Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

I have not much to add to the model discussion above atm, but maybe it's good thing that the output isn't exciting as Christmas draws attention. More important things in the end!

So I too would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Model output is uninspiring for the next 10 days or so. Hopefully some changes in the new year, but for now, a brief break over Christmas and New year celebrations. 

I wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas, and wish everyone a positive 2023.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Think it says everything when the long term average is slowly falling for most the 12z run while the mean is slowly rising!..

Could contain: Chart

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, mulzy said:

Mid latitude high is probably a decent bet in the 10-15 day period.  Whether the high can migrate to Scandinavia and advent much colder air remains to be seen.

Met Office seems to have dropped colder by mid January signal.

What draw me to your post whilst quickly scanning through the last few pages was the lack of 'likes'. Can see why now 🤐 Just as models seemed to be buying into it, we may well be  back to the usual January straws of 'the vortex tends to weaken in February'.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

What draw me to your post whilst quickly scanning through the last few pages was the lack of 'likes'. Can see why now 🤐 Just as models seemed to be buying into it, we may well be  back to the usual January straws of 'the vortex tends to weaken in February'.

This is it so many hopes are pinned on a SSW, even yesterday I had two different quotes of cold is 67% and 70% the next page of cold to the uk from a SSW event. So by one page it had jumped 3% hey perhaps if we kept going by 10 pages it would have been 100%. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
15 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Think it says everything when the long term average is slowly falling for most the 12z run while the mean is slowly rising!..

Could contain: Chart

What does that mean please?  

Posted
2 minutes ago, snefnug said:

What does that mean please?  

Above average upper air temps with the gap increasing. 

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

SSWs dont always deliver, and those that do sometimes dont produce much in the way of lengthy cold or snow...

Just saying....

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Ornament, Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Fractal

We need that arctic high to push towards the Atlantic sector.  Not sure how it does that but thats the end game we want. 

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

SSWs dont always deliver, and those that do sometimes dont produce much in the way of lengthy cold or snow...

Just saying....

I think the SSW that gave us 21c in February overdelivered. 

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well if we were 21c then I’m sure it delivered somewhere …..

Unforgettable

4847.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Parts of Britain exceed temperatures in Malibu, Athens and Crete

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Merry Christmas all, not posting much, same disappointment as this time last year, total model implosion.. not much else to add really, the long term GEFS 12z mean sums things up pretty well and is par for the course for NW coldies!..anyway, I live in hope that Janvier 😜 will eventually bring something wintery to Blighty’s shores! 😱…over and out! :drunk-emoji: :santa-emoji:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors9B4813D1-7751-46DB-BE08-FC997A9C9E76.thumb.gif.1db0efc2754e878bcf600fe95cd566da.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

looking at the strat GFS ensembles, it does have the hallmarks of just running out of steam before a technical SSW so slight odds against, unless a secondary warming comes round the back soon after.

Lows becoming slow, heights randomly appears across the poles.

Defintely not the sign of a strong vortex, while we may have a zonal pattern here things change quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I very rarely post because usually any questions I have are answered somewhere in the thread but whilst it's quiet.... 

Every Christmas we see someone mention the lack of data from fewer flights etc. Well I was wondering if this would apply with the current grounding of most flights from the weather in the states? I'm a little sceptical as to whether it makes a difference anyway but I thought I'd ask. 

Have a great Christmas and new year everybody, as ever its been great following the forum this year. 

• Like 5

Posted

There is growing support for the AO to lean negative among EC ens into early January.

Note I posted days before previously the control was going with idea… it is no longer alone or most commanding! This ain’t like last winter I seem to recall the AO was strongly positive pretty much throughout the entirety of the winter. It is cliche but others have said similar, something a little different about this winter.

Merry Christmas all btw 🙂 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Formula_1_Fan said:

I very rarely post because usually any questions I have are answered somewhere in the thread but whilst it's quiet.... 

Every Christmas we see someone mention the lack of data from fewer flights etc. Well I was wondering if this would apply with the current grounding of most flights from the weather in the states? I'm a little sceptical as to whether it makes a difference anyway but I thought I'd ask. 

Have a great Christmas and new year everybody, as ever its been great following the forum this year. 

Probably too short a time span but this may be of interest

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2020/drop-aircraft-observations-could-have-impact-weather-forecasts

Edited by knocker
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2