Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather for Nordic countries

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Been a cold and snowy few days. Yesterday we had a min of -21.7C which the locals say is probably the lowest in November here since 2010. I think Lapland had a min of -34.5 C so certainly a cold airmass. 

Overnight last night we had a snowstorm with wind gusts to 30 mph although it brought 'warmer' air from the East and today's max was -3.8C but it's still snowing now and temps are expected to fall when it clears as we import another pulse of sub 510dm air.

Screenshot_2023-11-27-10-29-17-35_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Current temp outside my daughters home near Stockholm. Frozen Swedes .

C

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
7 minutes ago, carinthian said:

C

thumbnail.jpg

That’s incredibly cold.My best mate used to live there in the 90s and he used to hate the winters there.Not only the cold but lack of daylight hours in the winter months really affected him.Looks like it will warm up there by Friday to around the zero mark which will feel tropical to what they have atm!!

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

That’s incredibly cold.My best mate used to live there in the 90s and he used to hate the winters there.Not only the cold but lack of daylight hours in the winter months really affected him.Looks like it will warm up there by Friday to around the zero mark which will feel tropical to what they have atm!!

Yes, very dark. My daughter flies out to Cape Town today. +50c difference ! The Swedish cold has been entrenched for nearly a month now. As you say a warm up on the cards but surface temps will be low.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Polar lows, Summer 20 degrees if we are lucky

Cold and stable continues up here in Tromsø, with the occasional snow flurry passing through when the winds turn north or north west. Due to the coastal location, temperatures don't get too cold here (around -8 to -12) but just a 10 minute drive inland takes you into the -20s. In inland southern Norway it's been a very cold few days with temperatures down into the low -30s, even Oslo reached -15.1 this morning.

Street lights are on all day now as the polar night has set in fully. My sun lamp on my desk is the only thing keeping me awake during this period of the year 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Yes, very dark. My daughter flies out to Cape Town today. +50c difference ! The Swedish cold has been entrenched for nearly a month now. As you say a warm up on the cards but surface temps will be low.

C

That’s funny my aunt and uncle have a place in Somerset West near Cape Town-It was 36 a few days ago there but going back to a more pleasant 26/27 over next few days!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Off to Phya-Luosto in Finnish Lapland next Wednesday. Currently looking a little warmer than it has been lately - around -9c to -12c during the day, compared to -15 to -19c as it was. 

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

thumbnail.jpg

Even colder this morning, -25c just Northwest of the city.

C

• Like 1

Posted

A few more pics from today. Only -15C last night here in Narnia...

IMG20231207144849.jpg

IMG20231207144924.jpg

IMG20231207144407.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

A blustery weekend just passed up here, in some areas winds were gusting up to 60mph with temps of -11 🥶 Another week of cold temperatures coming up,but with a potential warm up on the weekend with maybe some rain. This is fairly normal for the time of year, locals call it the 'kakelinna', a warm period just before Christmas which is jokingly blamed on too many people baking things before the festive season. If only it were that simple. 

Photo of the aurora we have whenever skies are clear at night, the brightest time of the day (the blue hour) and blowing snow off roofs from the weekend in the centre of town.  

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 hours ago, ArcticBrit said:

A blustery weekend just passed up here, in some areas winds were gusting up to 60mph with temps of -11 🥶 Another week of cold temperatures coming up,but with a potential warm up on the weekend with maybe some rain. This is fairly normal for the time of year, locals call it the 'kakelinna', a warm period just before Christmas which is jokingly blamed on too many people baking things before the festive season. If only it were that simple. 

Photo of the aurora we have whenever skies are clear at night, the brightest time of the day (the blue hour) and blowing snow off roofs from the weekend in the centre of town.  

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

I arrive in Finnish Lapland on Wednesday and it looks absolutely frigid in Luosto, near where we will be. But yep a pretty significant warm up by the weekend, we leave on Saturday:

Screenshot2023-12-11at17_50_05.thumb.png.6e95630c1f3a60168c8f3ae2df5728e6.png

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Down to -28C in Finland as Santa leads in three (I think Kings) on horses

image.thumb.png.aacaf9807654b1c8138f926c3b590a99.png

Nothing says Christmas like a snowy Audi dealership scene. 🎅🏽

• Thanks 1

Posted

The stable cold is about to end here in Arctic Tromsø. Tomorrow very strong wind gusts from the south and plus temperatures will creep in, meaning a period of freezing rain. Then strong west/ north westerlies on Sunday with sleet and snow showers. The snow trucks are digging up the ice along the roads in preparation for it today, making a racket outside of the office. Thankfully it cools down again next week with snow for the Christmas period. 

