Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather for Nordic countries

Posted
50 minutes ago, Kaisla said:

That is kind of like with saunas, there are no recommendations, but you have to use common sense and listen to your body. On the other hand I can understand your question. If you have not experienced temperatures that cold ( -30 on and below ).

Few rules of thumb.

- If you don't need to go outside it is perfectly OK to stay indoors.

- If you need to go out, check the temperature and wind and dress accordingly.

- Always keep the wind behind your back if possible.

- Right amount of movement, no standing still or heavy labor. The point being, keep yourself on the move just the right amount. Too much moving or working makes you sweat and that is bad. Standing still is no solution.

- Check from time to time if you can still feel your fingers, toes, nose and cheekbones.

- And if you are going to stay outdoors for hours, remember to drink. Human body loses water even if it is freezing cold.

- When you are back inside again, hang all of your clothes to dry up so you have dry clothing when you get out next time.

In practice I have noticed that when 'feels like' temperature drops to -25 C or lower, I cover my face so that only eyes remains exposed. Breathing becomes more difficult, but I don't like frostbites either.

It all sounds positively horrible. I would never remember all that 😂. I experienced -15 in Germany in 2010 but nothing since then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting
2 hours ago, Kaisla said:

2 hours ago, Kaisla said:

That is kind of like with saunas, there are no recommendations, but you have to use common sense and listen to your body. On the other hand I can understand your question. If you have not experienced temperatures that cold ( -30 on and below ).

Few rules of thumb.

- If you don't need to go outside it is perfectly OK to stay indoors.

- If you need to go out, check the temperature and wind and dress accordingly.

- Always keep the wind behind your back if possible.

- Right amount of movement, no standing still or heavy labor. The point being, keep yourself on the move just the right amount. Too much moving or working makes you sweat and that is bad. Standing still is no solution.

- Check from time to time if you can still feel your fingers, toes, nose and cheekbones.

- And if you are going to stay outdoors for hours, remember to drink. Human body loses water even if it is freezing cold.

- When you are back inside again, hang all of your clothes to dry up so you have dry clothing when you get out next time.

In practice I have noticed that when 'feels like' temperature drops to -25 C or lower, I cover my face so that only eyes remains exposed. Breathing becomes more difficult, but I don't like frostbites either.

All good advice and basically what we try to adhere to. I find that when wearing a face mask / covering and trying to do anything that involves exertion though (such as snow clearing) I get too hot and have to keep my mouth and nose clear in order to breathe freely. That limits the time I can stay out in it obviously. The temps didn't stop us having a naked snow 'bath' during sauna tonight though! 

As for tonight's temps, yes, as expected, it's the coldest so far this winter. Currently -32.5⁰C

Screenshot_2024-01-04-21-48-00-15_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

Edited by malby
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, malby said:

The temps didn't stop us having a naked snow 'bath' during sauna tonight though! 

As for tonight's temps, yes, as expected, it's the coldest so far this winter. Currently -32.5⁰C

@*Stormforce~beka* can't imagine you being brave enough to try that, somehow!:cold-emoji:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

How long can you actually be out in temperatures that low?!

i have been out for my morning walk which last 1.5 hrs when it was -46c and a windchill of -53c..not a problem if you are dressed accordingly 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

@*Stormforce~beka* can't imagine you being brave enough to try that, somehow!:cold-emoji:

Not a chance in hell LOLOL!!!

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have been out for my morning walk which last 1.5 hrs when it was -46c and a windchill of -53c..not a problem if you are dressed accordingly 

I wouldn't even know how to dress for that tbh!!! You must need 10 layers on lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Parts of Lapland up to 0-1°C on tuesday 9th , 32 degrees warmer!, before a sharp drop again by the end of next week, madness!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

Well we did it. Broke our lowest minimum for the winter last night at -34.2⁰C. It looks like the far NW of Finland around Muonio, Enontekio and Kilpisjarvi was sub -40⁰C again but this is plenty cold enough for us, especially as our heat pumps are struggling to work properly at these temps.

It's just a case of keeping a roaring log fire going to keep the place warm instead, which isn't a bad idea today anyway since Finnish power have increased the price of electricity by up to 10-fold today to try and cut down on power usage. We have friends with businesses who say it is going to cost them hundreds of Euros extra today alone (the attached chart shows the hourly cost of a kWh of electricity today at different times. Eg. it's going to cost 2.35€ per kWh at 7 pm today!) 

