Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Don said:

Yes, I'm fairly close to the amber warning too.  I woke up to around 10cm this morning and although there was a thaw this afternoon, a fair amount of snow remains.  Would be great to get a nice top up later and hopefully you will see a decent fall too!  After missing out during the December cold spell, it's good to see! 

Between 3-8am is the last chance so see a covering here 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Between 3-8am is the last chance so see a covering here 

Going to be mild next week

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, I'm fairly close to the amber warning too.  I woke up to around 10cm this morning and although there was a thaw this afternoon, a fair amount of snow remains.  Would be great to get a nice top up later and hopefully you will see a decent fall too!  After missing out during the December cold spell, it's good to see! 

Lucky buga!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cumbrian ice said:

We're doing OK for snow in Cumbria for once 👍

Yes we've been a prime spot for precipitation, just a shame away from high ground it has resulted in very little cover... it could have been a much more memorable event, still the overnight period to go, but what could have been a foot of snow will probably end up a couple cms at best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

That's not necessarily true. Looks like a rinse and repeat around midweek. The broader scale picture suggests cold air is never far away from the North,and we could continue to see Southward pushes at times..Theres a chance we could still be forcing Low pressure systems to the South of us..and on that boundary will be the risk of snow also.

Could contain: Chart, Animal, Fish, Sea Life, Shark, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Plot

That is good to hear, don't fancy 10c and rain that is the default UK weather, and frankly boring as hell.👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

That is good to hear, don't fancy 10c and rain that is the default UK weather, and frankly boring as hell.👍

It is standard weather form for this time of year. Nothing boring about a few days of wet and mild in spring,   At least we're not stuck in a terrible wet and miserable pattern that isn't moving. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

Just walked up lane, 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, WinterCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Winter, Ice, Snow, Blizzard, StormCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Winter

Oh wow! Ive got no chance then. Typical we get a nice amount when I'm not there to see it! thanks for the photos.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters

Model question... please...

Background...I'm in the Isle of Man and since 6pm (after the radar saying it was snow/sleet all day when actually it was rain) we are now getting pasted, started as wet snow but its been sticking for hours now. We have an Amber warning in place until 8am. Power has been out in two locations, buses can't serve some areas, roads closed.

when is the pivot of the system likely to happen and what happens if the cold northerly flow interacts with the precipitation? In a nutshell, when is it going to get worse or will it stay the same?

Thanks!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Frost, Snow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

The Milder air reached its northern extent and retreated , its sticking in blackburn now and most of NW judging by my taxi ride home ... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Life threatening conditions here, if out stranded, many cars stuck and will be overnight  Main roads like A515 impassable never mind the local lanes where I live which are completely blocked by drifting snow and near zero visibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.
Just now, Polar Maritime said:

Life threatening conditions here, if out stranded, many cars stuck and will be overnight  Main roads like A515 impassable never mind the local lanes where I live which are completely blocked by drifting snow and near zero visibility.

It is coming down quite hard here near Chesterfield, must be mayhem up in the proper hills!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Colin_P said:

It is coming down quite hard here near Chesterfield, must be mayhem up in the proper hills!

It really is.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

I'll try texting my neighbour tomorrow, see if they can send me some pics too.

Posted
4 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

have u got any pics ? sounds good up your way 

Look at my profile, it's good but not for those that know better..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Look at my profile, it's good but not for those that know better..

Omg just checked Your profile and Scottish skier has won more most liked days . Surely this is a mistake 😉. Enjoy the snow but also sounds like you have a job on your hands once this clears up for you . All the best Mark.

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks bad up in the Yorkshire Dales too (10mins ago):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We’re still getting a wintry mix at the moment in South Derbyshire so not quite the blizzards up the Peak District. Did really well Wed night - Thu lunchtime however and the afternoon/evening rain didn’t wash it away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
1 hour ago, RabbitEars said:

Model question... please...

Background...I'm in the Isle of Man and since 6pm (after the radar saying it was snow/sleet all day when actually it was rain) we are now getting pasted, started as wet snow but its been sticking for hours now. We have an Amber warning in place until 8am. Power has been out in two locations, buses can't serve some areas, roads closed.

when is the pivot of the system likely to happen and what happens if the cold northerly flow interacts with the precipitation? In a nutshell, when is it going to get worse or will it stay the same?

Thanks!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Frost, Snow

120am. Snow much larger flakes now. Everywhere white. Good depth. Have had to bring in rabbits as enclosure is in danger of collapsing under the weight of ice and then snow.

Scrap the previous question... as it's already pivoting... the snow fall is answering the question. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Snow, Winter

Edited by RabbitEars
To scrap the need for an answer! Although I would like to learn from this experience!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
44 minutes ago, chillyblast said:

Looks bad up in the Yorkshire Dales too (10mins ago):

Jesus Christ that looks absolutely savage! Some pretty fierce winds accompanying that lot too!!