Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 minute ago, LetItSnow! said:

I tend to notice when its a gloomfest and a couple days back it did feel a bit gloomy but since then there's been some sunshine at times. I think I've noticed that there hasn't been long sunny spells and I can understand why people are dissapointed with that. It's very much been a couple of hours of some sunshine and then going cloudy again. I haven't been paying attention to sunshine stats but won't be surprised if we fall short of the average, perhaps substantially so as the coming week to 10 days looks unsettled.

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience with this July on the whole- 2 or 3 hours of intermittent sun but then fully clouded over. Normally any sun is restricted to the morning too so it's a lot more noticeable having a big chunk of the afternoon clouded over. Would be nice to have had a few more mostly sunny days chucked in but no luck so far. The 7th July was lovely though and last Sunday was pretty fair- They're just very few and far between at the mo down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
29 minutes ago, markyo said:

I just don't understand this, every day i'm travelling around, not had one day this week of your" Rancid grey sky purgatory".  Had blue skies, nice temps, lovely breeze, folk out and about. I simply don't get it? Yes some rain but nothing at all out of the ordinary.

Yeah it’s been a decent few days of weather here really. The odd splash of rain from passing showers but predominantly dry, breezy and comfortable in terms of temperature.

I don’t know why some people on here don’t just come out and explicitly state they want a 30c heatwave. That’s the inference of the posts on here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Perfect summer for me so far, great growing weather and not to hot to work outside in.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
22 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Hopefully a bit more sunshine in August, don't mind what , I'll even take 15c and in August at this point haha.

Ill gladly take something like a drier and sunnier August 2014 at this point. I recall it being cold but still fairly sunny and settled. Plus the following September was lovely around those parts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
2 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Ill gladly take something like a drier and sunnier August 2014 at this point. I recall it being cold but still fairly sunny and settled. Plus the following September was lovely around those parts. 

"Drier" and "August 2014" in the same sentence 🥴 it was an awful month.

image.thumb.png.745feceaa3ae991603b4b565740647a1.png

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Last few days have been alright here to be fair - absolutely forgettable in a better summer but fine for July 2023

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

Fingers crossed you may get more to your liking ,mid month, but honestly got to say its been a lovely day up North!

Been a nice day for the most part here in the se too. Clouded over with those stormy looking but dry clouds again this evening, but was sunny all day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
27 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don’t know why some people on here don’t just come out and explicitly state they want a 30c heatwave. That’s the inference of the posts on here.

Most people don't want a heatwave, they just want settled, dry and sunny or partly cloudy days with temps of 23-27c, so it still feels warm in the shade and in any breeze.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for that in the 2nd half of July! 

Edited by B87
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It seems that whenever a hosepipe ban is declared, the heavens open with a vengeance and it stays that way for several weeks.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
7 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

"Drier" and "August 2014" in the same sentence 🥴 it was an awful .

image.thumb.png.745feceaa3ae991603b4b565740647a1.png

Better than this pathetic excuse of a July at least. 

image.thumb.png.8ccb2fe1f02512db1fd161bc05bf512a.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

August 2014 was slightly sunnier than average in London. 214 hours of sun, 98mm so exceptionally wet and an average max of 21.7c, which is pathetic for August.

I hope we don't get a repeat this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It seems that whenever a hosepipe ban is declared, the heavens open with a vengeance.

i always find it odd with the UK and hosepipe bans..i have never seen such a thing here in Edmonton esp bearing in mind its not unusual to go 8-12 months with little in the way of precipitation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its nothing like it! Done over a thousand miles this week, your talking nonsense sorry. Yes some poor weather rain wise but far far more clear skies, good temps than anything else.

Not on the East Coast markyo, hammered it down yesterday evening, grey clag all day today with rain on and off, temps between 14 & 16c, raining again now, dreadful day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Better than this pathetic excuse of a July at least. 

image.thumb.png.8ccb2fe1f02512db1fd161bc05bf512a.png

Ok so most of the country is bang on avarage, what am I missing?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i always find it odd with the UK and hosepipe bans..i have never seen such a thing here in Edmonton esp bearing in mind its not unusual to go 8-12 months with little in the way of precipitation.

But then you have glaciated mountains nearby. We don't have many of those!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
50 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Plenty of sunshine where you are. Here where I am, not so much. There are no normal British summer conditions. This is like 2012, only worse. All the July's in between have been better than this endless bilge.

Yes, definitely worse than 2012 and that's saying something. At least in July 2012 there was a warm sunny spell towards the end of the month. Doesn't look as if there's going to be any of that during the remainder of this month.

This July for me is actually reminiscent of July 2007. Unseasonably cyclonic throughout with little to no warm days. Both Julys are also a year after great summers.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
49 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry  your very specific area hasn't seen better weather honestly. But overall it has not been bad at all. Normal UK summer conditions.

Been the same as Southend over here in the West Country. But yes… just his specific area… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Ok so most of the country is bang on avarage, what am I missing?

August 2014 I can see getting a bad rap for being cold (I don't see it often mentioned though it doesnt really seem to stand out good or bad) and it wasn't exactly a amazing August like last years but at least sunshine levels are pretty decent average to a lil above average going by this map. Basically me being so desperate for sunshine that Aug 2014 looks outstanding. 

Edited by Catbrainz
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Not on the East Coast markyo, hammered it down yesterday evening, grey clag all day today with rain on and off, temps between 14 & 16c, raining again now, dreadful day!

All week?....Never said it was perfect did i?

Edited by markyo
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
5 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

August 2014 I can see getting a bad rap for being cold (I don't see it often mentioned though it doesnt really seem to stand out good or bad) and it wasn't exactly a amazing August like last years but at least sunshine levels are pretty decent average to a lil above average going by this map. Basically me being so desperate for sunshine that Aug 2014 looks outstanding. 

It was the second wettest August this century nationally for the UK with only 2004 wetter. Ex-hurricane Bertha hit England on the 10th and gave a deluge. It was horrendous and was especially a shock after the lovely June and wonderful July. The only colder than average month in 2014 just had to be August, it had to be out of all months. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this day looks very cold? at least away from the SE, sunless too with convective clouds, could there be a ground frost in prone areas Tues AM

image.thumb.png.1949d5706975b942e1723bc0f88e8c0d.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
27 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 2014 was slightly sunnier than average in London. 214 hours of sun, 98mm so exceptionally wet and an average max of 21.7c, which is pathetic for August.

I hope we don't get a repeat this year.

The forecasts can't seem to agree if it's going to be a cold washout or a scorching hot August. Given the modern climate you'd be forgiven for thinking that average to hot would be the more likely outcome...

Edited by razorgrain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

All week?....Never said it was perfect did i?

I never said all week either, just posted it has been crap on East Coast yesterday and today 🤷‍♂️, chill your beans 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, razorgrain said:

Yeah I'm just beyond jaffa cakesed off with it now. I will gladly pray for a warm winter otherwise I'll not survive another year of crippling SAD. Really was hoping this summer would be a long hot one to add some elixir. Really does feel like life works against you sometimes.

A warm winter usually means cloudy and wet. If you are vulnerable to SAD you want a cold winter with plenty of crisp Arctic air masses.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 minute ago, al78 said:

A warm winter usually means cloudy and wet. If you are vulnerable to SAD you want a cold winter with plenty of crisp Arctic air masses.

Not when one of the triggers is cold temps