Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 2023 C.E.T. and EWP contests

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sunny Sheffield at 8.2C bang on average. Rainfall up 54.6mm 97.3% of the monthly average.

Maybe a rise back to 8.3C for today. Looking like a close to average finish here somewhere between 8.3C to 8.6C.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

8.5c to the 21st

0.7c above the 61 to 90 average
0.6c above the 81 to 10 average

Such a freezing month! You'd think it was one of the coldest Aprils ever reading a lot of the comments in the spring moan and model threads.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I would be shocked if the CET in April for southern England wasn't at least a few degrees celcius below average, it is has been a cool spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I would be shocked if the CET in April for southern England wasn't at least a few degrees celcius below average, it is has been a cool spring!

Why? aside from some cold days in early March there hasn't been any notable cold to speak of since then. April has been as average as April gets and it has been a reasonable month.

If anything the most notable thing about this Spring was how mild the second half of March was and how wet the month was as a whole. April has just been pretty ordinary.

• Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Why? aside from some cold days in early March there hasn't been any notable cold to speak of since then. April has been as average as April gets and it has been a reasonable month.

If anything the most notable thing about this Spring was how mild the second half of March was and how wet the month was as a whole. April has just been pretty ordinary.

Maybe you faired better than southern England but it has been fairly dull, cool down here in Exeter, the highest temp we have had a couple days is 16c which is average, lots of other cold days or 12-13c daytime temps, we can get that in a mild winter! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
59 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

8.5c to the 21st

0.7c above the 61 to 90 average
0.6c above the 81 to 10 average

Wow I honestly thought we would be comfortably below average by now, probably the never ending easterly of the freezing North Sea scuppering things here hasn’t felt remotely mild this April 

Posted
3 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Wow I honestly thought we would be comfortably below average by now, probably the never ending easterly of the freezing North Sea scuppering things here hasn’t felt remotely mild this April 

Met office anomaly maps will be out in a week for April and I would be absolutely shocked to high heaven if all of southern England isn't below average by at least 1-2c, below average sunshine and maybe average rainfall?

Posted
6 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

but temperatures have only been average for April, I'm baffled as to why people are so surprised. The 61-90 CET mean is 7.9C for April. We aren't going to get 20C every day are we? 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Maybe you faired better than southern England but it has been fairly dull, cool down here in Exeter, the highest temp we have had a couple days is 16c which is average, lots of other cold days or 12-13c daytime temps, we can get that in a mild winter! 

12-13C is typical for mid-April in SW England, the 1991-2020 average (which is substantially warmer then 1961-1990) has an average day temp in Exeter of 13.8C and a min of 4.8C

• Like 3

Posted
55 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Yes I agree. 

Some days have been sunny, but even then its still been chilly. Most of the sunny weather has been few and far between, and in very short supply.

The issue I've had is the headache inducing cold windchill, which at times has been really nasty and uncomfortable to be outside in. Just as bad as roasting in 32c heat without a wind in my opinion. 

I don't care what the stats say about averages, this April has been a cold one in my book.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

It has been cold on and off since Late November. The warmth has got to break through at some stage.

Personally, I understand it's best to have a rubbish weather now, if we can have a better summer. I just hope for a much warmer and sunnier May to August period.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

12-13C is typical for mid-April in SW England, the 1991-2020 average (which is substantially warmer then 1961-1990) has an average day temp in Exeter of 13.8C and a min of 4.8C

So with it being  average 13.8c, lots of 12-13c...would be below right? And given that we are at the other end of April for average sakes we should be having average 16-17c days by now?  So we shall see when the anomaly maps are released, personally I think we will come out as 1-2c below average temp wise for this April in southern areas and sunshine amounts will be below too

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
15 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

So with it being  average 13.8c, lots of 12-13c...would be below right? And given that we are at the other end of April for average sakes we should be having average 16-17c days by now?  So we shall see when the anomaly maps are released, personally I think we will come out as 1-2c below average temp wise for this April in southern areas and sunshine amounts will be below too

Well the graph for Exeter this April I posted in the Spring thread has temps close to the end of month 1991-2020 average. 2023 has been much milder then average so far.

