Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather for Nordic countries

Posted

Weather discussions for Northern Europe countries, namely Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark and Norway.

Posted

There have been a few thunder showers today in SW of Finland and Sweden. Right now this evening they're still alive moving towards North. Rainy day overall. Warm air moves away for a few days. Temperatures around 15 degrees today.

Edited by Markus03
  • Like 1

Posted

The weather is variable this week: the weather will cool down and rain will become more common for a few days, but at the end of the week the temperatures will rise again to summer readings. Based on the latest monthly forecast, the weather for the next week is widely expected to be more than five degrees warmer than the average readings at the time.

The European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts ECMWF has published a new monthly forecast on May 15. According to it, the weather will continue to be much warmer than usual in Nordic areas in the coming weeks.

This week, temperatures will drop for a while, but will return to summer readings at the weekend. Next week, the entirity of Nothern Europe will be in bright "red-orange" in the monthly forecast as a sign of clearly warmer weather than the usual.

According to the monthly forecast, it looks like warm summer weather is coming. According to the current daily forecast, the heat would be arriving next week at the latest. Even after that, no dramatic cooling is visible. Here is a good chance that the summer weather will continue for several weeks.

• Like 2

Posted

Today's temperatures aren't as high as the previous few weeks. Most places don't get over 15 degrees. Warm to the North still but the rain will move there which means the warm air moves away. 20 degree temperatures return this weekend, when the weather turns dry and warm. Just like for the past month now. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I’ve been in Finland/Rovaniemi above the artic circle in mid December 2010

- 35c and what an incredible experience it was 🥶🤗

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

I’ve been in Finland/Rovaniemi above the artic circle in mid December 2010

- 35c and what an incredible experience it was 🥶🤗

It's very cold in Lapland during Winter. Luckily I live in Southern Finland. Nowadays the weather isn't as cold as it used to. Even last winter temperatures didn't get lower than -15 degrees in my city.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Markus03 said:

It's very cold in Lapland during Winter. Luckily I live in Southern Finland. Nowadays the weather isn't as cold as it used to. Even last winter temperatures didn't get lower than -15 degrees in my city.

Here, take 1 from your minus 15…..and that’s if we are lucky lately to see temps that cold in our Winter

Most peeps in the UK haven’t experienced temps sub -30c, as you probably know 🥶 and I’ve tried my best to explain it, it’s the same feeling as putting your hand over a hot burning stove but that feeling that hurts is the opposite….from heat to cold as I tried to take my glove off to have a quick fag…..1 mins that was it before gloves was straight back on 🥶

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
2 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Here, take 1 from your minus 15…..and that’s if we are lucky lately to see temps that cold in our Winter

Most peeps in the UK haven’t experienced temps sub -30c, as you probably know 🥶 and I’ve tried my best to explain it, it’s the same feeling as putting your hand over a hot burning stove but that feeling that hurts is the opposite….from heat to cold as I tried to take my glove off to have a quick fag…..1 mins that was it before gloves was straight back on 🥶

Yep it’s a cold that raps you  a dense cold and much worse with windchill🥶

Posted

I have regularly experienced -30 regularly every year in the 2000s and even sometimes in 2010s. Here in South it just doesn't get too cold anymore. Sea is more warmer during winter too. No -30 experiences for me at all in the 2020s. Unless I wanted to go to Lapland.

Edited by Markus03

Posted
Just now, Markus03 said:

I have regularly experienced -30 regularly every year in the 2000s and even sometimes in 2010s. Here in South it just doesn't get too cold. No -30 experiences for me at all in the 2020s. Unless I wanted to go to Lapland.

One day I’ve always said I’ll return….loved it and the people are just👌👌👌

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

I'm glad you loved it. And I mean come on, we are the happiest people in the world so of course we are all kind here. Tourists are always welcomed. I recommend to also come in the summer time. It's sometimes warmer in here than in the UK. Dry weather also can last for months, unlike the UK because of the Atlantic near by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Markus03 said:

I'm glad you loved it. And I mean come on, we are the happiest people in the world so of course we are all kind here. Tourists are always welcomed. I recommend to also come in the summer time. It's sometimes warmer in here than in the UK. Dry weather also can last for months, unlike the UK because of the Atlantic near by.

