Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
18 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

This isnt the Met lmfao its met4cast who posts on our website hahaha

😆 No I mean the met office warning states that southern areas have the highest chance of snow and I've posted the wet bulb showing northern areas are closer to the wet bulb freezing level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
51 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I'm not going to be popular....but I think a lot of folk are going to see cold rain for the most part this week - and nothing close to approaching 2018. At elevation a different story but unfortunately for me the setup has gone awry. Blocking to our north is set to transition westwards very quickly and this will allow the atlantic to come in much flatter than we want. There is no block for these systems to bump and slide against, instead a cold trough pushing in from the NE but the cold trough itself isnt making sufficient inroads to get entrenched cold in place as we did at least manage to get in early December.

Why? The origins of a less wintry setup I think lie in the worry I had last week, namely that the remnants of the vortex setup too far east. This was a change to what was modelled initially and it has worked against getting artic air to flood far enough west. You can see it clearly here - setup last night shows the block in place and the deep trough over Scandy

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

and then wind forward 72h and the trough has essentially gone nowhere - stalled due to lack of momentum inspired from aloft because of the positioning of the SPV

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Chart, Plot

Heights pulling very fast towards Canada, atlantic pushing in a merging with the Scandy trough - and for me this is classic nasty cold rain conditions for the vast majority away from Scotland.

To labour the point a bit - here is the vertical profile of the vortex right now

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Blackboard

way - way out east whereas back in the days when the SSW was getting exciting this was where it was projected to be:

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors

Location and angle have changed and absolutely not to our advantage.

Note also how the MJO has panned out: we hit phase 7 in good time.....and it died. It dropped into the COD taking away the signal for northern blocking when we wanted it and is now surging dramatically once again into the West Pacific - but much too late to give support to our current pattern this week.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, CAD Diagram, Diagram

This suggests a chance for renewed blocking in the second half of the month, but I think in truth by then it is too late for any deep, sustained cold. Spring will be on its way.

Not the right time for an end of season reflection yet - things can and do change and I hope this post is left looking daft in 3 days' time as people wade through the drifts...but for me another opportunity looks set to slip by. I have seen more frost this year than in many years but for swathes of the south I think this winter is going to go down as a "so near and yet so far" kind of season. 

Re the MJO For second half…..that is when imo the main thrust will be and the thrust to be very noteworthy indeed….especially as I don’t think we’ll lose too much of the current cold

ALL to play for imo

BFTP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I'm not going to be popular....but I think a lot of folk are going to see cold rain for the most part this week - and nothing close to approaching 2018. At elevation a different story but unfortunately for me the setup has gone awry. Blocking to our north is set to transition westwards very quickly and this will allow the atlantic to come in much flatter than we want. There is no block for these systems to bump and slide against, instead a cold trough pushing in from the NE but the cold trough itself isnt making sufficient inroads to get entrenched cold in place as we did at least manage to get in early December.

Why? The origins of a less wintry setup I think lie in the worry I had last week, namely that the remnants of the vortex setup too far east. This was a change to what was modelled initially and it has worked against getting artic air to flood far enough west. You can see it clearly here - setup last night shows the block in place and the deep trough over Scandy

and then wind forward 72h and the trough has essentially gone nowhere - stalled due to lack of momentum inspired from aloft because of the positioning of the SPV

Heights pulling very fast towards Canada, atlantic pushing in a merging with the Scandy trough - and for me this is classic nasty cold rain conditions for the vast majority away from Scotland.

To labour the point a bit - here is the vertical profile of the vortex right now

way - way out east whereas back in the days when the SSW was getting exciting this was where it was projected to be:

Note also how the MJO has panned out: we hit phase 7 in good time.....and it died. It dropped into the COD taking away the signal for northern blocking when we wanted it and is now surging dramatically once again into the West Pacific - but much too late to give support to our current pattern this week.

This suggests a chance for renewed blocking in the second half of the month, but I think in truth by then it is too late for any deep, sustained cold. Spring will be on its way.

Not the right time for an end of season reflection yet - things can and do change and I hope this post is left looking daft in 3 days' time as people wade through the drifts...but for me another opportunity looks set to slip by. I have seen more frost this year than in many years but for swathes of the south I think this winter is going to go down as a "so near and yet so far" kind of season. 

Excellent post as always and thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and thinking. I guess the MO think that the risk is still present for disruptive snow this week but I agree completely, the situation is marginal for many unless you are in Scotland, the far north of England or at elevation. In my location, I’m now not expecting anything other than perhaps a snowflake if I’m lucky. The block just hasn’t been able to hold sufficiently to get the deep cold entrenched and so we end up in that messy mix of transient snow if we are lucky as Atlantic fronts try and make inroads (which often don’t make it over to me in north Norfolk).  No doubt a few surprises will crop up and I hope many will get lucky. 

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Indeed, a sizeable jump southward between the ECM 0z and 6z.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Land, Map

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Land, Map, Atlas, Shoreline, Coast

Got a feeling maybe we could hold on to the cold in the south. Maybe south coast gets the milder air in before another reload push from the north.

