Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.

Abysmal excuse for a summer's day.Steady rain,grey and miserable.So it seems we get 11 months of grey misery and one of sunshine of we are lucky.Fingers crossed for August..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I guess at least it’s raining so the grey is doing something useful. Had to find a positive lol

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe a 1 or 2 hour break befors the next front? How is it possible to have this small a gap between two fronts?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

Maybe a 1 or 2 hour break befors the next front? How is it possible to have this small a gap between two fronts?

It's standard surely, depends how close you are to the triple point, how soon the cold front comes over, after the warm front.

• Insightful 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I guess at least it’s raining so the grey is doing something useful. Had to find a positive lol

It's something of a miracle Old Trafford test match has managed 2 and a half hours play. And we got Lubuchagne out! Weather looking very dodgy Manchester tomorrow. Might ease off in the afternoon perhaps. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
8 minutes ago, Meat n Two Veg said:

Abysmal excuse for a summer's day.Steady rain,grey and miserable.So it seems we get 11 months of grey misery and one of sunshine of we are lucky.Fingers crossed for August..

August record high temperature is 38.5°c set on the 10th in 2003. September record high is 35.6°c set on the 2nd in 1906. I'm sure this'll get disliked but no one can deny the temperature trend is going upward and this is especially pronounced in recent decades.

Point being, record highs have a greater probability of being broken and the period during which we can experience notable warmth is expanding. August and September certainly have the potential to deliver notable warmth given the correct pattern. Can't really deny that fact. You would expect to see these records broken given the climate is continually warming. The question is when.

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Meat n Two Veg said:

Yeah but remember those 11 months of wet weather bring ‘welcome’ rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yeah but remember those 11 months of wet weather bring ‘welcome’ rain.

You'd think we lived in Bergen the way some people go on on here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

we just had 16.6mm west of Dublin in last hour ..Bergen it is at the moment 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

August record high temperature is 38.5°c set on the 10th in 2003. September record high is 35.6°c set on the 2nd in 1906. I'm sure this'll get disliked but no one can deny the temperature trend is going upward and this is especially pronounced in recent decades.

Point being, record highs have a greater probability of being broken and the period during which we can experience notable warmth is expanding. August and September certainly have the potential to deliver notable warmth given the correct pattern. Can't really deny that fact. You would expect to see these records broken given the climate is continually warming. The question is when.

I will certainly enjoy the Mediterranean climate when it embraces us...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
2 hours ago, Don said:

This is starting to look like a summer equivalent of winter 2010/11!

ooh, if we get the winter that followed, I'd take that...! 😍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
30 minutes ago, B87 said:

Bergen is a special kind of awful climate-wise. Possibly the worst climate of any city in Europe with more than 100,000 people (bar Reykjavik). 1,100 hours of sun a year, 2,300mm of rain, 195 days with more than 1mm of rain, chilly winters that aren’t cold enough for much snow, and cool/wet/dull summers. Only 12 hours of sun in December on average! 

Beautiful place but I think you probably need the fortitude to tolerate such a dreadful climate. Even a Glaswegian would find it tough. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I will certainly enjoy the Mediterranean climate when it embraces us...

Same to be honest. Everyone clowns the idea of southern England developing a Mediterranean climate because of periods like we've had this month, but even in Mediterranean climates they can expect cooler and wetter than average! I can't find the page now, it might have been a thread on this forum, but there was some discussion about how close parts of the south - particularly London - are from reaching a different Köppen or Trewartha climate classification. 

Posted

Rain most of the day again here, a lot of that horrid stuff that looks and feels like drizzle but is actually as wet as "normal" rain. Temp has gone up to 18C (wow, it's July) since the main band passed.

Something I'm keeping an eye on: July 2023 hasn't had a single pressure reading of 1020mb or above round here. Or anywhere in the UK except some far southern parts. (edit: and Shetland, oddly. When it was north of one of the lows presumably). And the charts don't show any until the morning of Aug 1st (long way off for charts I know). From what records I can find, to not exceed 1020 would be unprecedented here in July for at least 40 years, probably longer. 1988 and 2007 managed it

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
54 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

we just had 16.6mm west of Dublin in last hour ..Bergen it is at the moment 🤣

Day was better than I expected but back to square one the past hour or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
_130489685_mediaitem130489684.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Greece's deputy fire chief says the island's fires are the most difficult his service is now facing.

The heat certainly is causing misery in certain areas, sadly no respite in site just yet. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Just thought I'd re-visit the MetO  "Deep Dive" - Summer Forecast Special for June, July and August published on the 30.05.23
Not quite going to plan MetO!
@15 mins - 20mins HP to the north LP to the south of the UK
@20 mins - 23 mins Higher than average / normal temperatures for pretty much all of Europe apart from the northern fringes
@23 mins and on - 5%  chance of a cooler summer "really unlikely"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhweDD_DlE

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:
_130489685_mediaitem130489684.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Greece's deputy fire chief says the island's fires are the most difficult his service is now facing.

The heat certainly is causing misery in certain areas, sadly no respite in site just yet. 

Wouldn't mind if it could creep above 14c in Dudley. 

Posted
Just now, StingJet said:

Just thought I'd re-visit the MetO  "Deep Dive" - Summer Forecast Special for June, July and August published on the 30.05.23
Not quite going to plan MetO!
@15 mins - 20mins HP to the north LP to the south of the UK

@20 mins - 24 mins Higher than average / normal temperatures for pretty much all of Europe apart from the northern fringes
@23 mins and on - 5%  chance of a cooler summer "really unlikely"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhweDD_DlE

Forecasters are never going to hear the end of it, I don't envy them. They could have a 100% verifiable forecast and all they'll hear is "yeah you said that for summer 2023!"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
25 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Forecasters are never going to hear the end of it, I don't envy them. They could have a 100% verifiable forecast and all they'll hear is "yeah you said that for summer 2023!"

This was the forecast for "contingency planners"  
At least they have moved on from such phrases as "BBQ Summer" and "Sizzler" They speak in terms of probabilities now,  which provides the "get out" clause(s) of it not going to the higher probability or most likely "outcome", they have their backsides covered.

Edited by StingJet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Wouldn't mind if it could creep above 14c in Dudley. 

I know you would mate....least your house or business is not burning down, kind of puts things in perspective.

Edited by markyo

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

I know net you are mate....least your house or business is not burning down, kind of puts things in perspective.

So everywhere that experiences hot weather burns down? Greece. Southern Spain. Italy always get hot weather. Always have . Always will. Just like our summers are usually a pile of crud. Think back to 1997. How many proper summers has UK had?   I reckon 4. 2003. 2006. 2018. 2022. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s 16°C here in west London at lunchtime. On 22 July. 8°C below average. 

Absolutely diabolical today. Genuinely feels like late Autumn. 

I’ve pounced on my wife’s pangs of regret about not flying out to Portugal this weekend and am determined to get us somewhere I can work from whilst the kids enjoy a pool this week coming up if I possibly can. 

• Like 1

Posted

I thought last Friday was a howler however today has taken the ABSOLUTE HOWLER crown!

The briefest of brightness early on then dull and very wet since 09.00 and getting even worse this evening! Not sure how it maxxed at 15.3c either.

This is actually the 3rd day this month I have written “dull and very wet” as my notes in my records!