Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 20th March 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's taken a while to edit as there was a lot of driving in "nothingness" to edit out and also been busy with work commitments since the chase. But here is my video from my storm chase on Tuesday 9th May.

Chasing pulse storms is difficult but I'm happy with this month so far from a storm perspective. I am hoping for some good thundery plumes or at least more organised thunderstorms as we get more into summer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
17 hours ago, Zak M said:

I know I'm late but I've finally released my video from Tuesday.

Here are the usual screengrabs - apologies for the spam. Was quite a display!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Lightning, Thunderstorm, Countryside, Neighborhood   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Countryside, Rural, Village   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Weather   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Sky   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Sky, Lightning   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Sky   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Car, Transportation, Vehicle   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Sky, Grass, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Tree, Grassland   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Weather, Thunderstorm, Lightning   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Weather   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Weather, Thunderstorm, Lightning   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Weather, Lightning, Thunderstorm, Animal, Bird   Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tripod, Photography

Is that a lightning detector I hear? Awesome video, thanks for sharing and putting your time and effort into it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 12/05/2023 at 14:29, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Next chance arriving for Sunday with a section of instability developing ahead of a decaying cold front my current thinking would have the highest chances around Central England / Midlands (chance for a convergence zone from the humber > the wash too) time for some changes but will update if so.

animebt9.gifanimgxo0.gif

Will there be an update on this at all? 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Supacell said:

It's taken a while to edit as there was a lot of driving in "nothingness" to edit out and also been busy with work commitments since the chase. But here is my video from my storm chase on Tuesday 9th May.

Chasing pulse storms is difficult but I'm happy with this month so far from a storm perspective. I am hoping for some good thundery plumes or at least more organised thunderstorms as we get more into summer.

@37:07 what's going on there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 hours ago, Raindrops said:

Is that a lightning detector I hear? Awesome video, thanks for sharing and putting your time and effort into it.

It is, yeah. Very handy when you're trying to find strikes in a long video because you'll notice a sudden spike in audio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

It is, yeah. Very handy when you're trying to find strikes in a long video because you'll notice a sudden spike in audio

Good to know, I thought detectors only picked up CG and not CC/IC, guess I better get up to date with the tech.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
13 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Never thought of that, probably makes editing a lot easier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

That Cape over France 🤤 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, WaterCould contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Green, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Water, Cow, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map

At the end of the GFS run so i doubt the amount will be that high (or even happen tbh) but if we can get those values to lift up over the channel its gonna be a good day for storms.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Raindrops said:

@37:07 what's going on there?

At first glance it could look like a funnel cloud but it's most likely just scud. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

At first glance it could look like a funnel cloud but it's most likely just scud. 

Yeah, I thought you were going to follow it by taking the second right, but you went straight on, better luck next time.

Oh, and great video, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Raindrops
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
5 hours ago, JR319 said:

Thunderstorms could definitely be possible from the Midlands to East Anglia tomorrow afternoon. <800 SB cape locally is possible late afternoon tomorrow and the Arome model shows storms popping off along convergence zones driven by sea breezes. Most storms will be weak but an active storm can’t be ruled out were convergence is at its greatest particularly along the Wash.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
6 hours ago, JR319 said:

Largely the same with the main instability a tad further east also the parameters won't be there for big thunderstorms instead heavy showers with some containing lightning. Convergence zones from the humber > the wash and associated with the main zone of instability 🌦⛈️

nmm-uk1-11-33-1.png animpye8.gif animkbs8.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Convective Outlook⚡

A couple of heavy showers will develop in response to surface heating bringing a small risk of a few isolated lightning strikes.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Shoreline, Coast, Person, Peninsula, Face

In my opinion it may be stronger than that and may warrant a low with an area of interest somewhere but I haven't really had a look. I think it may be slightly over saturated and the bouyant zone pre-front is quite small but if air parcels can stay parallel enough to the flow of bouyancy then a long lived shower with sparodic lightning organising a bit better than elsewhere may be possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Small cell just popped up to my south. Very large raindrops.

Could contain: Architecture, Building, House, Housing, Roof, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, White Board, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 7

Posted

just looked out the window👀 wasn't expecting to see anything convective today. Any chance these could turn thundery? Profiles look limited in height 

• Like 1

Posted

Long range GEFS seems to suggest increasing storm potential near the end of may with better temps and dewpoints. Not a massive signal as of now but just nice/reassuring to see. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Face, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Green, Chart, Plot, Land, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Also a nice couple of cells near Sheffield/York, not much in the way of lightning but much better than the dull sky over here 😂

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

Long range GEFS seems to suggest increasing storm potential near the end of may with better temps and dewpoints. Not a massive signal as of now but just nice/reassuring to see. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Face, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Green, Chart, Plot, Land, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Also a nice couple of cells near Sheffield/York, not much in the way of lightning but much better than the dull sky over here 😂

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Very hazy viewing though. Dan’s convective outlook did mention the possibility of a couple funnel clouds but unless the storm is very close, you can’t see much.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, convector said:

just looked out the window👀 wasn't expecting to see anything convective today. Any chance these could turn thundery? Profiles look limited in height 

no? not interesting enough 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
1 hour ago, convector said:

There's a convective forecast out by a Nick . A couple couple of strikes nr Louth recently 

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 2

Posted

I wonder when the first Kent clipper of the year will be?

• Thanks 1

Posted

12z GFS also agreeing on late may, good dew-points and temps into the low 20s leading to some robust instability, Hoping this trend can continue. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, StainCould contain: Green, Plot, Land, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Water, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

Could contain: CAD Diagram, Diagram, ScoreboardCould contain: CAD Diagram, Diagram, Blackboard

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Convective Outlook

Showers will develop widely with a risk of the odd lightning strike. The most intense cells will develop across NE/E Eng which may produce a few lightning strikes. A convergence zone running across the NE Eng coast may help/fuel the intensity of the cells.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Shoreline, Coast, Plot, Person, Map

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1