Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
19 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Yep we can ‘trust’ that.  Cold is here and digging in.  Lots more to come….coldest UK March night in 13 years last night…who’d have thought?

BFTP

2c isn’t mild

BFTP

All subjective. Crap in our little corner however you try to dress it up. 

• Like 3

Posted

Started with wet snow about midday here, occasionally switching between rain/snow(heavy at times) up until the sun went down, at which point it started snowing properly and has managed to settle a bit on the wet ground since the temp/dew point has dropped just below freezing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Yep we can ‘trust’ that.  Cold is here and digging in.  Lots more to come….coldest UK March night in 13 years last night…who’d have thought?

BFTP

2c isn’t mild

BFTP

Coldest march day since The Mini Beast 1.2c max..

Tomorrow is a bit of a strange one ok mild blip comes in but surface temps are cold..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Green, Diagram, Plan, Map, Baby, Person, Atlas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Coldest march day since The Mini Beast 1.2c max..

Tomorrow is a bit of a strange one ok mild blip comes in but surface temps are cold..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Green, Diagram, Plan, Map, Baby, Person, Atlas

Freezing rain risk north?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Just flicked through the UKV for the next 48hrs. If there is an amber warning in this spine area tomorrow with precipitation rate.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

It shows this rate for EA on Friday as it clears. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water9am

Edit:

Like a battleground affair.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 2

Posted

Wasn’t it always going to be a marginal event at best for the South? 

It’s snowing moderately here in Leicester and pretty much all of the Midlands has had a decent covering, It seems the mild sector hasn’t reached here (yet) 

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Freezing rain risk north?

On the higher hills I would think..

Click on nottingham Wattnal it shows snow all day heavy..

I think there will be plenty of hill fog here..

How long will it snow tomorrow the big question..drifting will continue all night..

WWW.XCWEATHER.CO.UK

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Im 50m asl and forecast 10cm +. Im not high ground. For Yorkshire this is a very decent snowfall upcoming. The warning doesnt just cover high ground.

Absolutely. What is forecast for this region, in spite of our good location for snow in general, isn't exactly the norm for early/mid March lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

👋 from a snowy North east Wales.  No charts, no pics. Sorry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Im 50m asl and forecast 10cm +. Im not high ground. For Yorkshire this is a very decent snowfall upcoming. The warning doesnt just cover high ground.

For us too over the water . It could be the most snow since 2010 in fact. I certainly don't live on high ground either(80m asl) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.
1 hour ago, Martz86 said:

Started with wet snow about midday here, occasionally switching between rain/snow(heavy at times) up until the sun went down, at which point it started snowing properly and has managed to settle a bit on the wet ground since the temp/dew point has dropped just below freezing. 

Same here in Huntingdon :).

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of southern and central areas were forecast a decent snow depth today / tonight,  but measurable snow was limited / isolated. Models didn’t handle it well at all. Luton for example was forecast to have between 5 & 10cm right now depending on which model you looked at… it actually has 1cm .   Hope tomorrow is better for northern members 🤞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

5 cm in Basingstoke, I’d say that’s a pretty good effort for March, hasn’t  melted either even thought it’s been raining all afternoon/evening 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Scott Ingham said:

But it's still a very limited area and rather short lived if so at that alt, Given the colder air retaining at higher alt. We shall see. 

Still snowing here and temp dropping with full snow cover.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

That’s the ECM output and most outputs are similar. This isn’t a remarkable cold spell, even today was too marginal for snow to settle in central areas. Tomorrow is forecast up to 10c in central London and widely 8c+ in the south. Yes there will be deep snow for a while on high ground eg Peak District but nothing that unusual for late winter / early spring.  Time will tell but I’m not seeing anything special cold wise 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’d be interested to know in a weeks time what your mid day snow depths were and daily max temp was for your area ..On paper do you think it will be memorable / historic ? 

30-40cm is unusual and quite notable for March here in Peak District 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

30-40cm is unusual and quite notable for March here in Peak District 

Agree it is in the Peak District.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Lots of southern and central areas were forecast a decent snow depth today / tonight,  but measurable snow was limited / isolated. Models didn’t handle it well at all. Luton for example was forecast to have between 5 & 10cm right now depending on which model you looked at… it actually has 1cm .   Hope tomorrow is better for northern members 🤞

I’m pretty sure some of this is down to the chart providers rather than the models - I’m sure some charts showing ‘snow depth’ are actually cumulative snow from time zero.  The ones on Meteociel make it quite clear which it is (in French), but I’m not sure about some of the others.

I think we got what most were expecting today - a welcome snow event after a snowless winter, with the obvious issues re settling given it is now March.  Despite what some say, I don’t get the impression many on here (in the south anyway) were expecting ice days and powder snow!  I’ll be interested to see what happens further north tomorrow, where the cold has had a few days in place already.  

• Like 8

Posted

18z ICON first off the blocks tonight, slightly further South with better snow depth for the East Midlands

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Decent covering in Silchester, just to the NW of Basingstoke.  At least 5cm ...when out walking the dog mid morning.

Could contain: Animal, Canine, Dog, Labrador Retriever, Mammal, Pet, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Dog, Pet, Ice, Winter, Hiking, Weather, Snow, Blizzard

Shame that it's now pouring with rain!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, ChezWeather said:

18z ICON first off the blocks tonight, slightly further South with better snow depth for the East Midlands

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet

No prizes for guessing what snow depth it gives me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No prizes for guessing what snow depth it gives me.

Why on snow charts does there always seem to be a snowless Manchester?