Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

LOCO? Are you sure it wasn't the Mexico met office 🤔🤣

I think I will take our own met and the guys on here over their thoughts.

Technically I think it's correct, loco means crazy?, crazy zonal sounds like meridional?

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

It's beginning to look like Christmas. ..Gfs certainly wants to bring a white very cold Christmas to all...?👄

• Like 4

Sorry guys, I should have elaborated. Loco-zonal is a more localised type of zonality. With zonal patterns for Northwestern Europe never fully extending into Central Europe. Basically mild, wet and windy for the UK. I hope that provides some clarification.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Jono E said:

Sorry guys, I should have elaborated. Loco-zonal is a more localised type of zonality. With zonal patterns for Northwestern Europe never fully extending into Central Europe. Basically mild, wet and windy for the UK. I hope that provides some clarification.

Ah ok- can ya wack up the source of this ???

• Like 9

Posted

Onto the ECM. Hopefully it follows the GFS(coldies).

Disappointing Ukmo.

Very touch and go this viewing of all the suites.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Jono E said:

Localised, yes we can see that and the high stopping it going through. However I'm still not convinced. It gets colders again after today's warm up, than on the last suite, and the bump up after is also smaller. I think the change causing the cold in the GFS is much earlier than people are looking 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

That was quite the final. 

Back to the Models...

Just a reminder that a zonal wave trains can often scatter energy hence we see points of strong +VE zonal wind anomalies and points of -VE zonal wind anomalies and it looks like they initially form near Greenland hence the long-term Greenland block potential. Eventually moving West as the wave train moves on and as long as the Greenland block stays in place we could see fairly good cold prospects going into the last week of December and into the New Year. This all depends on how the energy is scattered of course but there are good signals background wise for this to happen. Slight favour of cold rihr now let's just hope the zonal wind -VE doesn't move somewhere insignificant for us because that could also happen.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

That was quite the final. 

Back to the Models...

Just a reminder that a zonal wave trains can often scatter energy hence we see points of strong +VE zonal wind anomalies and points of -VE zonal wind anomalies and it looks like they initially form near Greenland hence the long-term Greenland block potential. Eventually moving West as the wave train moves on and as long as the Greenland block stays in place we could see fairly good cold prospects going into the last week of December and into the New Year. This all depends on how the energy is scattered of course but there are good signals background wise for this to happen. Slight favour of cold rihr now let's just hope the zonal wind -VE doesn't move somewhere insignificant for us because that could also happen.

Can the cold come back after the mild equalising ? Can we see sub -5 850s soon to produce some snowfall for southern regions ?

A strong Scandi high could be useful!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I know this GFS 12Z at six-million hours is about as much use as a fart in a calendar... But, anyway, it says what it says:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

With any luck, a load of cobblers!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Jono E said:

So it’s just a term you’ve made up? How do the US guys that you mentioned apply to this? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

It'll be an interesting next few days -some changes to the Christmas period, and now a stronger signal for cold. Yes, the UKMO and GEM aren't fully interested, but the trends are heading more in favour for a colder Christmas. 

Another thing  to look out for is the lows to the south west - if the cold air does win out, then some potentially snowy conditions? 

Model watching back in action. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Commander Occlusion said:

Oh dear. 

ECM1-120 (1).gif

Looks similar to the GFS in terms of the lows placement at 120h 🤨

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, MattH said:

There is simply no such thing...

Not quite? Localized negative nao is possible where a localized negative north to south pressure gradient sets up. Basically all he means is a strong jet into NW Europe with cold lingering in the east. Definitely possible - though this is not described as localized zonality.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Can the cold come back after the mild equalising ? Can we see sub -5 850s soon to produce some snowfall for southern regions ?

A strong Scandi high could be useful!

Sorry I'm not great at that sort of thing as a long term forecast like that would be almost impossible, at that point it comes down to little dynamics that can't be forecasted well yet.

A Scandi high could be helpful but in this situation with a developing reaction to the Eurasian -VE zonal pattern and therefore the +VE feedback forming its very unlikely so I'll be chasing the Greenland high for now.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I know this GFS 12Z at six-million hours is about as much use as a fart in a calendar... But, anyway, it says what it says:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

With any luck, a load of cobblers!:drunk-emoji:

I did of course mean a colander!🤣

• Like 5