All interesting nonetheless. But yes, a sizeable move south in that position of the low for Thursday!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
11 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Re the MJO For second half…..that is when imo the main thrust will be and the thrust to be very noteworthy indeed….especially as I don’t think we’ll lose too much of the current cold

ALL to play for imo

BFTP

The ensemble suites have been suggesting that the main TPV will move northwards and that troughing may develop to our east. What do you make of that?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

The ensemble suites have been suggesting that the main TPV will move north (but not west) and that troughing will develop to our east. What do you make of that?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head

Yep, that’s towards my thoughts.  I still stand by that March will be a ‘very noteworthy’ month for depth of cold shots and a ‘lengthy’ cold set up.  I’m skiing in Val D’Isere from 17th….so I’ll watch from afar soon enough.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

EC 06z mean , M4 corridor looks like prime target on Wednesday , up to south midlands and down towards the south coast!! 👌❄️

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Wow that's an interesting call ... I suspect you could be right in the extreme south where cold won't be as strong, and perhaps close to the E coast, but I think for northern England inland snow is a safe bet myself, unless models change. I note the Met Office have their Thursday/Friday warning for this area on a trajectory that could reach a red warning, and I can't say I blame them looking at the models. I just don't think so many weather models are going to get the fine details wrong. I recall two years ago there was an easterly in January that the ECM kept forecasting as rain - I couldn't believe it, rain on an easterly in January?? yet of course the ECM was right. On the other hand, the ECM is currently going for a period of snow all across Northern England on Thursday (possibly turning back to rain later), the exact location of the snow tbc but wherever it is, the ECM looks rock solid it will be snow.

Still, I will follow with interest and remember your words if it's a big fail!

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

EC 06z mean , M4 corridor looks like prime target on Wednesday , up to south midlands and down towards the south coast!! 👌❄️

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

The metoffice have warning south of the m4

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

The metoffice have warning south of the m4

The latest mean ties in with the UKV , so maybe they’ll widen it. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Purple, Map, Sea, Atlas, Shoreline

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

The GEFS mean similar 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

An easier clasp of evolutions- ssts are Mass factor at most times, yet into the meteorological spring- they can/ will be beneficial with such dynamics!.. however it’s not rocket science- nor meteo- depth, to paw thought on the maritime influence west- to east. Where the Atlantic bounding formats inevitably syphon stagnant TM air, while the North Sea verses the roll of polar continental stamp!-  And the point in basic, is that both aids, n, reverts a global minuscule island/ and it’s mass differences in overhead fruition!!!       In this occasion- it’s a worthy punt MOST will see dendirte- ( snow) in some appliance!!! .. yet now without doubt, some will see memorable snowfall!!! - lastly once again a milder interlude looks game, but I can’t see it overriding a mid latitude in dripping!!!!

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Land, Map, Rainforest, Atlas, Shoreline, Coast

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Atlas, Sea, Water, Blackboard, Vegetation

1B6FC45D-AE52-465B-8FE8-2A9CF507BE5B.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

06z i think shows a fine line between cold rain and snow costal areas South, obviously the further you go in terms of elevation the higher chance of snow . This pattern in all fairness as been showing since last week where we see a milder push around the 11th Catacol pointed out earlier that most will see rain South wise, unless something miraculous happens in the next 24hrs i would tend to agree.  If its snow you desire head hill wards

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Not going to lie I don't know if it's the graphics but that looks awful. The tiniest patches of snow in the mostly rain bands on Tuesday and Wednesday then a low on Thursday showing zero sign of trough disruption. If Met Office models have it right then in the screenshot even Northern Scotland would struggle to get snow. Seriously hope that's wrong.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Head, Face, Nature, Outdoors

Luckily the UKMO was an absolute rank outlier on the models, and having looked at just about all ensembles I can think of (ECM,GFS,CMC,ARPEGE) and I think I've seen maybe 10-15 out of a cumulative 200 odd that look even remotely close to that, and the UKMO is probably maybe no.2-3 in terms of utter worst cases.

Anyways long ways to go yet still. 

As for Wednesday warning from METO, I undersand why they have only gone that far, there is still way too much uncertainty in the models on the northern extent, and indeed the entire evolution which is complex it has to be said.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The Icon 12z of tomorrow mornings precipitation in the South.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Chart, Plot, Map, Sea Waves

EDIT: Arpege

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
4 hours ago, nick sussex said:

You can see the wave and how it ripples eastwards here .

So the wave develops towards Bristol on the T24hrs chart .

IMG_0647.thumb.GIF.5c44f91752c900a519b15471f2ba8bd5.GIF

In the T36hrs chart you can see the wave towards the Low Countries .

IMG_0648.thumb.GIF.3264d28bcda9bce35109e07a724bc429.GIF

The wave slows the front and also helps to intensify the precip .

You also have a slack flow north of the front with little mixing so evaporative cooling comes into play.

In 12 hrs the front has only edged about 50 miles south.

Any similarities with this situation?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person"What about snow from that cold front?"

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head"It's a decaying feature."

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Face, Head, PersonRed warning - every dog has its day.