Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted

A gloomy drab January day so far, and no hint of anything brighter on the horizon remainder of the day - if you could capture a Monday in January in feel, today would be it!

We've had constant drizzly rain soaking everything, and its cold as well, current temp 4.9 degrees, cloud shrouding everything to valley level. Days like today when you reach for the holiday brochure! It has that 'low point' of  mid winter feel.

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

A gloomy drab January day so far, and no hint of anything brighter on the horizon remainder of the day - if you could capture a Monday in January in feel, today would be it!

We've had constant drizzly rain soaking everything, and its cold as well, current temp 4.9 degrees, cloud shrouding everything to valley level. Days like today when you reach for the holiday brochure! It has that 'low point' of  mid winter feel.

Bright here! Trimmed the hedge yesterday and noticed the light was a bit brighter and it didn't have that wet and damp feel you get in December and early Jan.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

As long as the ensembles continue to churn out charts like this there's always hope for February 🥶❄️😃. Last winter you was hard pressed to find these sorts of charts in FI territory.

gens-17-1-384.pnggens-17-0-384.png

• Like 6

Posted

A few patches of ice & snow left grasping on locally but the majority what remained has now melted away, I was going to head down the Goyt this afternoon to look at the 40x stranded vehicles, but typically the first train i've got in 3 years decided to break down at the station and didn't move anywhere for 3 hours (lucky I had a back-up plan to make it into Buxton as I was needing to drop off a few leaflets anyway.) Gave up on the mini-adventure as I suspect they've now managed to get all the cars out from the valley anyway and made it back home to a brand new Canon M50ii Camera waiting for me.

• Like 8

Posted
57 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

As long as the ensembles continue to churn out charts like this there's always hope for February 🥶❄️😃. Last winter you was hard pressed to find these sorts of charts in FI territory.

I guess such synoptics become more likely the further we move through latter part of winter i.e. Feb and March, typically the jet becomes weaker, and blocking episodes can take over.. Northerlies and easterlies far more common post mid Feb than in the preceding 6 months.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Not too bad a day today, mostly cloudy but dry. It tried to brighten every now and again. A chilly day, high of 5.4C. it's not looking overly mild this week, with highs of 5 to 7C looking likely throughout and quite a bit of dry weather. Could be worse.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

All in all a decent day in the marginals-generally bright  and dry throughout, one or two bits of snow still around in the shade. 2.5C at 5.00pm currently 0.9C generally clear, some bits of high cloud. Still feels like we're just on the cold side of the boundary. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Whilst we here in the NW might not have seen a ‘big’ snowfall event this season so far it’s interesting to note most of the US North East & I95 corridor - NYC, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Washington DC hasn’t seen a measurable snowfall yet this season. Most of the severe cold has been across the Midwest & far north of New York State in areas such as Buffalo. February might change that though as it often is the month of big east coast snowstorms. Quite something though considering the US North East is known for its winter snowstorms & Nor’easters. 

230123105754-weather-us-national-snow-de
WWW.CNN.COM

While the western US has been piling up snowfall over the past several weeks, it has been the complete opposite across the Northeast and New England.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A nice frosty morning here, patchy cloud cover, -0.8C. There's still some small remnants of lying snow here and there so that makes it the second time this winter that we have had lying snow for over a week, not too bad.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

@Chris.R.

Are you attending the World Pie Eating championship today in Wigan?

Weatherwise, cool, cloudy and misty.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Another air frost this morning. That's 8 out of the previous 9 nights except the night before last. Risen above freezing now, 1.7°C. Minimum was -0.9°C.

10 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

@Chris.R.

Are you attending the World Pie Eating championship today in Wigan?

Weatherwise, cool, cloudy and misty.

Lol not there today but sounds yum 😋🥧

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
17 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

GFS 1st Feb looks interesting 

But of course it won’t be! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Interesting, the southern half of the country is having a colder winter than I experienced in 2010. Its all about relativity of course. There are stations down south than have had -7C or lower for the last 4 days... even in 2010 I never saw 4 nights below -7C. 

This morning chilly but not frosty, minimum was 1.2C currently 3.6C

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 5

Posted

I was somewhat surprised to find ice on the windscreen when I returned to my car at 9.30pm yesterday evening. There is a thin layer again this morning which, again, I find surprising in view of the cloud cover.Looking at the weather maps last night, it appears that in the south of the NW region, we are at the southern tip of supposedly milder air, which probably explains why my brothers in the W Midlands and S London are still getting really cold nights and some freezing fog. It seems that the cold front, which is due to sweep south tonight, will get rid of this difference although, perhaps strangely, it should also introduce milder air in the SE of England.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

What a waste......

Could contain: Text

This year has already proved to be conducive to snow from the Irish Sea with modest -7 uppers, still 6-7 weeks to go however.

2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

GFS 1st Feb looks interesting 

But of course it won’t be! 

1991 esk, same date too.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Another depressing damp day drizzle it’s pointless 😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Off in a couple of days for a week of all inclusive food, drink and hopefully warm sunshine.

it’s just a shame that the warm sunshine part of it isn’t 24 hours but for a few days at least, it’ll beat the current gloom and doom of this country.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Less said about the GFS the better with the Azores trying to ridge into Europe later in the run. Long way back for winter from that. It has been an absolute pain for years now. The only parts of Europe that benefits from it is Lapland with low after low barreling into northern Scandinavia, ironically their snowiest kind of set up, and SE Europe/Greece on it's eastern periphery as winds move in from the N/NE. It's just one run though and I am optimistic of something properly snowy into February. Gotta keep the faith 👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

-1.3 and a slightly surprising frost in the Marginals last night. Now 4.6 full cloud cover and v light drizzle-ah well at least its still just light!

• Like 4

Posted

I've been 'out and about' testing the new Canon M50ii at Magpie Mine this afternoon, on the way down the A6 there was still a few noticeable snow patches lying around near the quarries on the Ashbourne Road and Taddington Hill. Wye Dale (which is out of direct sunlight year-round anyway) was especially notable. A shame I couldn't get the best out of the camera today given the fading light and ever worsening conditions but it was a good try at least, the fog is now here to stay for the night on the higher routes with limited visibility on the way home at 4pm.

Could contain: Grass, Road, Pasture, Outdoors, Field, Nature, Ground, Path, Grassland, SceneryCould contain: Building, Architecture, Ruins, Fortress, Castle, Person

• Like 5

Posted

Oh dear three very gloomy cold days on the trot, low cloud down to valley level, drizzly dank and dark, maxed around 5.5-6 degrees with no change all day - despite the mild uppers there is inversion cold at the surface. Light winds - hence nothing to stir the cloud. 

Tomorrow should bring something much brighter.

• Like 6