Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

4 months of model watching, and right in the middle of the Amber zone and this is what I’ve got! You couldn’t make it up. Not convinced we’ll get much more tonight  either.

Could contain: Car, Person, Outdoors, Road, City, Suburb, Weather, Neighborhood, Intersection, Housing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

4 months of model watching, and right in the middle of the Amber zone and this is what I’ve got! You couldn’t make it up. Not convinced we’ll get much more tonight  either.

Could contain: Car, Person, Outdoors, Road, City, Suburb, Weather, Neighborhood, Intersection, Housing

Wow 😮 

yeah bone dry and cold were I am. Not even rain or sleet which I am happy about. Rather it miss me altogether than the dreaded “wintry mix”

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

There are amber warnings for drizzle these days😵

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

I’ve seen bigger coverings of salt on the road 😳

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As the Low is now passing over wind will turn Northerly bringing a better chance of snow for them that have missed out, especially over the Midlands, those in the Amber will see heavy snow and blizzards throughout the night. 

We are only half an hour into the Amber warning...

Moderate Heavy snow all day here, a lull as the centre of the Low is now passing over with just snizzle currently, But conditions will start to rapidly deterioate over the next few hours..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 9

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Ditto for most of Northern Ireland. I should be 5 hours into an 18 hour snow fest at over 400 feet. Just rain with a hint of sleet.

Shocking forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Updated_Weather said:

What do we think are the chances of a warning for E/A for tomorrow - for the potential for snow as the cold undercuts the low whilst it pivots and exits?

That’s what i’m hoping for in Norwich.!!

Posted

Had a good fall in the Black Country this morning. Bit of a thaw going on now as expected.  Hope some of you who have missed out get some joy tonight/ tomorrow morning

Will be interesting to see when the colder air digs back south 

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Fir, Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Winter, Car, Vehicle, Snow

Posted
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Ditto for most of Northern Ireland. I should be 5 hours into an 18 hour snow fest at over 400 feet. Just rain with a hint of sleet.

Shocking forecast.

Northern Ireland is now in the amber zone 😯

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
42 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Wow. That is incredible

No disrespect to you at all, Paul, but I hope it stays that way. Travelling to Sheffield on Friday and staying the weekend so I could really do without my travel and the football being disrupted/postponed

However, it's early on in the warning time zone so I'm sure it'll snow for you soon. Probably after dark. But please don't let it effect my afternoon train and 4pm arrival in the city tomorrow

Would be interesting to hear updates from you - but obviously don't feel obliged to do that! 🙂 I'm out for much of this evening anyway

Edited by LRD
Typo
  • Like 3

Posted

Just look at those temps.  15C in the sun on Sunday. Even teens further north where the amber alert snows are falling.  This could be a rapid thaw and then flood come Sunday night in those areas. Then a huge ice rink by Tuesday with a huge potential gale blowing along the channel in between times. 

so who here likes weather ?? 😃

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Suit, Head, Face, Outdoors, Nature, Crowd

Edited by DAVE_ALLEN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Just look at those temps.  15C in the sun on Sunday. Even teens further north where the amber alert snows are falling.  This could be a rapid thaw and then flood come Sunday night in those areas. Then a huge ice rink by Tuesday with a huge potential gale blowong Uk the channel in between times. 

so who here likes weather ?? 😃

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Suit, Head, Face, Outdoors, Nature, Crowd

I didn't want this cold this time round but, yeah, it is at least interesting. Feb 2023 was one of the most boring months I can ever remember. At least stuff is happening now even though I don't want some of it to happen

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

I didn't want this cold this time round but, yeah, it is at least interesting. Feb 2023 was one of the most boring months I can ever remember. At least stuff is happening now even though I don't want some of it to happen

Well after a month or more of relentless rain in December and early January, and then six weeks of dry mundane weather, perhaps we are in for four more weeks off cold and wet/stormy weather. Should help to avert a drought for at least a month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

ah well theres always the UKMO @120 👍

more to play for yet

UW120-21 (4).gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
55 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

These met office warnings are becoming farcial..if you look on the BBC text where they update em..theres no mention of High ground or anything..Even the warning for Saturday which includes my area does not mention at what Height! And my area is not even mentioned on there Web site! 

I think us lot on here could do a better job with issuing warnings tbh.

@EML Network yes mate I think a repeat of this week is possible towards mid next week again! 

Edited by MATTWOLVES 3
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Can you drive up any elevation to see if it’s snowing higher up ?

I live at nearly 500 feet, the next highest point is way down in The Mournes and I ain't driving there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Still looking for a last hoorah with the exiting low tomorrow morning through EA. There is `some` hope.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I live at nearly 500 feet, the next highest point is way down in The Mournes and I ain't driving there!

Are you downwind of the sea ?  

Posted
10 minutes ago, EML Network said:

ah well theres always the UKMO @120 👍

more to play for yet

UW120-21 (4).gif

Oooooh wonderful. Slush-Fest Part II - The Revenge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

My response is in relation to the met office issuing warnings on the BBC that are different than those stated on there own Web site. For folks with no Internet access they will look at those warnings and assume there's a lot of snow on the way! Surely they can be more thorough with the areas and the altitude on there!

The met office doesn't issue the BBC warnings, meteo group does. A different company.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

The met office doesn't issue the BBC warnings, metro group does. A different company.

Absolutely, And a shame to since the contract ended.

• Like 2