🥶🥶🤣😉

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, QR Code

I said this yesterday, it’s all over this set up 👌😂😂I wish/hope 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
16 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Forget the rest everyone. The Nasa model has got this one nailed 🥶🥶🥶🥶🤣😉

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, QR Code

Well I happen to hold this model in high regard (when colder weather is showing 🤣) even if the met office don’t. Would be a lovely way to keep the cold coming and with the kinky flow plenty of snow showers moving east to west and very cold nights nationwide. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
18 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I said this yesterday, it’s all over this set up 👌😂😂I wish/hope 

I don’t care about the verification stats when I see this 🤣

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
13 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Well I happen to hold this model in high regard (when colder weather is showing 🤣) even if the met office don’t. Would be a lovely way to keep the cold coming and with the kinky flow plenty of snow showers moving east to west and very cold nights nationwide. 

well if the big low moves east nicely and not as strong then charts will start looking like this ..

• Like 1