Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

I would suggest not going to Greece in Mid July then!

Have to go now for various reasons; I would choose May or September if I could but can't unfortunately. Those temps are around 5 degrees above the norm so are unusual; would expect something like 30-32.

I was there this time last year and bar one three-day period it was comfortable (low 30s mostly) throughout the extended stay. And it was apparently warmer than average last year, so my reasoning was that if I could cope with it last year things would probably be ok.

just venting my frustration at these infuriating synoptics which are just giving various parts of Europe deviations from the norm in the wrong direction.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer8906 said:

Getting seriously concerned also about the weather where I'm going in Greece, but in the opposite way to the UK.

BBC now forecasting 5 consecutive days above 35 degrees from July 12th-16th, with one day featuring 37.

Now I dislike dull, wet and 17 in midsummer as much as the next person, and like warm dry weather in the summer, but don't like extreme heat (35+) either - you just can't do anything at those sorts of temps. My tolerance to the temperature drops markedly going from 30 to 35.

The UK gets dull wet conditions and southern Europe gets conditions which belong in North Africa and the Middle East. A horrendous month.

Can we please have some nice pleasant summer weather, from 20 up to the low 30s, throughout Europe? ;-0

We were in Zante, August 1998 - temps touched 42c for 3 days running. By early afternoon the sea was literally steaming. One night i slept on the mattress on the balcony - woke up next day covered in mosquito bites. At 1 in the morn the temp was still 33c. Stifling!

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Should we perhaps be looking at the anticyclonicity of June rather than the warmth? In other words, focus on anticyclonic but not spectacularly warm Junes such as 1957 at the expense of mixed Junes such as 2017 and poorish ones like 1966 and 2020? The dull, wet cyclonic June 2016 is clearly not a good analogue.

So perhaps good analogues to look at would be the Junes that were distinctly settled and fine: 2018 (good July), 2015 (poorish July), 2014 (good July), 2010 (average July), 2009 (poor July), 2006 (good July), 1996 (goodish July), 1994 (good July), 1992 (poor July), 1989 (good July), 1986 (mixed July), 1984  (good July), as well as 1976 (good), 1957 (poor) and I'm sure many others from the pre-1980 period. "Good" in this context means warm/dry/sunny.

Looks mixed with something of a bias towards good.

if you can find the data for that... however, whatever, wherever that might be then please go ahead and research that yourself! lol. the subject was warm/good junes leading to bad/poor julys... ive proven that there no link and that actually warm junes usually lead to decent julys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, mushymanrob said:

if you can find the data for that... however, whatever, wherever that might be then please go ahead and research that yourself! lol. the subject was warm/good junes leading to bad/poor julys... ive proven that there no link and that actually warm junes usually lead to decent julys.

Yep there is no link. A poor July after a good June is simply a coincidence. There are poor June's followed by poor July's, good June's followed by good July's, poor June's followed by good July's and good June's followed by poor July's. All will be represented. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Disgusting evening it's becoming. So dark. Yep. I've resigned to it - I cannot live in this climate forever. It's just not good for my mental health.

Heyho.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
9 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

We were in Zante, August 1998 - temps touched 42c for 3 days running. By early afternoon the sea was literally steaming. One night i slept on the mattress on the balcony - woke up next day covered in mosquito bites. At 1 in the morn the temp was still 33c. Stifling!

Sounds difficult! I have spent time in Greece in a couple of recent summers so am not naive to the local weather, but the conditions, while warm, were almost exclusively under 35.

7 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Fair point, sorry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, markyo said:

I would suggest not going to Greece in Mid July then!

On this occasion I agree with you.

Given most of Greece, even the islands average 30-35C in July those temps should be no more surprising than 24-27C here. In fact all places in Greece are prone 40C + readings. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks like some heavy rain about to reach west London. Don’t mind it for a while, it’ll give everything a good drink. Thursday and Friday look better here, maybe some thunderstorm potential on Saturday?

