Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
17 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Think the BBC is right on this occasion the snow has been further north than expected much of the day... we've been under persistant sleet/snow since 10am..

For sure mate .. I was trying to get my head around the northern extent of what the precip has achieved. The 18z Fax has the northern limit of the warm front approx. Liverpool, compared to the dop radar , precip has pumped well into Scotland

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
Just now, StingJet said:

For sure mate .. I was trying to get my head around the northern extent of what the precip has achieved. The 18z Fax has the northern limit of the warm front approx. Liverpool, compared to the dop radar , precip has pumped well into Scotland

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Yes looks a lot further North looking at radar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
10 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

So I can post snow pictures going forward from Scotland and they won’t be deleted,,,,mmmm we will see 🤣🤣

There's an entire other thread. 

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/98486-model-output-discussion-models-models-and-more-models-inc-highlights/?do=getNewComment

Just let peeps enjoy this thread. The other thread is more traditonal model discussion.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
8 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

It’s an interesting picture where it’s at… precip showing sleet/snow a long way north, but also a long way south west too.. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Therefore what goes up must come back down , or in other words the precip that has made its way well up north will stall and start to head south again through the course of the night , as the LP across the south of England transitions east towards the north sea , and pulls in a northerly across the uk on its western flank 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Any advice on likelihood of being unable to drive from Oxford to Buxton tomorrow due to snow? And if the roads are passable, which ones are best to aim for? Asking for a stressed friend....

Posted
23 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Any advice on likelihood of being unable to drive from Oxford to Buxton tomorrow due to snow? And if the roads are passable, which ones are best to aim for? Asking for a stressed friend....

Hello Woollymummy .. a tough question that is , a lot depends on what happens overnight in terms of further snowfall for Derbyshire. I know Buxton well, but @Polar Maritime is quite local to the area and  hopefully can offer up some thoughts on the dilemma,  Thus far today PM has reported a lot of snow for his locale ,and more to come tonight 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
29 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Don't touch the A53 under any circumstances.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yep I would agree with both Halfamilefromnowhere and Feb ...  Commuting back north weekly from Hemel Hempstead to either Stockport or Anglesey . I think I have covered pretty much all routes from the M1 to the west for the avoidance of M6 closures..  M1 > Chesterfield > Buxton is a probably one of the best options,  or the alternative   via Matlock > Bakewell (A6), closest route to Polar Maritime's location.
M1 (J23a/24)  A50 towards Stoke then North via Ashbourne A515 or Leek A53 (Feb1991's comment)  cover some high altitude moors (relatively speaking) and can be tricky. 

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Thankyou all, annoying thing is it is for a gig which may eventually be cancelled after all if no one can make it 😞 so going to be a financially annoying day as well as hazardous....
All the best to you folks out on the roads over the next few days, hope it is manageable and safe

Edited by Woollymummy
  • Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Thankyou all, annoying thing is it is for a gig which may eventually be cancelled after all if no one can make it 😞 so going to financially annoying day as well as hazardous....
All the best to you folks out on the roads over the next few days, hope it is manageable and safe

A gig in Buxton 🙂 
Take care .. assess the situation in the morning and run with best advice from the motoring agencies RAC / AA on travel and of course the MetO warnings etc 
Edit: And Colin's link below .. good shout Colin !
If its bad overnight ...  heavy snow and strong to gale northerlies , snow drifting could be an issue over the high peaks routes ...  Buxton could be cut off ...  the Cat and Fiddle road from Macclesfield to Buxton (named after the pub on the route - A537)  usually gets closed when its bad for snow / ice  

hmm..

Could contain: Text, Symbol
Could contain: Text
Could contain: Text

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.

A lot of the Peak District roads / passes are closed due to snow, have a look here... (link below)

APPS.DERBYSHIRE.GOV.UK

Find out if your road is on a gritting route and when it was last gritted.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
37 minutes ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Cut across to M1 then up before coming off Chesterfield or Matlock depending on conditions.  Minus 15.9C up here and around 22cm snow since Monday so should be tad milder down there

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Tree, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Fire Hydrant, Weather

Sunday/Monday are going to be very fun for you! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS not far off an Easterly???

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Colin_P said:

A lot of the Peak District roads / passes are closed due to snow, have a look here... (link below)

APPS.DERBYSHIRE.GOV.UK

Find out if your road is on a gritting route and when it was last gritted.

Not many options left on the table Colin , and it may well be a whole lot worse tomorrow morning 
Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lovely day for the hot tub

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Do not attempt to travel to the Peak District tomorrow it will be impossible to get anywhere once here over 250m ish, over a foot here already, and drifting heavy snow is to continue overnight.

Localy here this is life threatening weather.. if standed out in it..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 4

Posted
2 hours ago, StingJet said:

Therefore what goes up must come back down , or in other words the precip that has made its way well up north will stall and start to head south again through the course of the night , as the LP across the south of England transitions east towards the north sea , and pulls in a northerly across the uk on its western flank 

So, it should still affect North Wales then during the course of the night/early hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Don said:

So, it should still affect North Wales then during the course of the night/early hours?

You’re in a good position for later Don. I can see Shropshire getting 5-10cm in places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

You’re in a good position for later Don. I can see Shropshire getting 5-10cm in places.

Yes, I'm fairly close to the amber warning too.  I woke up to around 10cm this morning and although there was a thaw this afternoon, a fair amount of snow remains.  Would be great to get a nice top up later and hopefully you will see a decent fall too!  After missing out during the December cold spell, it's good to see! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
19 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Do not attempt to travel to the Peak District tomorrow it will be impossible to get anywhere once here over 250m ish, over a foot here already, and drifting heavy snow is to continue overnight.

Localy here this is life threatening weather.. if standed out in it..

Hi @Polar Maritime

Thanks for the heads up here. I don't post much, but I do read a lot.

I am down south at the moment, with my house above Froghall in the Staffordshire Moorlands (at 270m on a 380m ridge). I'm assuming you are including that area in this warning as well? its about 3 miles south of the Peak District.

• Like 1