Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Snow has already turned to rain here at my location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
20 minutes ago, minus10 said:

You'd think from here there would be some kind of easterly..

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot

..but no...the gfs 12z doesnt make it..

we end up with this at t300

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Art

...after cold dip gfs seems all over the place from run to run at present...to be expected i suppose..however still signal for trough disruption and heights blocking in all these variations...

Yeah GFS been flipping between Greeny & Scandy heights towards back end. Defo seen worse, period around the 20th I guess is the crunch point 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Person

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yeah, think I'm only forecast about 2hrs worth just East of N Pennines, before the rain follows then ice threat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
16 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

this front is early, was supposed to be around 10ish (there is the model lag). you do have heavier precip coming so see if you pick up again.

This hasn`t been modelled by the op`s very well, went against the jet stream. Anyway I have something imminent here, will report. DP is -2.4.

I do use the NW radar btw!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Stuie

Posted
11 minutes ago, Stuie said:

this front is early, was supposed to be around 10ish (there is the model lag). you do have heavier precip coming so see if you pick up again.

This hasn`t been modelled by the op`s very well, went against the jet stream. Anyway I have something imminent here, will report. DP is -2.4.

Back to snow now! As you say heavier precipitation on the way.

Edit- Moderate snow now ☺️

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

You can see where Tuesdays headache comes from.

Could contain: Green, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, minus10 said:

You'd think from here there would be some kind of easterly..

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot

..but no...the gfs 12z doesnt make it..

we end up with this at t300

...after cold dip gfs seems all over the place from run to run at present...to be expected i suppose..however still signal for trough disruption and heights blocking in all these variations...

More dry high pressure. We'll at least it's at 300, while a long time before then still seems to be up in the air at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Stuie said:

No snow/sleet/graupel/rain - have to wait for the next showers. 

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer Cambs Uni data.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

Briefly milder for all with a southwesterly flow during Sunday and Monday as low pressures tracks across the north, before winds turn northwesterly bringing some properly cold air south again. 

475CD803-D398-45C0-A0B5-B0B3733506FE.thumb.gif.8e5656da86321ec0531c6bf7edb57ef8.gif  18DB19FA-0194-41DB-BCE0-78BA0B31D8FB.thumb.gif.9118a185a6a09975d18ce3952d467b0b.gif

12z GFS operational run through to Tuesday night offers further falling snow for more or less all of the UK and Ireland and fresh coverings for many. 

9DD88FB0-4509-4F5A-8B36-B07EEF6AB85D.thumb.gif.07c6a9f306120898f58948e211bcdb69.gif 9154872D-693D-4760-8978-74EA27BB5A1A.thumb.gif.a56f4f0bbe60f7e1bc2b355f33bba298.gif Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Shelter, Sky, Sea, Rock, Landscape, Slope, Beach

Interleaved with milder interludes, our wintry March continues - look out Cornwall ! 

Kind of think the SW flow will be flatter after today. The flow was almost predicted as a ridge over the UK but the Iberian HP looks a little suppressed.  

6z`s may confirm.

Edit: If this real time data from NCEP is correct, look at the flow off the Iberian HP.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Blackboard, Green

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

FAX charts have been a little `iffy` recently so take these with a pinch. Chasing an event South of North Wales on Tuesday looks like wasted energy from todays run.

Note the 528 DAM

Monday                                                      Tuesday

fax48.thumb.gif.547ed538731aa6a83bfa097e4c89556e.gif    fax60.thumb.gif.33d6391d8734e8fb4d97cbe363f82eb1.gif

The front from the North isn`t a cold front, it`s occluded also.

The 2nd FAX is ahead of the precipitation but even then the 528 DAM only gets to N Wales/Midlands.

The LP`s are pretty nailed on still to come in, it just doesn`t look cold enough for an `event`.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Face, Head, Person, Nature

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Stuie said:

Kind of think the SW flow will be flatter after today. The flow was almost predicted as a ridge over the UK but the Iberian HP looks a little suppressed.  

6z`s may confirm.

