Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I am without words.....

Oh well, we still have the pub run to look forward to and some possible eye candy, just hoping its had a lot to drink tonight.:drunk-emoji:

Could contain: Art, Person, Plot, ChartCould contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Accessories

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well, at least ECM is sticking to its guns. 🤡

In a way it does actually make things more interesting knowing the outcome is still fluid to some extent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Given how we were constantly told not to rule the GFS out a few weeks ago when it was the only model showing cold, I presume the same is true of the ECM now it’s the model not showing cold? 😜

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

There is always JMA chaps and chapesses

JN264-21.GIF?16-12

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Models are still working things out, it will all change tomorrow I bet. Prepare for further ups and downs. If it's utter tosh output by the 24th of February, then utter tosh is what we will probably get.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Given how we were constantly told not to rule the GFS out a few weeks ago when it was the only model showing cold, I presume the same is true of the ECM now it’s the model not showing cold? 😜

Slight difference, GFS was battered, ECM gets a raised eyebrow. You have the performance charts, think you have answered your own question.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

eh? You were told to rule it out because it’s useless. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

There is always JMA chaps and chapesses

JN264-21.GIF?16-12

JMA delivers another NE..  

There's too much uncertainty in the models atm for the end of next week - I think we should reserve judgement for now.

Edited by Gowon
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
14 minutes ago, snowray said:

I am without words.....

Oh well, we still have the pub run to look forward to and some possible eye candy, just hoping its had a lot to drink tonight.:drunk-emoji:

Could contain: Art, Person, Plot, ChartCould contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Accessories

I kinda like the day 10 chart from ECM - that high could migrate north , forcing the trough down it's eastern flank?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

If anyone wants a free towel , Ive got loads ......

towel.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, s4lancia said:

Irrespective of to what degree different people understand charts, teleconnections, background signals etc, the same problem resides in this forum.

There are those who only seem to look at charts at face value. i.e... a set of 4 x daily GEFS plot, which are showing nothing particularly spectacular on the horizon. And there are those who are willing to open their minds to what is going on upstream

As a newcomer to this thread I would observe that one of the problems seems to reside in a disconnect between what people want to see and what the models are actually showing. 

As a lover of skiing all over the world I know for a fact that our climate has changed in the past 20 years. The setups which we once took for granted are now rarer than a hen's teeth. That's another driver amongst many that we now need to factor in to our model watching. Not just how brilliant upstream signals may seem.

xx

Edited by Tills
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Need to wait until around 25th Feb I’d say to see what the first week of March looks like. If there’s nothing of interest by then it would be disappointing. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, MATT TATTOO said:

Chief mediator here folks.

We need to keep very cool heads in the days ahead. The models ain't gonna be even close to working out what's going on High above at this precise moment in time. We really need to be seeing the models catering what's going on now into there outputs within a week or so! It's far to early for 10 day output to be showing us narnia sypnotics right now! And many of you already know this..you've wrote the book and got the t shirt to show for it.

Anyone talking of towel throwing at this very point in time are simply...not clued up in what's going on,or looking for a rise! Don't entertain them...simply use the ignore facility! 

There's a lot to be enthusiastic about in the days ahead and the models are gonna be scratching there heads and having sleepless nights for many many days to come.

Never knew there was that function, thanks for pointing out.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC 46 looks good second week of March onwards..

i'm a little disappointed that real stonker (the chart i posted) isn't until into week 3 of march at least - the anoms in all the right places on that one.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Quite many dismiss the AO and NAO forecast on here stating it`s just an ensemble watch.

It has been pretty much spot on for me, the US has not been battered like it normally does and the plunge they did have was modelled.

I am really on the fence and out of my comfort zone but there is some chaos going on, more so on the AO. The NAO is having a good go at going negative also. 

There is signals, take them with a pinch of salt.

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

imo the models have this right.  The mjo is a passing signal. The SSW is major and not likely to impose itself until end of 1st week in March…..then as Feb1991 says….date record cold challenging weather in the offing.  I’m anticipating a lot of great golf weather late Feb/early March.   See you after that…..landing date about 10th March…with ‘set up’ in place before then

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

i'm a little disappointed that real stonker (the chart i posted) isn't until into week 3 at least - the anoms in all the right places on that one.

Yes looks cold and wintry , I've stated its not my cup of tea by mid March but I appreciate some guys will take it..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Not that it matters much but the ECM op was on one tonight . Clear outlier. Here’s to a record breaking cold March 🥶(hopefully) .🤞🏻

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Chart, Line Chart

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1