Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather for Nordic countries

Posted

A new member from Tampere Finland here! Let's see if I can add a link here. Skywarden - observation service . The link goes to the Finnish site where you can report your observations of northern lights, fireballs, halos, rare clouds and so on. Languages Finnish, Swedish and English.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Kaisla said:

A new member from Tampere Finland here! Let's see if I can add a link here. Skywarden - observation service . The link goes to the Finnish site where you can report your observations of northern lights, fireballs, halos, rare clouds and so on. Languages Finnish, Swedish and English.

oooh thats interesting!! Welcome x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Posted

Apparently it was seen here too! Which is surprising as I thought we were in warm air right?!

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Clouds with beautiful iridescence colour were captured by BBC Weather Watchers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Been a lovely snowy Christmas period here. Our daughter is glad that she swapped Brighton for Finland this Christmas but isn't looking forward to returning home later this week! Here's a couple of snaps and a video from yesterday.

IMG-20231225-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.7fba6b8a1c66a22ce0b54413dd2b9d27.jpegIMG-20231225-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.701f80a4d371993b33a0f339aa8cb5f9.jpeg

Edited by malby
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Finnish metoffice is going for -32°C in Rovaniemi on Thursday, oh boy thats cold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Finnish metoffice is going for -32°C in Rovaniemi on Thursday, oh boy thats cold!

You can't even imagine it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Polar lows, Summer 20 degrees if we are lucky

A cold Christmas and start to the new year up here in northern Norway. Went for a drive inland last night and the temperature was down to -34 in the valleys. I see this morning a number of stations in far northern Sweden and Finland hitting the -40 mark. 

Meanwhile in the far south it's all over national news this morning about snow chaos south west of Oslo around Arendal and Kristiansand. Some areas have received around 50-60cm over a 24 hour window, with warnings for a further 30-40cm over the next 2 days. 

Hoping for some kind of warm up to more average temperatures soon, December was the third month in a row of below average temperatures in Tromsø. 

temp_nor.png

• Like 3

Posted

Yep, cold here last night too at -31.6C. Our dog certainly didn't want to spend long outside this morning when he went out for a call of nature! Expecting a few degrees lower at some point this week. Would have been colder this morning if we hadn't had an unexpected light snow shower around 6 am.

Screenshot_2024-01-02-10-12-36-45_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

Edited by malby

Posted
41 minutes ago, ArcticBrit said:

A cold Christmas and start to the new year up here in northern Norway. Went for a drive inland last night and the temperature was down to -34 in the valleys. I see this morning a number of stations in far northern Sweden and Finland hitting the -40 mark.

temp_nor.png

I think those -40 readings in Finland comes from Fintraffic. An instance that produces all kinds of data for those who are working in logistics. These are not 'official' readings, which come from Finnish meteorological institut. The coldest place officially in the last 24 hours was Ylivieska airport, circa -38 degrees C.

But official or not, it is quite cold at the moment in Nordic countries, and I like it I have to say 🙂

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kaisla said:

I think those -40 readings in Finland comes from Fintraffic. An instance that produces all kinds of data for those who are working in logistics. These are not 'official' readings, which come from Finnish meteorological institut. The coldest place officially in the last 24 hours was Ylivieska airport, circa -38 degrees C.

But official or not, it is quite cold at the moment in Nordic countries, and I like it I have to say 🙂

I think both the -40 readings appear to be border or Sweden then. I see the WMO station in Nikkaluokta, Sweden is -41.4 degrees C and Karesuando on the Swedish/Finnish border is -40.9. 

Posted
1 hour ago, ArcticBrit said:

Karesuando on the Swedish/Finnish border is -40.9. 

Karesuondo - Karesuvanto is a twin village on Swedish - Finnish border. Muonionjoki -river separates them. I found Fintraffic station Enontekiö Hietajoki that is couple of kilometres NW from Karesuvanto and temperature there at 12:25 local time was -41,9 degrees C. This is on Finnish side of the border.

The closest official weather station downstream is Muonio Oustajärvi, 75 kilometers SE, where was 'only' -24,4 C. NW direction is Kilpisjärvi, more than 90 kilometres away. There is also an official weather station.

Posted

Yes 😀 I travel through Karesuando with work a few times a year and it always amazes me how cold it can get there along the E8 road. It's a shame we don't have more official stations in the remote arctic areas, but also understandable given the upkeep challenges. 

Here's an update on the snow situation in south Norway. Schools starting to close and things shutting down a bit... it's fairly unprecedented to get so much snow along the south east coastline this early in the winter, in some places around Arendal it's the highest snow depth since records began in 1977.  (May need to use a translator to read the article). 