Screenshot_2024-01-05-11-12-32-60_c300ea8a5c2e3e7e742203e14ec62ec9.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-05-00-21-10-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by malby
  • Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I wouldn't even know how to dress for that tbh!!! You must need 10 layers on lol

tshirt.. big jumper..thermal winter puffer coat ..2 pairs winter gloves..snow pants..balaclava...fur lined hat...ordinary socks and bog standard trainers

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

tshirt.. big jumper..thermal winter puffer coat ..2 pairs winter gloves..snow pants..balaclava...fur lined hat...ordinary socks and bog standard trainers

Is that it!? I dress in thermal vest, thermal long sleeved top, merino wool jumper, gillet, puffa coat, gloves, hat and scarf here!! LOL. If snow I add in my ski trousers and welly boots

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is that it!? I dress in thermal vest, thermal long sleeved top, merino wool jumper, gillet, puffa coat, gloves, hat and scarf here!! LOL. If snow I add in my ski trousers and welly boots

image.thumb.png.809f8b179bde1dba25f6a60f92bd7b0a.png  image.thumb.png.7541ab51fe5ecc25ac60c580d659cef5.png

Posted
15 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

yep and usually after 10 mins its gets a little too warm..but after an hour or so you start to feel the cold again mainly on my hands.

• Insightful 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

image.thumb.png.809f8b179bde1dba25f6a60f92bd7b0a.png  image.thumb.png.7541ab51fe5ecc25ac60c580d659cef5.png

Yes!!! I need tons of layers I'm only 7 1/2 stone! No fat on me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
16 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Must be close to a historic low?

Posted
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Must be close to a historic low?

-49.4c is the historic low for Edmonton.

Posted
20 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It all sounds positively horrible. I would never remember all that 😂. I experienced -15 in Germany in 2010 but nothing since then!

I've actually experienced minus 20c in this country, winter of 81/82 and December 2010.....

8 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

-49.4c is the historic low for Edmonton.

Getting close ,do you think that record will be broken, and what year was the minus 49.4  recorded? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Getting close ,do you think that record will be broken, and what year was the minus 49.4  recorded? 

i doubt it ..i think -46c is about a cold as it gets and was pretty exceptional..the record is from the late 1880s when Edmonton was just a trading post for the fur trade..now its a 1.2million City so with global warming and the Urban heat island effect anything below -40c is rare now.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i doubt it ..i think -46c is about a cold as it gets and was pretty exceptional..the record is from the late 1880s when Edmonton was just a trading post for the fur trade..now its a 1.2million City so with global warming and the Urban heat island effect anything below -40c is rare now.

Thanks ,still amazingly low temperature, but you never know that temperature may well be beaten at some point, I've learned never say never where the weather is concerned and the rest of mother nature 😃

• Like 1

Posted

this is what i wear when it goes below -30c 

IMG_1363.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

this is what i wear when it goes below -30c 

IMG_1363.jpg

That coat looks too thin 😂

Posted

A "warm" -23°C at Rovaniemi tonight, the thermometer capable of going doing to -45°C, so life's not at the rock bottom yet!

Screenshot2024-01-05171301.thumb.png.debf4b303c8b57aad1c5aff545a82dc9.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

A "warm" -23°C at Rovaniemi tonight, the thermometer capable of going doing to -45°C, so life's not at the rock bottom yet!

Screenshot2024-01-05171301.thumb.png.debf4b303c8b57aad1c5aff545a82dc9.png

Any houses for sale there?.😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So a cold period is ending and the lowest value in Finland will be -44,3 C. How cold is that? I checked Finnish meteorological institute site and checked my own stuff to find an answer to that. From 1st of January 1961 to 31st of December 2023 I found at least 12 separate cold periods, when the lowest value was -44,0 C or colder.

In the last 36 years (1st Jan 1988 - ) there have been only 2 cold periods like this. January 1999 is the coldest them all, when the national record was set (-51,5 C). These cold periods happened in 10 different years. In 1978 and 1985 there were two separate periods.

Based on this, it is quite safe to say that this recent reading of -44,3 C is going to be the coldest of the year also. Not guaranteed but highly likely.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme, Aurora, Lightning

Hoping for nice snowy conditions and northern lights as heading up North again soon as already sick of being around humans so can find a nice place to relax up there for a bit hopefully.  

Cold, Snowy, dark & auroras would be ideal in next few weeks ⚡🐺

• Like 2

Posted
On 06/01/2024 at 17:42, Kaisla said:

So a cold period is ending and the lowest value in Finland will be -44,3 C. How cold is that? I checked Finnish meteorological institute site and checked my own stuff to find an answer to that. From 1st of January 1961 to 31st of December 2023 I found at least 12 separate cold periods, when the lowest value was -44,0 C or colder.

In the last 36 years (1st Jan 1988 - ) there have been only 2 cold periods like this. January 1999 is the coldest them all, when the national record was set (-51,5 C). These cold periods happened in 10 different years. In 1978 and 1985 there were two separate periods.

Based on this, it is quite safe to say that this recent reading of -44,3 C is going to be the coldest of the year also. Not guaranteed but highly likely.

Just got back from Helsinki and Tallinn, where it was “only” -20 degrees. Cold enough for our bottle of water to freeze solid during a 20 min walk!

IMG_8741.thumb.jpeg.cefb9b9f7e1ad83341d200e22604bc97.jpeg

IMG_9216.thumb.jpeg.b6eb54b5eb0779b1e290df08f1b10fb3.jpeg

IMG_8867.thumb.jpeg.d0955705cb9a68e691806f167c889d36.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Temperatures in parts of northern Sweden have gone from -44C a few days ago to +8C today 😯

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1