Yesterday was stunningly beautiful though as the sky filled with type 1 polar stratospheric clouds. They turned polar night almost into daytime, a welcome sight before this stormy weather moves in. 

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9914.jpg

Edited by ArcticBrit
Spelling error
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ArcticBrit said:

The stable cold is about to end here in Arctic Tromsø. Tomorrow very strong wind gusts from the south and plus temperatures will creep in, meaning a period of freezing rain. Then strong west/ north westerlies on Sunday with sleet and snow showers. The snow trucks are digging up the ice along the roads in preparation for it today, making a racket outside of the office. Thankfully it cools down again next week with snow for the Christmas period. 

Yesterday was stunningly beautiful though as the sky filled with type 1 polar stratospheric clouds. They turned polar night almost into daytime, a welcome sight before this stormy weather moves in. 

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9914.jpg

I love your posts! Where are you from in the UK?

Posted
17 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I love your posts! Where are you from in the UK?

Thanks 🙂 Originally west London, but also grew up part of my life in Lincolnshire. Lived in Svalbard for a time while studying but moved south to Tromsø in early 2015. 

We just had this warning issued from MET Norway. Looks like an exciting weekend coming up. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ArcticBrit said:

Thanks 🙂 Originally west London, but also grew up part of my life in Lincolnshire. Lived in Svalbard for a time while studying but moved south to Tromsø in early 2015. 

We just had this warning issued from MET Norway. Looks like an exciting weekend coming up. 

image.png

What does kl. mean?

Posted

Having spent a fair amount of time in Bardufoss Norway in my youth, I must confess to really loving their winter climate, which despite being relatively close to the sea is surprisingly cold due to topography. 

Thaws of 24-48hrs were still relatively common however and most months featured at least one spell of rain, but for most of the time temps remained well below freezing and occasionally dropped into the -30's.

Even in those bitter temps it was possible to wear a relatively modest amount of clothing on a brisk walk, obviously ensuring any flesh was covered, but when +2c in driving sleet it felt extremely unpleasant whatever activity you were undertaking.

Changes too could come very quickly and catch out the unaware. I particularly remember a day one Jan when the mercury hit 4c and rain was relentless for over 5hrs, then then cold front went through, skies cleared and 30 mins later in was -5c. The snow covered roads which prior the fronts arrival were covered with huge puddles literally turned into a skating rink in front my eyes, but unfortunately a skating rink with slopes...I witnessed more accidents in the following hour then I've seen across the rest of my life.

Edit: Can’t swear to it, but I think I’ve found the actual day. Note 3 days of rain/snow mix delivered close to 3 inches, then the change on the 29th with a min of -9c

IMG_5575.jpeg

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Well the long forecast Atlantic air arrived overnight, pushing the temperature above freezing (0.3C) for the 1st time since 11th Nov. All the precipitation remained as snow however, despite forecasts of it turning to rain for a time, and it deposited another couple of inches to the 12" base. Back below freezing again now so thankfully we didn't get the layer of ice that would otherwise have occurred.

Looks to be a snowy week coming up now as we seem to be sitting just north of the Jetstream, which will be bringing another couple of snowstorms in before Christmas. Our daughter arrives here tomorrow from Brighton so it will be a definite change of scenery / weather for her and of course she'll get her white Christmas.

Screenshot_2023-12-17-08-31-08-74_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted

Had to post this picture of the sky here today. Mother of pearl / nacreous clouds I believe. Stunning but my camera still didn't do them justice so borrowed this from our local FB group.

FB_IMG_1702850253460.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, malby said:

Had to post this picture of the sky here today. Mother of pearl / nacreous clouds I believe. Stunning but my camera still didn't do them justice so borrowed this from our local FB group.

FB_IMG_1702850253460.jpg

What causes that?

Posted
On 15/12/2023 at 17:34, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What does kl. mean?

Klokka 🙂 In Norwegian you say 'the clock is ... whatever time it is' 

This weekend was hectic here, characterized by fluctuating temps from -1 to +4, very heavy snow / sleet/ rain and hail showers. Quite frequent lightning on Saturday night as thunder snow showers ploughed in from the coast. The strongest wind gust on the coast here was 36.9m/s, so just over 82mph. 

A calmer week ahead with snow showers or longer periods of snow heading into the Christmas period thankfully. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What causes that?

Here's the link explaining all about these types of stratospheric ice clouds. In summary they only appear in polar regions and are only found above 50,000 ft. I've only seen them once before and I'm guessing they're pretty rare.

Edited by malby
  • Thanks 1