20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It has been cold on and off since Late November. The warmth has got to break through at some stage.

Personally, I understand it's best to have a rubbish weather now, if we can have a better summer. I just hope for a much warmer and sunnier May to August period.

December was cold... we had a chilly second half to January and first half to March but these were more then cancelled out by much milder weather. February was one of the mildest on record. So we are running much milder then average for 2023 so far. There has been far worse...

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Well the graph for Exeter this April I posted in the Spring thread has temps close to the end of month 1991-2020 average. 2023 has been much milder then average so far.

December was cold... we had a chilly second half to January and first half to March but these were more then cancelled out by much milder weather. February was one of the mildest on record. So we are running much milder then average for 2023 so far. There has been far worse...

I beg to differ and I will post the met check anomaly charts here when they are released next week 🙂  We shall see....

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I don’t agree with that. It was generally a colder feeling winter, and I work outdoors for part of my job, when not office based.

It was notable just how cold it felt on the ground with lots of cold windy days between December and March. Yes, there were some mild interludes, but they felt shorter.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t agree with that. It was generally a colder feeling winter, and I work outdoors for part of my job, when not office based.

It was notable just how cold it felt on the ground with lots of cold windy days between December and March. Yes, there were some mild interludes, but they felt shorter.

Well the stats are ultimately what dictates how warm or cold things are relative to average and in the end this winter and March were above average overall (the latter away from Scotland). The stats are ultimately an objective way of describing it, winter / spring 2021 was a lot worse.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

The CET is more heavily weighted towards the south if anything so definitely fairly reflects the month so far in that part of the country.

Just because we haven't had any really warm days doesn't make it a cool spring. March was also above average.

3 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Agree completely- it hasn't been a dull month either here- sunshine is running around average for this stage of the month and temps slightly above.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

but temperatures have only been average for April, I'm baffled as to why people are so surprised. The 61-90 CET mean is 7.9C for April. We aren't going to get 20C every day are we? 

People have unrealistic expectations of April now because of the past 15 years or so- this is what an average April is like.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Such a freezing month! You'd think it was one of the coldest Aprils ever reading a lot of the comments in the spring moan and model threads.

That's why I posted pictures of my garlic on the moan thread, getting tall and basking in lunchtime sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, richie3846 said:

That's why I posted pictures of my garlic on the moan thread, getting tall and basking in lunchtime sunshine!

Absolutely and if it had been that cold the trees and plants would be well behind- they're not at all. Everything appears to be right on schedule for the time of year from my observations.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

Absolutely and if it had been that cold the trees and plants would be well behind- they're not at all. Everything appears to be right on schedule for the time of year from my observations.

I tried suggesting this would be the case back in late March, and people thought I was nuts. The lack of frost is a serious boost for mother nature, and the ground warms reasonably well in the conditions we've had since mid March until now. As you say, nature is bang on track, and with only a maximum of 3 slightly cooler days coming up, then a flip back to average at least, there is nothing out of the ordinary at all about that. Without doing the precise 'Rogeresque' maths, my ballpark guess puts the end of month possibly around average, maybe a couple of decimals above, but probably not below average. And let's be frank, anything 0.5c within the average is pretty average, so even if it ends up slightly below, it'll still be about average lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile the CET home page has a new wrinkle, v 2.0 now comes in v 2.0.0.0 and v 2.0.1.0, so far the only change I see is that certain months in the early part of the Maunder (1659 to 1677) are listed as missing, and for whatever reason, it's only the months that have 28 to 30 days, the longer months are still in the table. I hope there isn't going to be more carnage in the records over coming days and months. 

The values listed for 2022 and 2023 at a quick first look are all the same, with one exception, the new version 2.0.1.0 has data for the past three days and was updated today, the 2.0.0.0 version stopped updating on the 19th and does not have the last three days. In any case the monthly CET is 8.5 as the past three days have been close to that average. I have not had time to check for any other variations. There should be a supporting document to explain the changes some place, but I have not located it yet.  

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
4 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I’d settle for 15 Celsius we got up to the dizzy heights of 11 today. Maybe it’s because we haven’t really had a mild spell it just feels worse than it actually is 

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted
8 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I agree entirely with this!

• Like 1