Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Thought I'd revisit my previous outlook and do my next where I believe we will be headed😃

Really happy with how that outlook has played out and decent on the dates too 😁

As we see the MJO phase 3 now extending into February here's where I'd expect to be by approx 15th Feb, Note the switch from higher to lower pressure near the Eastern Seaboard and the lower pressure in Greenland transitioning to higher heights 

Screenshot-20230202-170554-Samsung-Notes Screenshot-20230202-170418-Chrome.jpg

20230120-192057.png

Likely to continue to see Tropical Cyclone development across the Indian Ocean 

Roughly another week in phase 3 though the JMA is still persisting on an even further extention. 

ECMF-BC-1.png GEFS.png

JMAN.pngNCFS.png 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
18 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Will we ever know where the recent cold GFS runs came from ?

Yes there are signs of a weakening spv along with it's displacement now underway but the trop.vortex to our north remains stubbornly positioned.With the MJO showing in the warmer phases over the Pacific area an easterly was against the background signals really as well as most other model suites so those GFS runs came out of left field.

We now seem to have normal service with pretty reasonable agreement with a uk high which may well give frosty nights but compared to what GFS offered recently it is a bump back down to earth for cold  and snow fans.

Glad you didn`t mention the BFTE Phil as I haven`t read anyone saying that is what the GFS was aiming at. It was was just a much colder option to the other models, and to be fair, we probably do now have a cold middle ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Well hello, a reversal evident mid-month on 12z GFS  looking at the zonal mean cross section ...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

I saw bluearmy feels it may not be too late for any effects from this to affect winter rather than spring and assume you're on board with that based on the tone of your post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, RainAllNight said:

I saw bluearmy feels it may not be too late for any effects from this to affect winter rather than spring and assume you're on board with that based on the tone of your post!

One thing that might aid a quick trop response here, is the warming that we had a week or so ago, the ‘nearly’ one.  I think it is agreed that this led to a flushing down of westerly winds from the previous very strong strat vortex that dominated the heart of winter.  This done, a full SSW now could potentially impact the trop with a running start.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
2 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Yes, in with a chance of a trop response of high lat blocking end of Feb and continuing into early March, similar to 2018. But we need to see this reversal showing continue in the GFS and also be interesting to see the EC weeklies update this evening showing hints of a SSW too later this month, the last update showed promise.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

No worries, mistakes happen 👍🏻

Chilly surface inversion under high pressure next week, temperatures below average but it's no -15C isotherm BFTE the model was suggesting only yesterday.

It was never going to be the model was out on it’s own with the crazy charts,,this looks more favourable for next week. Chilly with night frosts returning 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

One thing that might aid a quick trop response here, is the warming that we had a week or so ago, the ‘nearly’ one.  I think it is agreed that this led to a flushing down of westerly winds from the previous very strong strat vortex that dominated the heart of winter.  This done, a full SSW now could potentially impact the trop with a running start.

A running start would be good, but even early March can produce extreme cold with the right set up. The BFTE for example. 
Long way off but maybe a nice EC42 tonight to start the next chase 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

If the gfs charts are unreliable why do we trust its strat charts. Surely they are also subject to wild swings?

Compared to the troposphere the models display longer predictability timescales for variations within the stratosphere, so less wild swings high up, we've seen GFS predicting warming or a SSW for a while now mid-month. Besides, last EC weeklies was also hinting at a SSW later this month, the mean heading towards 0 m/s.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Compared to the troposphere the models display longer predictability timescales for variations within the stratosphere, so less wild swings high up, we've seen GFS predicting warming or a SSW for a while now mid-month. Besides, last EC weeklies was also hinting at a SSW later this month, the mean heading towards 0 m/s.

Great thanks for the info.

Better chances so last third of Feb. 2018 certainly delivered here, gave the most snow for Southern Ireland in 50 years and the snow depths were unbelievable 1st March (storm emma)

• Like 3

Posted

Last nights ECM 12z vs todays 12z.

ECM0-168.thumb.gif.3a87c981487669df67675643f3a85c2b.gifECM0-144.thumb.gif.6f43e89137c5995655ab343cc00dc480.gif

Edit: Teleconnections still make sense for the US, no cold plunge for the time being, albeit skirting the North.

Edit 2: GFS teleconnections and ECM op.

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Art, Outdoors, Accessories

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Last nights ECM 12z vs todays 12z.

ECM0-168.thumb.gif.3a87c981487669df67675643f3a85c2b.gifECM0-144.thumb.gif.6f43e89137c5995655ab343cc00dc480.gif

Yes, some variance on the 850s but looks broadly similar from a synoptic point of view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Dear me, what a pile of tosh!😨

ECM1-168.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

ECM1-168.gif

The walls are closing in on winter at a rate of knots ! 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowray said:

ECM1-168.gif

It's as ugly as it could get really, that after weeks of dross. We can only hope the strat does us a favour!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

The walls are closing in on winter at a rate of knots ! 

GFS is junk, it was last Winter too.

3 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

It's as ugly as it could get really, that after weeks of dross. We can only hope the strat does us a favour!

Winter for Easter? No thanks!😬

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowray said:

ECM1-168.gif

If we look at 9 days which is still way up for grabs.

The teleconnections are showing the US are not getting the blob of death so it has to go somewhere. ECM T216 tries to do this.

No faith in anything at 9 days but the models show this.

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Accessories

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

IMHO the GFS 12z is now pretty much in line with what the NOAA anomaly charts have been suggesting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

If we look at 7 days which is still way up for grabs.

The teleconnections are showing the US are not getting the blob of death so it has to go somewhere. ECM T216 tries to do this.

No faith in anything even at 7 days but the models show this.

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Accessories

No forgiveness for the GFS model from me, it was a wind up last winter too. At least the other models correct themselves pretty fast, in fact it was ECM that first had more amplification a few days back back at T 240, but it was only one run.

I posted this earlier......this was the GFS Ens just yesterday, and I'll post it again, not even a half way house, what a joke!!!!!

graphe_ens3.gif

Edited by snowray