Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Arome just rolling out . Now this is just ridiculous. Live radar comparison.

Aprege no better . This really is a radar watching event now . Little differences could be the difference between rain and snow .

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

That's shocking

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Liam Burge said:

It's always a now-cast situation with snow for England, especially with setups like this where a shift just 20-30 miles north/south can have big consequences/rewards for IMBY.

This is true. But even just the broader picture, the differences I find surprising at this range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
11 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Aprege no better . This really is a radar watching event now . Little differences could be the difference between rain and snow .

Don't forget the times on those Meteociel charts are in French time 😄

• Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, UKSnakey said:

Have the models ever struggled at such a short time frame? This is becoming a nowcast instead of a forecast if there's no agreement by the 06 runs

The amount of tooing and froing from the short term hi res models is mind boggling - each run quite different from the one before. Doesn't breed confidence!

In fact, I wonder if this is as close as they're going to get - it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're still shifting this much at T6. Lampposts and radar it is!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 6

Posted

Arome also further south than its 12z run    Then the Alaro  which brings some places to standstill.  Ath this point both are just as likely to happen 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water         Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Freezing Dew points are chasing down the precip now 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Electronics, GPS

I wonder if some people could wake up with a surprise snow fall! Met predicting rain here with 2c.. Could I get lucky?!!?

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Hey, don’t give up on tonight!

GFS has developed a couple of small features and has snow for central southern England at T9:

06FF31C6-B250-46E0-B571-1644CE12D203.thumb.gif.e5ff8e02cf37994c360577b311d587bf.gifF05E4A9F-E8A7-4FB4-835B-A221C5DFD427.thumb.gif.23accb53c7988afeb2cbd00e6f08e0df.gif

May snow, I'd be very surprised if anything settles below 200m however, it's mot that cold really and the ground is now pretty wet. Marginal snow probably isn't going to be enough outside maybe localised heavier bursts to do the job imo.

It's a reservation I also have for anything coming in during the day as per icon and to a lesser extent Arpege on Wednesday. Its likely coming in during late daylight hours and have rain preceding it until the heavier stuff arrives. Will be terrible conversion ratios and the models will overdo depth in such a situation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Freezing Dew points are chasing down the precip now 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Electronics, GPS

Been radar watching a bit this eve… more sleet/snow is showing over higher ground in Mid Wales, and that’s a big chunk of precip off West Wales.. it’s mostly rain over the sea, but it’s mainly sleet/snow what’s falling behind it in Ireland too..I think someone in mid/south wales, and possibly further east and south of that could have a surprise in the morning, especially over higher ground. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Whilst I never wish systems were different out loud, as it is what it is, think I must be in a very small minority that silently has been wishing everything South. Why, because this knife edge situation which is reliant on dragging cold West into the very slow moving systems as they then turn East would be dragging colder conditions from what was an almost perfect set up.

As suggested a lot of radar & window watching this week as the E to W interaction of cold air into Atlantic sysyems is an absolute rarity.

The system that shows up out West this Thursday & takes a pit stop W of Iceland to fill up on Arctic air could prove interesting and keep us in the game mid month

qmhOdx0LQB.gif

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looking a little further ahead for the breakdown and thaw, and here it is

30+ Celcius with a thundery plume nailed on

I'll fetch me coat 🌩️🤪

Could contain: Plant, Vegetation, Chart, Plot, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Face, Head

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
37 minutes ago, A.J said:

Looking a little further ahead for the breakdown and thaw, and here it is

30+ Celcius with a thundery plume nailed on

I'll fetch me coat 🌩️🤪

Could contain: Plant, Vegetation, Chart, Plot, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Face, Head

👆...has as much a chance or verification as present precipitation (cold snowy type) model forecast in the next few days - lovely tho it is 😄

Having been a patient observer over many years learning (in most cases not) weather modeling going toward 48hrs it never ceases to amaze that surprises IMBW ALLWAYS happen - Be that disappointment or fulfilment of hope 😇

Come summer thunderstorm chasing we'll be just as enthusiastic.

Love Netweather.tv, enthusiasm and entertainment through the very subject that makes our country unique - mostly unpredictable weather experienced on a small Island, the far right hand side of the Atlantic 🇬🇧

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Again moving beyond this week, due to nowcasting variability, the animation above shows just how little mobility there is in the system & luckily we still do have a lot of very cold air to our North so wanted to point out the system peaking my interest beyond this week.

Here it is this Thursday, note how many days it takes to cross the Atlantic [7] via an Arctic top up. It does finally phase with an Atlantic system 10 days later, which transfers the cold our way again. Does feel all v slow mo

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Art

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Hurricane, Storm, Art

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Art

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Art, Hurricane, Storm

Edited by geordiekev
A good week to be visiting Scotland, not skiing though 😉
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS 0z pushes the mild air all the way up to Scotland into Friday.

Arpege 0z has it further south with snow throughout for the Midlands northwards.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Nationwide snow on GEM this weekend (Apart from Cornwall)

In the meantime perhaps a high ground dusting for some today. Wednesday im just in the zone looks promising still.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation, Baby, Person

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Nationwide snow on GEM this weekend (Apart from Cornwall)

In the meantime perhaps a high ground dusting for some today. Wednesday im just in the zone looks promising still.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation, Baby, Person

Fantastic news buddy... Yes, here in herne bay I'm keeping fingers crossed too... Haven't seen a flake yet to speak of... 😳 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Thursday is interesting N of Birmingham on the UKMO...looks to match the Metoffice warning area 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Plant, Vegetation, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Temperatures around freezing in the same area

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea

• Like 6

Posted
35 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Thursday is interesting N of Birmingham on the UKMO...looks to match the Metoffice warning area 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Plant, Vegetation, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea

CC

Can you see what BFTP is suggesting? 

With all due respect to BFTP, all it is, is rhetoric  to me, its like a politician promising the land of milk and honey without anything to show how it will happen.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Could it be the first time I've ever seen lying Snow in Crewe 🤣

Posted
26 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

CC

Can you see what BFTP is suggesting? 

With all due respect to BFTP, all it is, is rhetoric  to me, its like a politician promising the land of milk and honey without anything to show how it will happen.

He thinks its going to be historic this snow this week? Like people climbing out of upstairs windows onto the snow and trains buried like in March 1891? 🤣

Thats what I call historic, nothing like that is going to happen this week, just a normal snowfall for March  only place they may be digging themselves out is at the cairngorm restaurant at 3600 ft , not sea-level 🤣

• Like 5