Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
4 minutes ago, IanT said:

It is always fascinating to see posters queueing up to say that the “…models are struggling…”. I assume this comment is based on the lack of consistency in model output. Whilst there will be only one resolution, at this point multiple evolutions are possible - as reflected by model output..!

Don’t be too quick to conclude that models are struggling because their output is inconsistent. It may be better to recognise that there is still significant uncertainty given the set of starting conditions.

I think that is the point people are trying to make 😊

Struggling = not being able to provide any kind of agreement even at 5/6 days whereas during more common setups we can usually rely on a good few days beyond that.

The models are doing what they’re meant to do, it’s just that the output isn’t helpful to make much of a forecast. That’s not withstanding random hurricane-like low pressure systems being modelled lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Pretty Superb ECMWF 12z ensemble mean tonight if you’re a coldie?..which I assume the vast majority are?…otherwise, why is it so busy  busy in here.. hmmmmm?!! 😜😱🥶❄️🧐

CA5D7334-1885-4774-BC9F-68AB192929CA.thumb.gif.71a1713bc44c3fded8eda4558892e40b.gifAFA030AA-CA83-4144-B53F-A4CC9A956E75.thumb.gif.b6fd79046082e5358d6bb9950ea2a514.gif40D6C29F-646C-4025-A4FC-D174C251B85F.thumb.gif.a9f7b63760cbf5f545e3e8190719cb49.gifA8B7A785-21C1-44C2-B084-F87B6F27F8D1.thumb.gif.717eb009f47368b664a3431ce7808294.gif

Well let’s be honest there’s nothing on TV.

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Fantastic update on the 12z guys  been away most of the day and tomorrow as well but back for now my minions😈!!!!!clearly missed some wiked cold runs this evening!!after viewing the ecm what a run up until 216 hours!!!!that is one huge outlier and i mean massive!!not worried one bit as it will come around in the morning!!!enjoy the snow and cold as we are now 2 or 3 days away from the start!!!!

Hope you’re ok mate 👍 means doing you proud at the mo.

Edited by Malarky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
16 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the ECM op is on acid but I suspect that  mean is hiding a lot of drama to come .

The big 3 now have the shortwave dropping down from Greenland by day 7.

You now have a series of variables . How far west does it drop , where if any is the phase point with the Atlantic low .

Will height rises to the ne as in the GFS help to send it packing .

So fasten your seat belts coldies it’s going to be a bumpy night. A play on a line delivered by that wonderful actress Bette Davis in IMO one of the great Hollywood films from a bygone era All About Eve which I shall likely have to change to All About That Shortwave ! 

Yeah there is a lot going on. We don't want the Greenland shortwave to phase with the low over us and we don't want the Azores low to deepen too much and bring milder air in. Still think there is a risk of a mild switch here but the EC ens are a bit reassuring.

Would be nice if the Greenland high strength is being underplayed and the shortwave heads towards us instead as part of a northerly reload.

Or alternatively, the Greenland shortwave phases with the Azores low, keeping it west. That would be interesting. 

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the ECM op is on acid but I suspect that  mean is hiding a lot of drama to come .

The big 3 now have the shortwave dropping down from Greenland by day 7.

You now have a series of variables . How far west does it drop , where if any is the phase point with the Atlantic low .

Will height rises to the ne as in the GFS help to send it packing .

So fasten your seat belts coldies it’s going to be a bumpy night. A play on a line delivered by that wonderful actress Bette Davis in IMO one of the great Hollywood films from a bygone era All About Eve which I shall likely have to change to All About That Shortwave ! 

Nick please could you pop up a chart showing the shortwave of which you speak? I can't access the charts at the moment and am interested as to why and when it might disrupt. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Funny how the worst of the charts are in Fl, normally the other way around lol. Models really want to break down this cold spell.

ECM is a stinker but if you want cold, then GFS 12z is the one!

Could contain: Chart

2m temperatures are very cold with continuous ice days ❄️🥶

Could contain: Electronics

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Green, Atlas, Diagram  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Green, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Green, Map, Land, Outdoors, Nature  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Snowmageddon - i know its pointless to look at these in Fl but it's mesmerizing to say the least 😁

528 dam line over us most of the run. 

du0sXKUW6M.thumb.gif.2fe18666386d8831823808223c6983a1.gif

Remember GFS is first to pick up a trend, then the others get on board whilst it goes off on one before it comes back on board. If GFS in FI is cold then this gives us coldies hope of an extension to the cold or even a reload after a slight easing

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, RabbitEars said:

Nick please could you pop up a chart showing the shortwave of which you speak? I can't access the charts at the moment and am interested as to why and when it might disrupt. 

I used to do charts when I wasn’t on iPad .  But you can see the shortwave on the day 7 NH view on the big 3 models located se Greenland west of Iceland .

The ECM is a shallow feature a bit further east than the GFS and UKMO . It’s easiest to view on the GFS.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Face, Person, Head

EC control is crazy.... hurricane to the west of the Azores in mid December....

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

The shortwave in question is this feature, I believe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
14 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Poor mid Atlantic fish (I know that makes no sense). Swim a couple hundred miles and they are freezing and then Swim towards the Azores and find themselves flying back towards the cold.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, weatherguy said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

The shortwave in question is this feature, I believe

Thanks for that . The big 3 have this to varying degrees of development . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Didn't realise the GEM Control went out to 384 like GFS

It's a bonkers run and this is a cherry-picked frame from that

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Head, Person

It's an unusual set-up

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
51 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Every time someone says that I'm convinced they curse the next runs 🤣

Yup. 

Every time someone says the FI charts are like 1963, 1981, 2009/2010, 2010 etc. the odds of them coming off become much less.

Also unless you're in Northern Scotland if you want it to snow just say we might get wintry showers, don't say "snow". You'll scare it away 😛

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Day_9 said:

No, there has been consistent output now forecasting a week/10 day long snap.

Look at the ensembles.  Absolute consensus.  Anything after that timeframe is always spaghetti whatever the model…….. enjoy the next week or so if cold is your thing.  It is entirely conceivable that it becomes entrenched.  

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text

Great post Day 9 😆😆

• Like 6