WWW.NRK.NO

Agder kan få ytterligere opptil 40 cm snø frem til onsdag kveld. Flere kommuner har satt krisestab og stenger første skoledag. Nå innstilles postlevering og søppelhenting.

snowdepth_36490_latest_en.png

Edited by ArcticBrit
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Today one place up in the far North of Sweden recorded its lowest January temp  since 1918 of -43c. It is also the coldest January national recording since 1999 when -49c was registered.

C

• Like 5

Posted

I found an interesting link that shows all temperature measurements of Finnish road network on a single map, temperature data from the road network. Default value seems to be temperature of road surface. There is a checkbox in settings, bottom left corner. Choose 'lämpötila' and you'll get air temperature data.

The coldest reading is near Finnish Karesuvanto, -45,4 degrees C. There  is an official weather station on the Swedish side of Muonionjoki -river. Last reading was from yesterday, -42,2 C. It is interesting to see what the official reading will be.

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Kaisla said:

I found an interesting link that shows all temperature measurements of Finnish road network on a single map, temperature data from the road network. Default value seems to be temperature of road surface. There is a checkbox in settings, bottom left corner. Choose 'lämpötila' and you'll get air temperature data.

The coldest reading is near Finnish Karesuvanto, -45,4 degrees C. There  is an official weather station on the Swedish side of Muonionjoki -river. Last reading was from yesterday, -42,2 C. It is interesting to see what the official reading will be.

How long can you actually be out in temperatures that low?!

Posted

Going to be a cold one here tonight, probably the coldest night of the week / winter so far (-31.6⁰C to beat!) as it's already -30⁰C at 4PM and is crystal clear and dead calm out there.

Was doing some snow work earlier this PM to clear a few walkways but could only manage 45mins outside before I had to come in as my nose was getting frostbitten!

Will be interesting to see just how low the temp falls tonight as temps are due to rise by the weekend with some more snow coming in, so will be last chance to beat the low for a while.

Screenshot_2024-01-04-16-19-57-41_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Heavy snowfall finally starting to abate in the south of Norway and Sweden, but not before causing many problems. Up here in northern Norway, the Kautokeino station (Guovdageaidnu) has just slipped to -42.6°C, the coldest January temperature at the station since the all time record set in January 1999 (-50.3°C). Weird to think that in just 4-5 days the temperature is expected to rise to 0.... with rain for us on the coast. 

WWW.BBC.COM

The army is called in to help drivers in southern Sweden amid a big freeze across the Nordic countries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, malby said:

Going to be a cold one here tonight, probably the coldest night of the week / winter so far (-31.6⁰C to beat!) as it's already -30⁰C at 4PM and is crystal clear and dead calm out there.

Was doing some snow work earlier this PM to clear a few walkways but could only manage 45mins outside before I had to come in as my nose was getting frostbitten!

Will be interesting to see just how low the temp falls tonight as temps are due to rise by the weekend with some more snow coming in, so will be last chance to beat the low for a while.

Screenshot_2024-01-04-16-19-57-41_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

How do you know your nose is getting frost bitten? I have so much to learn ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

As with other appendages, it drops off! 😁

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Well I couldn't feel it for one, my eyelashes and face mask were ice covered and when I came in my exposed cheeks and nose were bright red and as cold as ice according to my wife, who then told me off for staying out there so long!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, malby said:

Well I couldn't feel it for one, my eyelashes and face mask were ice covered and when I came in my exposed cheeks and nose were bright red and as cold as ice according to my wife, who then told me off for staying out there so long!

What is the recommended time for staying out?

Posted
27 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What is the recommended time for staying out?

That is kind of like with saunas, there are no recommendations, but you have to use common sense and listen to your body. On the other hand I can understand your question. If you have not experienced temperatures that cold ( -30 on and below ).

Few rules of thumb.

- If you don't need to go outside it is perfectly OK to stay indoors.

- If you need to go out, check the temperature and wind and dress accordingly.

- Always keep the wind behind your back if possible.

- Right amount of movement, no standing still or heavy labor. The point being, keep yourself on the move just the right amount. Too much moving or working makes you sweat and that is bad. Standing still is no solution.

- Check from time to time if you can still feel your fingers, toes, nose and cheekbones.

- And if you are going to stay outdoors for hours, remember to drink. Human body loses water even if it is freezing cold.

- When you are back inside again, hang all of your clothes to dry up so you have dry clothing when you get out next time.

In practice I have noticed that when 'feels like' temperature drops to -25 C or lower, I cover my face so that only eyes remains exposed. Breathing becomes more difficult, but I don't like frostbites either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1