Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Those of us who are of a certain vintage will recall winters way back when 

Clear the snow into a big enough pile and it won’t disappear before the next lot turns up ……

of course you need some snow to begin with 

gefs mean early into T200 finds a weak mid Atlantic wedge - those euro heights need to do one !

I can try clearing the frost into a big pile lol!!  People have mentioned 2022 having similarities with 1995, well so has the first cold spell delivering little snow for me! 🤔

Edited by Don
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, weatherguy said:

Hi all, taken a few days off to avoid model fatigue and to actually enjoy the coldspell that has taken hold - some lovely scenery around up here the last dew days!

Anywho, let's take a look at what the models are indicating in the medium term, using +72h as the starting point...

The GFS 72/96/120/144/168/192/216/240

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Pattern, Outdoors, Accessories, NatureCould contain: Art, Outdoors, PatternCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

The cold air established over the UK starts to see its influence wane as heights slowly build over the continent, and due to the angle of the incoming LP from the west (caused by the absence of a significant block) we establish a S/SW flow going into Sunday.  Interestingly, the warm uppers don't last long as, while we appear to enter a more zonal phase, the atlantic is very low-power for the time of year due to the core of the PV remaining on the Asian side and the emergence of an Aleutian HP system.  This means that we are subjected to a period of "cold zonality" with shots of PM air from the north-west as we move through the +144-+240 time period.  With a cut-off HP effectively acting as sticking a rod into a bike wheel, we can again see signs of more northerly blocking across the NH profile as we move into the more long-range period.  

I won't go into huge detail with the ECM as the 12z will be out soon, but we see a similar outcome here.

ECM +144/192/216/240

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Pattern, Accessories, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Accessories, NatureCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Pattern, Outdoors, Accessories, Nature

Again, S/SW flow established into Sunday, followed by the introduction of PM NW airflow (interspersed with TM SW airflows).  We also see the development of a combined Aleutian cutoff high and some renewed ridging towards Greenland.  

Something to keep an eye on is the state of the sPV, given the stress that the tPV is still under. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map 

This +168h chart shows the sPV is quite elongated after sustaining some mild wave 2 activity.  No signs of an SSW just yet, but this is not looking like the typical raging December PV, and this can only be good news for longer term cold prospects.

I am afraid i think we'll be waiting a while yet for an SSW if we do get one unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Don said:

I can try clearing the frost into a big pile lol!!  People have mentioned 2022 having similarities with1995, well so has the first cold spell for me delivering little snow! 🤔

or try clearing the rain into a big pile.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I am afraid i think we'll be waiting a while yet for an SSW if we do get one unfortunately.

Who knows, things seem to be changing on a daily basis regarding prospects?!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And it doesn’t even guarantee us cold weather if we do get one.

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Those of us who are of a certain vintage will recall winters way back when 

Clear the snow into a big enough pile and it won’t disappear before the next lot turns up ……

of course you need some snow to begin with 

gefs mean early into T200 finds a weak mid Atlantic wedge - those euro heights need to do one !

These days the best chance you have for snow not disappearing before the next lot turns up is by sticking a sample of it in the freezer!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looks good for temporary snow, would expect this though to be northern areas, Kasim could see a dumping here

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

And it doesn’t even guarantee us cold weather if we do get one.

Although the prospects are constantly changing, it does seem to have changed for the worst during the last couple of days, just as the Metoffice mentioned the potential for the cold continuing in the extended!!  Hopefully things will improve in the coming days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Wasn’t it Crewe Cold mentioning a scandi high as a possibility around Xmas or shortly after about 7 days ago ?He has been fairly accurate so far and rightly advises us to always look at the NH in the bigger picture.Well I tend to agree there is quite a good chance of a Scandi High as GFS hints at on the 12z.

Certainly been a fascinating period of model watching this last 2 weeks and will be equally entertaining to see how the next 10 days pan out as if this time tomorrow todays trends continue I would suggest the mild weather forecast for a few days will be short lived and may not even occur for Northern Britain.Let’s hope these trends continue for coldies😉(95% of this forum I would suggest🤣)

Edited by Hotspur62
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
20 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes agreed, nothing in the forecast to suggest we'll see one any time soon.  More pointing out that the sPV is looking a bit unsure of itself and this combined with the tPV state is quite unusual for December - should encourage further high latitude block development in the medium term.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Don said:

These days the best chance you have for snow not disappearing before the next lot turns up is by sticking a sample of it in the freezer!!

Guilty of this as a youngster !

anyway, noting that it seems likely in the extended period that the tpv will remain split but the main segment likely to end up over e Canada.  With HLB still looking likely across the NH, that probably means our next opportunity for amplification in our sector will be via a scandi ridge of some kind - if the euro anom stays high that could be sceuro - let’s hope not. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm goes on its merry way and no change at 120 hours it seems!!!

The 96 chart looks wrong to me. Don’t know why, it just seems ‘weird’

spacer.png

• Like 3

Posted
On 11/12/2022 at 15:12, Cold Winter Night said:

With FI still at 96h, max 120h if you're stretching it, we can be sure of cold until the end of the reliable, because the cold is here now.
Maybe not as cold as you hoped, maybe not with snow for everyone, but it can't be denied that it's here.

Perhaps comparisons to 2010 or the like are always a bit unfair. Many Decembers of the past have seen cold episodes like the one we're in right now and for some they end up being more special or memorable than the Big Ones.

A face value evaluation of the ensemble output suggests we're going milder, especially the further South and East you are, without a return to real cold before Christmas.
The De Bilt 2m plume is ugly in that regard. The KNMI (Dutch Met Office) speak of a 70-80% chance of milder and unsettled later on.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

A return of the cold would take a big swing in the ensemble.

However, in the 96h+ timeframes much depends on the handling of the Atlantic. Many posters have discussed this in great detail, but whether the block is stronger, or better placed than models show, makes all the difference both in that mid term and in what follows longer term.

To many observers it may seem like many in here who expect a better setup than the models show are being silly, or even in denial, but tendencies to underestimate blocking and cold are not without precedent.

Even comparing the EC 0z T+144h of 6 days ago to what it actually looks like today at T+0h reveals a lot:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Accessories, Art, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Art

- The Greenland block is stronger, in better shape and more East-based than EC Op 'thought.'
- That infamous tropical storm low is much smaller and less deep (location is spot on though).
- There is an Alaskan ridge and associated trough along the US/Canadian Pacific coast, which ECM did not foresee 6 days back.
- The Russia/Kazakhstan High has been pushed slightly more SE than foreseen.

For De Bilt that results in the next few days being colder than forecasted based on the 5 December 0z EC/EPS.

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Chart

So, my point is, there's still a lot of interest in the models, because of the NH pattern, we may see surprising shifts in the output.
Maybe already in the next few hours of 12z's, maybe over the upcoming week, or maybe not! Isn't that the fun of model watching?

As a total new guy, I love this kind of post. Seeing what the models thought would happen compared to reality is really important 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

ECM has changed it`s tune a tad not phasing the secondary low completely with the Icelandic LP, for now...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Modern Art, Graphics

@Mike Poole snap.

• Like 5