Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Sheep are in here, what a job.. Many local farmers have been panicking given the updated warnings earlier The stress doesn't do them good when in lamb. But it's for the best..

These are the consequences of abnormal weather at the wrong time, feel for the sheep farmers  and what could happen in the worst case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Absolutely appalling here in Cheshire. Been snowing for 5 hours and it's still not even sticking. Anyone know what's going on? 

Ground temperature is too warm, perhaps. Is the snow heavy there? 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I’m pretty sure some of this is down to the chart providers rather than the models - I’m sure some charts showing ‘snow depth’ are actually cumulative snow from time zero.  The ones on Meteociel make it quite clear which it is (in French), but I’m not sure about some of the others.

I think we got what most were expecting today - a welcome snow event after a snowless winter, with the obvious issues re settling given it is now March.  Despite what some say, I don’t get the impression many on here (in the south anyway) were expecting ice days and powder snow!  I’ll be interested to see what happens further north tomorrow, where the cold has had a few days in place already.  

Fair point. I did point out 3 times yesterday when total precip charts were posted as snow depths.   Below is yesterdays 12z ECM snow depth for tomorrow morning. Many areas shown to have 5-15cm will have almost nothing and areas in the far south shown to have 3-5cm will definitely have 0. Just worth bearing in mind for those on lower ground further north tomorrow 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, simshady said:

Why on snow charts does there always seem to be a snowless Manchester?

because Manchester is usually snowless! - its called the Manchester rain shadow but it doesn't seem to work with rain, it always works with snow - that is one aspect of PPN charts that is usually modelled well.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Fair point. I did point out 3 times yesterday when total precip charts were posted as snow depths.   Below is yesterdays 12z ECM snow depth for tomorrow morning. Many areas shown to have 5-15cm will have almost nothing and areas in the far south shown to have 3-5cm will definitely have 0. Just worth bearing in mind for those on lower ground further north tomorrow 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

Yes that M4 corridor promise didn't matérialise, although saying that I did better last night than expected, so swings and roundabouts.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

What's this chart on, no chance of any snow down here over night and tomorrow, even though a cold front is about to come through from today's low. Tomorrow's low is coming in to far north 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
14 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Absolutely appalling here in Cheshire. Been snowing for 5 hours and it's still not even sticking. Anyone know what's going on? 

At least you got snow falling. Had a little slight snizzle here in S Manchester and expecting more of the same tomorrow. Snow desert.

Posted

I’m Just wondering if on Friday those in the midlands and south of there will actually see their best covering of snow - looks like a few hours of potential 

4DBF5BD9-A360-49E2-A454-12EF52CCE67D.gif

D2FFFC84-F739-4FCC-A4FF-F76A56E8F6D5.gif

10FFA1FA-B273-47B8-B8F9-7A9FCCA0C941.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I’m Just wondering if on Friday those in the midlands and south of there will actually see their best covering of snow - looks like a few hours of potential 

Keep dreaming. Too mild to the South and West. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

What's this chart on, no chance of any snow down here over night and tomorrow, even though a cold front is about to come through from today's low. Tomorrow's low is coming in to far north 

Been watching it and it’s definitely way north 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Fergie showed the map for Friday and said it’s one to watch as we get a glancing blow of possible snow as it pulls away east 👍 I did well here south of you Ali today and I drove around pm but ran out of the snow up on the common above Nailsworth. I was going to venture up your way but would have run out of time & light. Did you get much today Ali? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
2 minutes ago, RhHh said:

Keep dreaming. Too mild to the South and West. 

There’s every chance we will get more snow here Friday am, from the cold surging back around from the departing low pressure. Really enjoying this spell here I must admit. 

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, saintkip said:

5 cm in Basingstoke, I’d say that’s a pretty good effort for March, hasn’t  melted either even thought it’s been raining all afternoon/evening 

1cm to 1inch in places here. All gone now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Heaviest snow of the day had 30 minutes of persistent snow , suddenly covered all the side roads and paths 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer
46 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Had about 8hrs of non settling snow in North Wales. I bet some locations near have had longer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Moderate snow falling again , all roads now white , no great depths but nice to see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

3cm or 4cm of settled snow. Won't be using my hot tub for a while

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Snow, Winter, Person

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 7

Posted

The count down is well and turley on to tomorrow’s feature arriving, will it won’t it snow 🤞

For my location just outside Belfast it’s knife edge based on current modelling

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Plant, Storm

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Weegaz said:

The count down is well and turley on to tomorrow’s feature arriving, will it won’t it snow 🤞

For my location just outside Belfast it’s knife edge based on current modelling

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Plant, Storm

It’s currently way north than forecasts I think you will be grand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2