Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Best case scenario is that 2023 will be looked at as a very odd summer where the traditional "high summer" was poor but the period just before and after were great, making it a good summer overall stats wise even if it won't be remembered that way. 

That's only if we get a very good last two thirds of August. If that doesn't happen then this summer will be June alone. Perhaps like 2010

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

And despite people telling me it wasn’t possible in here - some foliage is definitely starting to turn here and has been since last week.

Here too. There's a tree (don't ask me, but in spring it's got white flowers) I pass by every day and it's already got 3 reddish leaves. It's never happened before so early.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Buzz said:

This kind of statement absolutely befuddles me - it's not even August yet! September can also have very fine weather, even early to mid October. Then of course there's snow potential to look forward to, and then Spring and onto the next Summer.

To be fair when some of us saw the writing on the wall for summer 23 back in June, people were saying ‘it’s not even July yet!’

August doesn’t look like improving - at least not until the 2nd week at the earliest. Signs are not good and once we hit September, yeah it can be warm but the light levels have changed dramatically and the nights are drawing in - like having snow in March, it doesn’t quite bring the same excitement.

Anyway. Summer 2023. Started off brilliantly after an 8 month long winter then literally drove off a cliff and caught fire. No storms either so I’m gonna rank it at around a 2/10 for that lovely period in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Absolutely and now we have the added bonus of knowing we may not get a spring at all! So there’s no point even getting your hopes up in February - might as well hold on until May. 

I have to say worrying about the weather 9 months from now is a little over the top. 2023 was particularly bad but we always knew it was possible. Most years will feature some kind of warm sunny spell by mid April and thinking about that kind of thing makes me giddy with optimism in late winter.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

and now we have the added bonus of knowing we may not get a spring at all! So there’s no point even getting your hopes up in February - might as well hold on until May. 

Errrr ..... WHAT??? Did you read that in The Sun or some other part of the trashy media?

Posted
1 minute ago, Buzz said:

Errrr ..... WHAT??? Did you read that in The Sun or some other part of the trashy media?

Sorry mate, I have literally no idea what you’re trying to say.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

And despite people telling me it wasn’t possible in here - some foliage is definitely starting to turn here and has been since last week.

That's more likely due to all of the earlier dry weather.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

To be fair when some of us saw the writing on the wall for summer 23 back in June, people were saying ‘it’s not even July yet!’

August doesn’t look like improving - at least not until the 2nd week at the earliest. Signs are not good and once we hit September, yeah it can be warm but the light levels have changed dramatically and the nights are drawing in - like having snow in March, it doesn’t quite bring the same excitement.

Anyway. Summer 2023. Started off brilliantly after an 8 month long winter then literally drove off a cliff and caught fire. No storms either so I’m gonna rank it at around a 2/10 for that lovely period in June.

I haven't been on here all week because it's been too depressing to comment. But today throws up new highs of rubbish. Currently 13c chucking it down with rain. 29 mph wind gusts. Oh what joy. And to cap it all the womens world cup coming live from Brisbane and people in the stadium, at night, mid winter in short sleave shirts. Laughable. And people will come back at me with 'well Brisbane is loads further north in some zone or other' I don't care. It's just so depressing. I feel for those poor Aussies who have come over to our 'summer' for the Ashes and get this dross. Embarrasing. I remember watching Wimbledon tennis a few years ago in yet another useless summer and the commentator said to the Aussie player ' I bet you don't get summers like this in Australia?' To which she replied 'We don't get winters like this in Australia mate'.  Rant over. 

• Like 5

Posted

Tough to take both Spring and Summer being a disgrace. Even in the worst years like 2012 it's only one of the seasons being awful. Some got a good May but anywhere away from the west typically got a mix of cloud days and the occasional sunny day with average temperatures. The 2 weeks in June have been the only actual good warm spell since last August. Counting down the days until I get out of this drizzly island. Possibly the worst year weatherwise in my lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I name today "TV remote control" day😁.

Footie about to start

The Open golf

The Ashes (guess that's doubtful though)

Horse racing - picked my winners already (understand it's not everyone's fav👍)

Yep, due to the crap weather here, plus the looney hoardes clogging up the roads and not being able to wait for week 2 or 3 of school summer hols before they pack their cars, in true Clampett-style.

