Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

absolute belter that, this year has got a 2013 & 2018 signature written all over it in a big thick marker pen.

When was the date of the Feb 2018 technical SSW again?

Posted

That is one hell of a run from the gfs..but the op seems to be on its own the ens are against it..how can we be excited about something developing 10+ days away..let's see what the ECM says in morning..also as I have said before the gfs shows the heights settling in the perfect position in my opinion between Iceland and Norway..and you can see what the results are!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

8th feb i think - hope i am not getting mixed up with 2010.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

I think it was the 14th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

absolute belter that, this year has got a 2013 & 2018 signature written all over it in a big thick marker pen.

I just got giddy there Feb with you mentioning those dates,...lets hope that that name lives up to it's name😊

i didn't see them strat charts back in those years or i have prob forgot what they looked like,...i don't want to derail the thread but do you have those charts saved for them years?

it would be interesting if the outcome was to come to fruition like those years

i have forgot about this easterly what was forcast by the gfs but maybe later after another northery plunge(recent showings) that we may have an easterly once the trough drops down into Europe,...just a hunch as the mjo works more in our favour later in the month.

Edited by Allseasons-si
Added text
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

5 minutes ago, sundog said:

I think it was the 14th.

8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Some pretty useful stuff here: 

AGUPUBS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

❄️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Yes GFS forecasts in strat lately have been dramatic also some signs of a building to split. This would make some twitchy for those hoping for an early spring. 

CB154405-4346-4252-9B87-D8CC165FF0CC.thumb.gif.080c380e369a894f2055475a96fb1479.gif

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I'm just wondering whether or not we can still get this high next week a little further north, 400-500 miles is nothing on a global scale at day 5.

Note the colder cluster around the 8th in the gefs and the jma has also pulled it a little north.

Probably will come to nothing, but something to watch on the 00z runs.

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

JN132-21 (11).gif

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm just wondering whether or not we can still get this high next week a little further north, 400-500 miles is nothing on a global scale at day 5.

Note the colder cluster around the 8th in the gefs and the jma has also pulled it a little north.

Probably will come to nothing, but something to watch on the 00z runs.

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

JN132-21 (11).gif

Even with that adjustment by the JMA winds are still South southeast so not great

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well that’s very nice if you don’t mind me saying 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Kangaroo, Mammal, Animal

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Even with that adjustment by the JMA winds are still South southeast so not great

Yes it's a going to be a stretch to get the high far enough north to make the wind veer easterly, but there is just enough time for an adjustment in the next 2-3 runs

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

for the SE & London this run would be up there with the greats.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Are our tickets transferrable for the next journey, seeing as we didn't get our current ones stamped. Will defo be paying more attention to the postage stamps, rather than just the graphs or ops.

For instance this same date, above, has nearly every scenario going, though not sure if the UK HP showing on a fair few, actually sunk anywhere or is the same pressure as we expecting now.

Could contain: Collage, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
15 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago some similarities in the outputs then to 2018 and with that being one of the Ninà composite years that we could see similarities continue to show up, regardless whether it goes exactly like this the sheer fact of seeing such an amazingly similar run and within Day 7 is enough amazement for me 😃

gensnh-15-1-180.png Mean gensnh-31-5-192.png

2018 archivesnh-2018-2-27-6-0.png archivesnh-2018-2-27-18-0.png

🤠 

1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Here we go,...the control going for it just like the op,this would be more plausible evolution i think, @Kirkcaldy Weather showed us the phases and it ties in with this also with heights north of the UK around Griceland.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

🫡

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS bringing forward the next SSW, or does it all count as one event?

gfsnh-10-246.png

I still fancy some high lat blocking and a cold and possibly snowy spell 2nd half of Feb. 

Meanwhile GFS going for a cheeky and improbable backdoor snow event around the 10th. That is quite a tour for that cold pool.

gfs-1-168.pnggfs-2-186.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles trending a tad colder again?

graphe3_00000_260_66___.gif

Certainly a bit more continental flavour to the wind direction

graphe7_00000_275_104___.gif

It won't be the Beast or Winter wonderland but it could still give some surprise transient snow if it is right.

