Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and snow

As a cold Lover and  a total novice to reading charts ect but learning a lot as I read these post ,I have to hold my breath before looking at the thread throughout the day lol one minute I'm excited it's going to say cold and the next a bit flat when it shows mild but as you say that's the weather for you. I must say it's absolutely bitter out there tonight so making the most of the few days left of cold spell until the mild sweeps in .

Thank you all for such interesting post even if I can't understand them all ,I'm learning though 😃

Edited by Mandy Orme
Missed spelt
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Well well ecm improves significantly between 168 and 192 hours!!gfs maybe onto something here!!!

It’s been mentions few times how the artic high is playing havoc with the outputs and if that’s the case these thing rarely sort them self out until 72 hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Well well ecm improves significantly between 168 and 192 hours!!gfs maybe onto something here!!!

Hey the Navgem 6z had a northerly 😂

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

It’s been mentions few times how the artic high is playing havoc with the outputs and if that’s the case these thing rarely sort them self out until 72 hours.

Still think there is scope for the colder air to return even quicker!!shall be looking for that on the 00zs!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The Canadian lobe of the polar vortex essentially disintegrates, leaving us under the trough that is introduced this weekend. Turning pretty cold again.

This pretty much leaves week 2 wide open in terms of options.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Don't look at the JMA 🤢🤮. Well alright  here it is  🤦🏼‍♂️.

Something for the mild fans to hang their hats on to .

F5BD3906-9897-412C-BEC2-BCC67EDDBCA4.gif

D075EFB2-8C73-4CD2-A071-D0A5D8BA08A7.gif

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM goes west-based at the end but nothing to worry about at this stage

Yesterday things looked promising until the UKMO, ECM and GFS 12zs. Today it's the exact opposite with things looking 'meh' until today's 12zs

The change in the GFS ensembles is noteworthy but, for balance, I guess it could all flip again. Encouraging stuff though

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My mental health really can't cope with all the model flip-flopping. I'm going to sulk in the shed. I'll come back with either the sledge or the BBQ. If someone could let me know which is the better option please...answers on a postcard.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Day 9 is V cold.

ECU0-216.thumb.gif.f01c824003582efae73b9cefd016cf79.gif

and look at that arctic high,...1070mb😲

1179985670_ECH1-216(1).thumb.gif.86ba8555172c7d27fc88ad0f574a2d8e.gif

1070 at the surface, and 500hPa at 576-580 dam!
A beast it is.

That Arctic High is also pretty much the only Day 10 thing that survived the past 24hrs comparing EC 12z yesterday 240h and today 216h!

Could contain: Outdoors, Modern Art, Art, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Pattern

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

A better EC this evening, however is it a sensible middle ground scenario? or is it going to shift further towards cold?

The better that north-westerly, the higher the chance of a surprise. As mentioned earlier, the output to me at the moment is very similar to that of December 2017. For a refresher, these are the charts and how I'd like to see it play out:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Some differences there, especially how the pressure built towards Greenland.... but if we can nail that NW blast of colder air it could be of benefit.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

It's a stinker the way it goes west based just before Christmas, but as others have said it's 10 days away so things will surely change between now and then. I  would love for colder weather to hang on over Christmas. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

EC Op teases on what COULD be! Thing that struck me the most was the 1070 mb at the North Pole at +216.

As a late twenty something who has been lurking and sometimes contributing I'd never thought I'd see that!

Whilst all model output is guidance I await the Ens, if the GFS is sniffing out a pattern and we have more of a mild/cool "blip" (I mean look at the NH pattern) then POTENTIALLY this winter could be a treat. 

My personal FI marker is from Sunday 18th Dec (Happy Hanukkah for those who celebrate!!) onwards

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

It's a stinker the way it goes west based just before Christmas, but as others have said it's 10 days away so things will surely change between now and then. I  would love for colder weather to hang on over Christmas. 

West based as in a +NAO: LP near Iceland, HP not far away from Lisbon? Please tell me what a 'west-based' -NAO is?!🤫

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Starting to get a feeling that some real fun and games could be the other side of Christmas. This isn’t no ordinary winter setup in our Hemisphere. Perhaps this is just a taster of what’s ahead. Most classic winters started off with a preliminary cold snap. Gav from Gavsweathervids highlighted this in one of his historical videos. The height rises from the Aleutian side could well start things off. 

• Like 9