Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather for Nordic countries

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It's a very generational thing. I was excited to see the Aurora but also the snow, mountains, wildlife, scenery and Tromso ,even how the snow was cleared in a different country. One of my teens said "so you did see the Aurora, you can tick that off?" At the airport, there were definitely some folk who had bought a showy Arctic outfit with fur edging and were all about getting the pose of themselves in front of the Aurora. Which is fine and may enliven the shared aurora pics but what happens when the lights don't show that evening? Big disappointment?    I was enchanted by life in the Arctic, I've read and watched as much as I can access since returning. I'd looked at the railway journeys, didn't fit with my trip but your photos look wonderful @TillyS

• Like 3

Posted

I totally agree with everything you’ve put @Jo Farrow The ‘ticking off’ approach often means we’re missing the enchantment (love that description) all around us.

I should reach the arctic circle Thursday for 4 nights. If I see the northern lights it’s a bonus. There is so much else to savour. This is an amazing country and the people and their ethos fascinate me.

• Like 3

Posted

I returned yesterday evening from beautiful Norway. I was in the arctic circle for four nights and saw the aurora on all four nights. Incredibly fortunate with the weather.

Norway is expensive but you can mitigate that if you’re prepared to self-cater.

I would recommend the Lofoten Islands as a great location for the northern lights. It’s FAR cheaper than Tromso. Svolvaer is quite a bustling port town but soooooooooo beautiful. I took the fast (3.5 hour) ferry back to Bodo for the experience and it was lovely on a calm day.

The light up there is something else. I cannot recommend it enough if you get a chance to go.

• Like 7

Posted

Forgive me for a couple of final pictures from Norway. This is what happens when you have a Scandi High

The Geirangerfjord:

IMG_5266-1.thumb.jpeg.d046d0cfc37fa27a1505c8d8fc9f7540.jpeg

The Lofoten Islands at dawn:

IMG_6038.thumb.jpg.97a70c2a6d90fa4f8ab2b989286a4b6c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

TillyS Beautiful! As I sit in South England where not only is there no light, but it's just grey, dark and raining nigh-on daily, photos like those almost look like another world entirely...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Lovely spring weather at the moment. Proper seasons - exactly why we (& our dog!) love living here!

IMG20240328111921.jpg

IMG20240328112346.jpg

IMG20240328112357.jpg

Edited by malby
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

This winter was colder than usual until mid-February. After that relatively mild. April usually brings spring almost every where. Changeable weather is also common. One day is warm with lovely sunshine and couple of days later winter makes a comeback with snow and frost like tomorrow.

In Lapland there was quite cold this morning, -29,5 C in Utsjoki Kevojärvi. Since 1961 there have been 9 Aprils when minimum temperature was -30,0 C or lower. The lowest ever is -36,0 C in 1912. Next 2-3 mornings can be very cold in Lapland, but I think the old record will not be broken. 

At the moment strong low is approaching from south and this will collide with cold air mass over the land. Lots of water and snow is expected to south and south-east. 5-15 cms of snow quite commonly and locally over 20 cm. Interesting 24 hours ahead.

• Like 3

Posted

Last night in Lapland was the coldest in decades! The lowest temperature recorded in Savukoski Tulppio was -34,3 C. Last time it was even colder was in 1977. There were also multiple locations where temperature dropped below -30,0 C for the first time in this century. 

That -34,3 C goes to TOP5 all time coldest readings in April according to my highly unofficial book keeping. Weather forecaster in TV just said, that coming night is going to be cold in Lapland because high pressure is strengthening.

It is still snowing in south and southeast so the final numbers aren't ready yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Remarkable coldest night in almost 70 years in Sweden.

• Like 2

Posted
On 02/04/2024 at 14:17, Kaisla said:

In Lapland there was quite cold this morning, -29,5 C in Utsjoki Kevojärvi.

I love this!

Only those resident in the UK will be able to smile about it, not in a bad way. It’s just that it illustrates how benign but also incredibly frustrating the UK is for cold lovers. We search and search and search these days for flakes of snow or frozen lakes. Entire threads are taken up with the often thankless chase for snowfall. And yet there you are in April with what would be a record low in recorded history for the UK, and snow continues to fall regularly on and off in the northern parts of Scandinavia for six months of the year.

After my trip last month to Norway I have fallen in love with it and am returning there next week for (I hope) two months. I’m not expecting to see the northern lights because of ‘white nights’ but perhaps even in mid to late April I will see some snow amidst the alternating warmth that you describe so beautifully.

I would live up there if I were permitted.

malby Such gorgeous snow pictures. Thank you for posting them xx

Edited by TillyS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

TillyS One of the benefits living in Finland is that the Atlantic cannot dominate the weather because of huge continent east of Finland. South-west is the most common wind direction here and that keeps our weather out of extremes most of the time. Every now and then flow comes between south-east and north-east resulting continental weather. Usually dry, very warm in summer and freezing cold from late autumn to spring.

I've visited this forum several years now and I've noticed chase for cold and started to wonder how many pieces there are that needs to fall in right places in right time and order to get proper winter weather in UK and Ireland.

I hope next winter delivers something memorable.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

April has delivered very interesting weather here in Finland. At the beginning night time temperatures were almost record breaking low in northern Finland. Then on 10th in Lappeenranta (SE-Fin) measured 20,1C, which is earliest date ever to have maximum at 20,0C or more.

After that we had lovely weather for a week a so. Then it got colder and eastern part of the country received 5-15 cm's of snow. For example Lappeenranta measured 10 cm of new, fresh snow. But yesterday arrived even bigger low and more snow.

The biggest snow accumulations were in south coast, near Helsinki. Espoo Nuuksio received 28 cm of fresh snow and there were many places that got 15-25 cm's of snow. These numbers broke old records.

According to meteorologists this should be the last wintry period this spring. At least in southern part of the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don't think I've ever seen something like this: 30cm of snow in Finland but there could already be 20 degrees next week as warmer air pushes in from the South. Climate is really quickly make changes to the weather in such a short period of time. Especially since we're between Atlantic and Continental. There have always been quick changes but these differences will become much more quicker in short amount of time now.

• Like 1

Posted

Update: 20 degrees is now forecasted for next Wednesday so it's delayed yet another day. Typical...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Polar lows, Summer 20 degrees if we are lucky

Up here in Tromsø it’s been incredibly sunny the last weeks. Dry easterlies but fairly cold. Maximum temp so far this year was on 10th April at 7.8°C, but the last week temps have struggled to reach 3°C during the day and fall well below freezing overnight. 

Still over 60cm snow in the garden 🥴 but roads are clear now thankfully. View from the office today ☀️

B153D2E5-91A3-400A-BC90-39EB12A5BAE8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Rain in Southern Finland right now. Temperatures around 3 degrees so it's not feeling pleasant. Snow will however melt quickly. Currently only 5 cm of snow left. I really hope there won't be another winter situation this spring. However next week will look promising anyway with temperatures nearly 20 degrees

• Like 1

Posted

Meteorologist Mika Rantanen said: "Summer will extend 30 days by 2050 in Finland (and all of Northern Europe in general). Meanwhile winters overall get more shorter that every 3 years there won't even be winter. Here are some maps, especially Western side will be warm.

image.png

Edited by Markus03

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Markus03 so that will be based on these numerical models? Yeah right.... I'll believe it when I see it but based on all of their previous predictions I don't think you should be selling your skis yet.

christy_dec8.jpg