UKMO, Icon, GEM not remotely interested in any wintriness though

• Like 4

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

18z GFS once again picks the idea of something colder yesterday there was shouts of glee and high fiving when it backed down on the 12z. are we going to see a repeat? another day of  spills and frills on the GFS Rollercoaster 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
6 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Some pretty useful stuff here: 

❄️

The link is gold! Thank you! 

Abstract

A major stratospheric sudden warming (SSW) event was observed in February 2018 after a 4-year absence since the winter of 2013/2014. Based on the reanalysis data, the polar night jet changed from a very strong state to a moderate state during 12–19 January, and the moderate westerlies directly reversed to easterlies during 5–15 February. The intensified East Asian trough, Alaskan blocking, and East U.S. trough amplified the extratropical climatological wave 2, which propagated upward into the stratosphere, leading to a vortex-splitting SSW event. Predictions of the February 2018 SSW event are explored in hindcasts initialized 0–4 weeks in advance by the Beijing Climate Center Climate System Model. Less than 20% of the 28 ensemble members predict the reversal of [U]60°N, 10hPa hindcasts initialized 3 or 4 weeks in advance if a 5-day error is allowed, while this ratio increases to 43% in hindcasts initialized 1 week in advance. Based on the climatological occurrence of SSW events in the forecast system, the maximum deterministic predictable limit of this event is 1–2 weeks in this forecast system. The eddy heat flux and its domination by wave 2 can only be predicted within the predictable time limit. A comparison between hindcast members initialized 2 weeks in advance suggests that the extratropical troughs and blockings are responsible for the upward propagation of waves from the troposphere to the stratosphere. The predictable limit of the stratospheric circulation pattern for the February 2018 SSW, 1–2 weeks, also generalizes to other vortex split SSW events such as the January 2009 and February 1999 cases.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted

The GFS obliterated the strat at T330, the decides to heat up again by T384. Something tells me things could be properly interesting late in feb and throughout March. Have we every had a SSW on a SSW

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Face, Person, Rainforest, Vegetation

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The GFS obliterated the strat at T330, the decides to heat up again by T384. Something tells me things could be properly interesting late in feb and throughout March. Have we every had a SSW on a SSW

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Face, Person, Rainforest, Vegetation

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

Can somebody advise how long the lag time was after the SSW event in February 2018.

For some reason I have it in mind the warming had a relatively quick impact on wind reversal and effects 'on the ground' were felt as little as 10 days after the event?

We hear alot about a warming event taking up to a month to have impacts on our climate, just feel the transition in 2018 was quicker..

I might be wrong.

Posted
3 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Can somebody advise how long the lag time was after the SSW event in February 2018.

For some reason I have it in mind the warming had a relatively quick impact on wind reversal and effects 'on the ground' were felt as little as 10 days after the event?

We hear alot about a warming event taking up to a month to have impacts on our climate, just feel the transition in 2018 was quicker..

I might be wrong.

I think the SSW happened around 12 Feb, so around 2 weeks. Whether that depends on the conditions already in place at ground level I don’t know, but it definitely depends on the type of SSW and location of the warming.

IF we do get a SSW I’m hoping for a v quick response to get the most out of it - we can still get -15c uppers into March with the perfect set up.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
7 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I might be wrong.

In the reanalysis, two large deceleration periods are observed before the SSW onset (12–19 January and 5–15 February). The zonal mean zonal wind is steady at ~30 m/s between the two periods. It is clear that the [U]60°N, 10hPa decelerates most rapidly in the second period. The westerlies begin to reverse to easterlies on 11 February, and the easterlies persist for more than 2 weeks. The easterlies fluctuate below the zero line from 11 to 28 February, and the maximum easterlies reach ~20 m/s on 15 February. It can be seen that the circumpolar westerlies gradually recover after 28 February.

Source 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I might be wrong.

Depends on conditions already in place. It takes less time if it's going with the flow. 

Edited by Spikey M
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The UKMO overnight run for the 9th is a better looking chart for cold than the GEFS, UKMO hinting at bringing in colder air from the NW also due to better HP positioning over Scandi.

UN144-7.gif

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1