Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
16 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Really after a couple of runs and completely at loggerheads with the recent met update! 

No precipitation? There are several warnings in force for Sunday onwards..this place really does leave me scratching my head.

Yep, pretty much why I posted this morning about having a punt for the LP`s. Worrying about exact placements of a LP on Wednesday or Thursday and it`s only Saturday is baffling.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

The ENS shift the feature south too , I was confident somewhere would get hit - the GEM needs some ECM backing 🤞🤞

The mean precip Charts into Thursday (the day that the snow was initially expected) still shows a battleground scenario 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
39 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Substantial shift south of the low on the 12z GFS.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

The low barely even exists. Pretty sure we can expect this trend to continue, increasingly likely it'll run south of the UK and miss entirely.

I'm not so sure about the east snd west movement soclose in the Atlantic, we might find none of the west moving lows develop. Guess we'll see 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
7 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

The last 12 months have been slack meteorologicaly, so it should come as no surprise that anything dynamic has been watered down.

I just feel a lot of people have been  distracted by the bigger carrot with the so called chance of bigger snow events from the Atlantic.

The initial northerly was key to getting showers and features running down the country and giving lots of snow opportunities before even needing to look to the Atlantic. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Did we really just spend 6 weeks chasing a SSW for it to deliver a couple of days of coastal wintry showers?

Modernised winter get used to it....

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Really after a couple of runs and completely at loggerheads with the recent met update! 

No precipitation? There are several warnings in force for Sunday onwards..this place really does leave me scratching my head.

You need to bear in mind is  he posting from an imby perspective, I imagine. He is not going to see snow in his location based on these runs. I do agree that some places will see snow next week, but it looks quite likely most of us will be dry and then go milder  by the weekend. Its just a pity we could not have the Greenland High boxed in then we would not have to concern ourselves with these pesky systems. I had a feeling the first system would go too far south, but when they keep coming it's usually bad news. 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a couple of positive thoughts:

- The initial surge of Northerly flow is trending colder again with minus 8s across a swathe of the country. The conciding ppn on Monday night may well fall as snow.

- The trend of moving everything South is happening quicker than we could have expected. If that trend continues we will be back in the game with the initial Northerly getting more potent.

So a disappointing set of runs but still a glimmer for short term upgrades 

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

You need to bear in mind is  he posting from an imby perspective, I imagine. He is not going to see snow in his location based on these runs. I do agree that some places will see snow next week, but it looks quite likely most of us will go milder now by the weekend. Its just a pity we could not have the Greenland High boxed in then we would not have to concern ourselves with pesky systems. I had a feeling the first system would go too far south, but when they keep coming it's usually bad news. 

Erm 90% of the country looks dry!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

10-15 day event.  Yes widespread snow.  Still lots to be played out in FI

BFTP

Looking forward to seeing the charts to back this up? 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Erm 90% of the country looks dry!

It's one set of runs, and as you admitted it could change. I still think there maybe be surprises next week in terms of who gets snow fall, but it does look like it will get milder towards next weekend that seems a fairly consistent trend across the models

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A lot of swapping and changing still going on so suggest FI land begins in the middle of next week. So I wouldn't get sad or happy yet when viewing the charts.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure if this is been posted, but the fax charts look great for a battleground scenario heading our way Wednesday night  - add that to the GEM, ICOM and METO update everything is still Game on for some 🥶👍❄️

A0151C8D-0446-4DD8-A1DC-BCCEAA11CE54.webp

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It’s what happens when something is hyped up without context and without taking other factors into account. Don’t expect people to learn from it, though. 

I'm not sure anything was hyped. Many, many runs were showing fairly widespread snow.

Now, just as we enter the fairly reliable, the widespread snow has disappeared like, well, like sna' aff a dyke. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not sure if this is been posted, but the fax charts look great for a battleground scenario heading our way Wednesday night  - add that to the GEM, ICOM and METO update everything is still Game on for some 🥶👍❄️

A0151C8D-0446-4DD8-A1DC-BCCEAA11CE54.webp 150.78 kB · 5 downloads

Isnt that yesterday's chart? Wonder if it will be much more South today

Posted
16 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

I just feel a lot of people have been  distracted by the bigger carrot with the so called chance of bigger snow events from the Atlantic.

The initial northerly was key to getting showers and features running down the country and giving lots of snow opportunities before even needing to look to the Atlantic. 

I can’t see much in the way of snow showers running down in the northerly on runs this afternoon? Perhaps a few flakes here and there but not amounting to anything?  Only glimmer of hope is the GEM this afternoon 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Sea, Water

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

No sense of inevitability about anything at the moment!  An alternative hypothesis might be that the only reason heights are pushing into Iberia is because of the dartboard low in the Atlantic that the models have got wrong from quite early in the run.

Even the 0z ECM has this Iberian ridge sector building and although that is clearly in response to up-flow activity, the trend is there, and consistent within the models. So, for me, a hiatus, hopefully for only 3-5 days from D6-7 as we see the Iberian heights build and then dissipate east. Mean at T156:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot

After D10 hopefully we will get another shot at cold. Although the GFS 12z is bad for cold after D7, but is just one run.

As for the trend to dive the lows south, that is looking more likely than not. So this wintry outbreak may again be more about cold temps for most rather than snow.

N.B. What the models are showing and not necessarily what will happen. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

A0151C8D-0446-4DD8-A1DC-BCCEAA11CE54.webp 150.78 kB · 13 downloads

What do you like about the icon 🤔 looks mainly dry ?…

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Atlas, Shoreline

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I can’t see much in the way of snow showers running down in the northerly on runs this afternoon? Perhaps a few flakes here and there but not amounting to anything?  Only glimmer of hope is the GEM this afternoon 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Sea, Water

Yep, and that's my point. Initially the northerly was shown as being very convective with features running down the country. But that's been shortened and downgraded over the past few days, the flow gets cut off far too quickly now for anything to really get going.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

What do you like about the icon 🤔 looks mainly dry ?…

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Atlas, Shoreline

Nope , not for Thurs 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Chart, Plot, Map, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2