Absolutely grim, managed to sneak out of work early at 5:30 and greeted by a cold wet walk to the car. No point going to the pub or driving range as it’s just miserable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
38 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Have to go now for various reasons; I would choose May or September if I could but can't unfortunately. Those temps are around 5 degrees above the norm so are unusual; would expect something like 30-32.

I was there this time last year and bar one three-day period it was comfortable (low 30s mostly) throughout the extended stay. And it was apparently warmer than average last year, so my reasoning was that if I could cope with it last year things would probably be ok.

just venting my frustration at these infuriating synoptics which are just giving various parts of Europe deviations from the norm in the wrong direction.

I am in Greece in two weeks time but have to admit I am a heat worshipper and am looking forward to the hot weather,something I am not keen on in the UK anything over 25c in the UK it just becomes humid and unbearable.Love Greece been so many times its now becoming my second home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Oddly, we've been amongst the warmest places in the UK yet again here in Hull. A decent day of sunny spells here though turning cloudier now.

Yet down south its 12-14C over many areas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Well, we needed the rain and boy have we got it this afternoon.

We have been transported temporarily to november

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not a bad day at all, up in the North East, Whitley Bay, plenty of sunshine, quite warm and lovely breeze. Not a bad summers day at all!

Lucky git LOLOL!!!

Some more joy here ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Oddly, we've been amongst the warmest places in the UK yet again here in Hull. A decent day of sunny spells here though turning cloudier now.

It's majorly disappointing, then again the start of July wasn't that brilliant last year.  Think 3 components that gave us our great summer last year were rising solar activity, the negative IOD worked in our favour as well as the developing west QBO.  Also on most days last summer we had a positive AO/NAO combination except when it came down to August in spite of it being the 3rd hottest on record.   

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Yes, we reached 21.1C here today and it remained dry and mainly sunny.

I mentioned in the Yorkshire thread but the outlook looks rather warm. The GFS 12z has a mean max over the next 10 days of 23.5C here, which is over 2C above average.

It would only take a hot spell in the final third of the month and we'd be looking at a July right up there (here anyway).

• Like 1

Posted

I have lived here for over 17 years, and the garage had only flooded once up until 2016.

Since then, probably flooded twice a year.

It has now flooded 4 times in the last week and twice today. 

Global warming in action.

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Disgusting evening it's becoming. So dark. Yep. I've resigned to it - I cannot live in this climate forever. It's just not good for my mental health.

Heyho.

I agree. I'm now seriously planning to be gone by next year. It doesn't even depress me: it gets on my last nerve to think of all the sunshine I could be enjoying if I was elsewhere.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Well, Netweather got this one spectacularly wrong so far...

image.thumb.png.816d9396479e85a71529acd7e03d05b2.png

It's only been four days. June started off very cool, and is now the warmest on record. Best to reflect around the middle of the month imo. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frigid said:

It's only been four days. June started off very cool, and is now the warmest on record. Best to reflect around the middle of the month imo. 

The Met mid-long range forecast says otherwise: unsettled weather for most of July, average temps. Let's see who's right and who's wrong 🙂 I suspect the Met's gonna be right.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Exactly, let's not get too overwhelmed by our unseasonably cold conditions today and we have to accept that our weather varies from year to year.  We couldn't make it up.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

The Met mid-long range forecast says otherwise: unsettled weather for most of July, average temps. Let's see who's right and who's wrong 🙂 I suspect the Met's gonna be right.

Their Deep Dive video mentioned the return of higher pressure, albeit the high positioned slightly to the west. Looks dry, but not as warm as June I'd say. One to watch out for 😄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
46 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Lucky git LOLOL!!!

Some more joy here ...

Looks my kind of weather! Would find that most agreeable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was in London for the summers of 2010 and 2011; and, during that time, the Met. Office predicted a 'barbecue summer', and NW a 'shades of 1976', neither of which materialised. Predicting seasons is far from easy! 🤔

• Like 1

Looks like the first 4 days of July this year locally have already delivered 2, possibly days that worse than any of the days in all of July and august last year.