Yes in speaking to the locals, they’ve mentioned in May it can go from 20c with sunshine to 2c and snowfall in just 24hrs…..so jealous 🤭

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Yes in speaking to the locals, they’ve mentioned in May it can go from 20c with sunshine to 2c and snowfall in just 24hrs…..so jealous 🤭

Due to Finland being between warm Atlantic and the cold winter continent, the temperatures during day to night can change dramatically. Especially winter when -40 degrees can easily rise to -5 degrees the next day. Good example here in the South. One day temperatures were -10, the next day it was already +10 and spring with rain.

• Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Markus03 said:

Due to Finland being between warm Atlantic and the cold winter continent, the temperatures during day to night can change dramatically. Especially winter when -40 degrees can easily rise to -5 degrees the next day. Good example here in the South. One day temperatures were -10, the next day it was already +10 and spring with rain.

I must add, your festival time and and didn’t know this, it’s different to other countries in celebrating Christmas Day , I traveled on Christmas Eve and when landing in Rovaniemi, I didn’t realise that it was your Christmas Day as such regarding everything and everywhere was shut down  ( shops, banks and restaurants etc ) it’s the day you guys celebrate most 🎅…..then Christmas Day 25th was all up and running again , even banks we’re back open 😉 wow  🤗

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
51 minutes ago, Markus03 said:

Well Finland did get down to minus 51.5c 24 years ago and considering how long weather records have been taken that’s quite recent……

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Well Finland did get down to minus 51.5c 24 years ago and considering how long weather records have been taken that’s quite recent……

I was really mainly talkin about Southern Finland. I do know that Lapland still has intense cold temperatures. But fair enough...

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

I must add, your festival time and and didn’t know this, it’s different to other countries in celebrating Christmas Day , I traveled on Christmas Eve and when landing in Rovaniemi, I didn’t realise that it was your Christmas Day as such regarding everything and everywhere was shut down  ( shops, banks and restaurants etc ) it’s the day you guys celebrate most 🎅…..then Christmas Day 25th was all up and running again , even banks we’re back open 😉 wow  🤗

We open presents on Christmas Eve evening. To be honest I don't mind. I might not be as excited as when I wake up on Christmas day morning to get presents. We also eat Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is more like another day spending with the family. However it's moslty back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

And Maybe I’ll enjoy revisiting and giving it large…vrooms 🤪

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Person, Machine, Wheel, Snowmobile, Motorcycle, Helmet, Face

Posted
1 hour ago, Markus03 said:

We open presents on Christmas Eve evening. To be honest I don't mind. I might not be as excited as when I wake up on Christmas day morning to get presents. We also eat Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is more like another day spending with the family. However it's moslty back to normal.

When does Santa come if you open the presents before he arrives? ...

I really want to visit this country for snow but I'm too scared of the freezing cold. I'm always cold.

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Before he arrives, he lives there remember 🤣 so I presume he delivers on Christmas Eve for them in Finland…how lucky 🎅

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I really want to visit this country for snow but I'm too scared of the freezing cold. I'm always cold.

He comes right before we open presents a few hours earlier. I thought you understand.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Markus03 said:

He comes right before we open presents a few hours earlier. I thought you understand.

In our country we say that Santa comes at midnight at the start of Christmas day 😄

Posted

We're going off-topic. I ask you to return to normal discussion about weather. DM me or we can continue to talk about this stuff in another thread.

Posted

Cold air is dominating the weather. 20 degrees returns this Saturday. There will be showers today but the dry weather is coming back tomorrow and the high pressure comes our way. Meaning that it will help pump in the warm air from the South. Thankfully we got rain all day yesterday. We've had too much dry weather already. That's not very good news because of the fire risk.

As you can see, warm air is very close to Finland's borders in the East but it won't quite get here yet until the weekend.

Also current temperatures, look how chilly it is in Sweden. Clear sky allowed temperatures to almost get to freezing. The only reason Finland has higher temperatures is because of cloudy weather.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Markus03

Posted

Quite windy over here in Southern FInland at the moment.

Edited by Markus03