The tv remote control is thrust into the spotlight right in the middle of Summer.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Tough to take both Spring and Summer being a disgrace. Even in the worst years like 2012 it's only one of the seasons being awful. Some got a good May but anywhere away from the west typically got a mix of cloud days and the occasional sunny day with average temperatures. The 2 weeks in June have been the only actual good warm spell since last August. Counting down the days until I get out of this drizzly island. Possibly the worst year weatherwise in my lifetime.

Yep. Spring was mostly wet and at best average/mostly below average temps. April through September my favourite time of the year with 'potential' for warmth. This year apart from 2 and half weeks in June (even that had 6 or 7 days of downpours here) nothing. Ziltch. Prepare for a stunning..........   .November.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

IMG_0440.thumb.jpeg.1185adf0640ca9108d2020448896c7d3.jpeg

I name today “pool and sun lounger day”!  With the added addition of unlimited, branded, alcoholic drinks and snacks!  

Sorry to rub it in, I’ll disappear for the day now.  Enjoy the rain & traffic jams @Bristle Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I just scooched through my BBC forecast app: not only might tomorrow's 23C be the highest temperature of the entire two weeks, we have eight days of thundery showers to look forward to. I'll believe that when I see it! 😁

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yet, Louise L (BBC R4) was talking last night of sunny periods and only isolated showers tomorrow (Sunday). Who should we believe? I'm sure the cricketers and golf-ies, currently in the NW of England, would like a definitive answer to this question. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
8 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I just scooched through my BBC forecast app: not only might tomorrow's 23C be the highest temperature of the entire two weeks, we have eight days of thundery showers to look forward to. I'll believe that when I see it! 😁

Yes with regards to anything BBC weather if on their website or app the words 'ashtray and motorbike' come together...just yesterday BBC weather was showing that it would be raining now.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes with regards to anything BBC weather if on their website or app the words 'ashtray and motorbike' come together...just yesterday BBC weather was showing that it would be raining now.

It is coming.... promise!

Posted
45 minutes ago, AWD said:

IMG_0440.thumb.jpeg.1185adf0640ca9108d2020448896c7d3.jpeg

I name today “pool and sun lounger day”!  With the added addition of unlimited, branded, alcoholic drinks and snacks!  

Sorry to rub it in, I’ll disappear for the day now.  Enjoy the rain & traffic jams @Bristle Si

Well at least you can see some blue sky on that picture. I've forgot what it looks like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
On 20/07/2023 at 13:45, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I spoke too soon. Just looked out and mostly all cloud now! Gah!!

I might do this too actually. Although will have to be october half term or February. Where will you go?

Belated reply as I've been away for a couple of days visiting a friend. 

Thinking Greece, Cyprus, or the Canary Islands.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

Properly dire. Even people who don't like heat have to recognise how awful the weather has been since, well, March, from a warmth and sunshine perspective. Other than the warm spell in June of course.

It's just felt like one continuous season of dross. How is 14-19c and cloudy for months on-end anything enjoyable for weather-lovers? It's just monotonous. 

The amount of bright sunny mornings and evenings we've lost this year due to perpetual grey is honestly astonishing.

1 hour ago, Buzz said:

That's more likely due to all of the earlier dry weather.

You're having an actual giggle 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summers like this really do make you think seriously about moving abroad, especially in combination with the UK’s awful economy & declining living standards. Only friends & family keep me here. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Urgh. Ghastly day. Rain has yet to set in here, it’s dry but cool, breezy and cloudy and it won’t be long before it’s peeing it down here too. 

I wanted to go and work for a week in Portugal, my wife didn’t think we should spend the money, and now she’s regretting it…..

Could have been in the Algarve right now…

• Insightful 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, danm said:

Urgh. Ghastly day. Rain has yet to set in here, it’s dry but cool, breezy and cloudy and it won’t be long before it’s peeing it down here too. 

I wanted to go and work for a week in Portugal, my wife didn’t think we should spend the money, and now she’s regretting it…..

I feel for you, Dan.

I've been trying to persuade my wife for us to pop down the Med in a week's time, but nope, we are waiting 'til our scheduled Algarve 2 weeks right at end Aug into Sept. Meanwhile it really is more like late Oct here, today. It's lashing down and 14c. Grim.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

This made me laugh my head off. Yeah, summer 23 did catch fire since late June.

Its been atrocious for July, and this is possibly one of the worst summer months I’ve seen in recent years.

15 minutes ago, danm said:

This rivals any of those miserable days back in those poor summers of the 80s.

• Like 2