Edit: If this real time data from NCEP is correct, look at the flow off the Iberian HP.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Blackboard, Green

12z ECM has 2M highs for tomorrow less than the predicted 12Degs in England at lunch. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Atlas, Diagram, Map, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Tomorrows 2M temps with both the GEFS and the ECM ensembles. Hitting 12 degs looks off the cards.

graphe_ens4.thumb.gif.bb51367677c4f914ce544e70a5762b6d.gifgraphe_ens3_04.thumb.gif.3eb36f6887dd5e4c045cf5f4e6ca4251.gif

If Mondays temps are diluted tomorrow then maybe Tuesday has some legs. (big ish)

EDIT: Jet could favour the East coast if temps calm down. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

Who gives a DAM

graphe_ens3_04.thumb.gif.4f1eceb4a6efc3c5beaefdaca531844b.gif

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 10/03/2023 at 10:09, SussexSnowman said:

Loving the pictures. Whilst it might not be winter, it’s safe to assume that everyone over the last few months has had a dose of snow 👍🏻

Who doesn’t love dog related snow videos. Here’s mine from December when we got the white stuff. My Westie just loves it! She may be getting on in years and hampered by arthritis, she’s still young at heart and I hope she has more snow days left.

Yeah, even we had a light covering of snow during a Sunday evening in mid December and the streets were covered in ice for several days. 

The snow has been poor in my location, but I will remember winter 2022/23 for being cold dry and sunny at times, with a few weeks of mild damp weather thrown in. The cold has been more frequent this time round.

The december spell was definitely the coldest for many years. I think it was the coldest December overall since 2010, and the only other Decembers to match in terms of cold days were probably 2017(first half) and 2020(second half and Christmas period).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Stuie said:

12z ECM has 2M highs for tomorrow less than the predicted 12Degs in England at lunch. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Atlas, Diagram, Map, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest

Thought it might be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

18z pub run reminding us that cold can still be a player later this month..(JFF)...

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Accessorieso

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Face, Head, Person, Outdoors

...bit of a northerly there...all change of course next run..

• Like 8

Posted
45 minutes ago, minus10 said:

18z pub run reminding us that cold can still be a player later this month..(JFF)...

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Accessorieso

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Face, Head, Person, Outdoors

...bit of a northerly there...all change of course next run..

Not much stopping an almost cross polar flow, although we know it's eye candy for now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

There is no change from two days ago, cold slack zonal for the next eight days or so, and no strong narrative from then. The GEFS highlight this:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

The GFS op, supported by the control, as it does, follows the colder cluster. The op and control look reasonable in synoptic, that slack flow, allowing wedges of heights to a higher latitude, so a quasi-blocking pattern post-D8 is an option. The GEM op has moved to this take:

animonm9.gif

Wedges, if just wedges, could mean something or nothing for the UK. But I remain unconvinced the upcoming NH pattern is SSW related; if it is, then it is a rather tame affair. ECM D9:

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Accessories, Outdoors

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GEFS building a solid (not spectacular- yet) ridge - Atlantic / S Greenland, can't take it seriously yet as EPS not interested / much less aggressive - chalk and cheese.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS building a solid (not spectacular- yet) ridge - Atlantic / S Greenland, can't take it seriously yet as EPS not interested / much less aggressive - chalk and cheese.

Yes you beat me to it Feb

06z vs 00z at day ten...

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, PlotCould contain: Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Pattern, Accessories

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Art, Graphics, Face, Head, Person, OutdoorsCould contain: Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Accessories, Pattern, Nature, Modern Art

and there is quite a cluster below the -5 line,...let's see how we progress with this and as you say,...the EPS need to be of the same page.

Could contain: Chartforecast_3_nh.thumb.gif.c66c54572f117f05c09ff2b5efae92a6.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
Added chart
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Here's what we're looking for this time of year, troughs imbedded in an Arctic airmass.

Could contain: Chart, Plot

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

There is another cold plunge into the middle of next week, GFS has cold air in place T66:

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Person, Pattern, Accessories, Outdoors

Snow chances.  Well the ARPEGE ensembles have this for the probability of snow for the next few days:

animmbg4.gif

Some chances there for Scotland and the north, but very little for the midlands south.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1