Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's out, it's not as bad as I feared 

Already looks wrong in week 1! Unless the shorter term models have got it wrong for next week...?

As frosty ground and Battleground Snow say, doesn't it use starting data from the 0z runs? If it can be so wrong in the short term, it sort of renders it a bit useless

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

As we know ECM op was very mild

Could contain: Bar Chart, Chart

EPS 0z was keen to turn things colder quite quickly 12z plot will be updating soon. You would think a big flip is unlikely but let’s see…

Could contain: Chart

New in: Next week has flipped predominately milder…

Edinburgh mild weather brief 

Manchester

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
3 minutes ago, Benny123 said:

That’s a big temperature contrast upstream.. 👀

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Person

Hopefully that’ll drive some WAA into the Artic due to the lack of zonal flow generally 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Benny123 said:

Of course very low anoms across the lower middle states and high anoms across ne Canada could mean that actual temps are pretty similar across both areas 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Thing is to many are basing this on 1 days output! Last night we had a colder trend emerging...fast forward 24hrs and its trended milder! This does not set the future in stone..what happens if all the mornings run go cold again? Do we say yep looking good...cold spell back on..and then come the evening runs they trend mild again. Do we say oh well that's it till after Xmas all over again?

I can't for the life of me work out why so many on here take every op run as some kind of guarantee and get really fed up when they downplay any cold. We all know the models are struggling and there's nothing to suggest that this evening is any different.

Also worth pointing out was the fact the met update points to colder conditions throughout the Xmas period!

You know what I think? If we were on the verge of another 62/63 winter there would still be some saying its not gonna last and the end is in sight everytime they viewed an op run! And I tell you what even back in the day during severe Winter spells the data would make a mess of it all ending with mild in sight!  Fast forward 40 years and not a lot as changed! OK perhaps the accuracy is better for a 5 day period...but that's about it!

If Friday and the Weekend output all goes mild I will perhaps worry a tad! But not for too long,as anything beyond 5 days in the UK is going some. And also if it trends mild all weekend..I think many of us will blame it on a lack of data with Xmas coming up 😉

You know what I mean! 

Your wasting your time Matt😁be all good on 18z and EC oz

Have a beer man 🍻🍻♥️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
36 minutes ago, Benny123 said:

Not going to lie, I look at the synoptics just before Christmas over the eastern seaboard and I get very envious. Absolute dream synoptics for them.

We'll be left with the stormy remains probably if that transpires. 

The -5C 850hpa line gets well into Florida on the EC and GFS!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Well this looks encouraging. However I am by no means an expert at reading these charts . I suppose it depends where any block could it happen to set up.

Could contain: Chart, Blackboard

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There’s a few GEFS 12z members which could spell Victory for coldies 🥶  around Christmas time! … keep the faith! V for Victory! 😱 😜

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Land, Map, Atlas, Coast, ShorelineCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, GraphicsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Sea, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Face, Person, Sea, WaterCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Photography, Finger, Person, Portrait, Head, Face, Suit, Formal Wear, Hat, TieCould contain: Coat, Painting, Tie, Jacket, Person, Male, Child, Boy, Sunglasses, People 

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

There’s a few GEFS 12z members which could spell Victory for coldies 🥶  around Christmas time! … keep the faith! V for Victory! 😱😜

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Land, Map, Atlas, Coast, ShorelineCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art, GraphicsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Sea, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Face, Person, Sea, WaterCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Photography, Finger, Person, Portrait, Head, Face, Suit, Formal Wear, Hat, TieCould contain: Coat, Painting, Tie, Jacket, Person, Male, Child, Boy, Sunglasses, People 

At what point do we have to say we're clutching at straws??? I mean... As long as there's hope we can hope eh??? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Not going to lie, I look at the synoptics just before Christmas over the eastern seaboard and I get very envious. Absolute dream synoptics for them.

We'll be left with the stormy remains probably if that transpires. 

The -5C 850hpa line gets well into Florida on the EC and GFS!

Florida has seen temperatures as low as -19C before. That’s the ‘benefit’ of being on a huge continental landmass with no mountain range to block cold Arctic air flooding south. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

To be fair, time was called on the current cold spell earlier in the week and a rapid transition to milder weather will now happen in the second half of the weekend.

As to the lead up to Christmas, there still remains a small window but tonight's runs have trapped most fingers in the window frame with the troughs phasing and keeping the milder airflow.

I didn't think ECM 12Z OP was too bad - the T+240 looks a very good chart in terms of the direction of travel:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

A nice disrupting trough and heights to the north west - may not amount to anything but I've seen a lot worse.

No clue as to the New Year - the disconnect between the stratosphere and the troposphere keeps things interesting.

• Like 3