Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Frustrating here in Lincoln, that second cell was passing to the east but had it stayed electrified, it would have been close enough to be able to hear the thunder, at least faintly, and maybe see the odd flash of lightning from the east-facing view from my balcony.  However, it lost its electrification just before it came within range.

we usually get a bit unlucky with storms heading a few miles from us, the cell has weakened a lot over the past 30 mins now as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wonder what has haltered the Lincs cell? Seemed to be gaining momentum and then just lost its electrification! 
Small development to the East of Pboro. Noticing the cumulus here are starting to  gain more height. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Possible Supercell with consolidation of the updraft on the south side with feeding momentum and that slight right hook. As long as its persistent we could have a Supercell.

People very quick to call a storm a Supercell nowadays, looks like a run of the mill thunderstorm to me

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's probably the luck of the draw more than anything specific to Lincoln I reckon - when thundery activity is well-scattered or isolated, as is often the case in Britain, the odds will tend to favour missing out most of the time.  I remember that in May and July 2021 Lincoln seemed to get a thunderstorm almost every time thundery activity was forecast around Lincolnshire - I guess you win some and you lose some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
7 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

That can't be right? No real shelf when it went by here put it here anyway but I suspect that's from a previous storm.

Definitely is, that's a couple minutes in the car away from me - gutted I missed it but you can see where the shelf's edge would be on radar

image.thumb.png.6adf19a86494709120fe875743849e78.png

• Like 1

Posted

That little storm earlier in the day over Kent is now an absolute monster over the Netherlands hitting Amsterdam 🙄

Look at that shelf cloud! 

Could contain:

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
15 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

That little storm earlier in the day over Kent is now an absolute monster over the Netherlands hitting Amsterdam 🙄

Look at that shelf cloud! 

Could contain:

Friends of mine near Middleburg said it was quite lively when it went over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
25 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

People very quick to call a storm a Supercell nowadays, looks like a run of the mill thunderstorm to me

All a thunderstorm has to be to be a Supercell is have a persistent rotating mesocyclone. Unfortunately without doppler radar we cannot really tell. The parameters are there today. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

All a thunderstorm has to be to be a Supercell is have a persistent rotating mesocyclone. Unfortunately without doppler radar we cannot really tell. The parameters are there today. 

As good as it gets.

WWW.METCHECK.COM

Metcheck.com - UK Latest Zoomable Tornado Radar - Updated every 15 Minutes.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Look up Veg Gardening UK on FB, some of the stuff posted is priceless (the best one was "I seem to have been cultivating a nettle.." 😂)

I'm in!! x

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

There were a few storms about but I think that the 60% storm chance from Netweather was over doing it a bit. Too much cloud cover probably inhibited most of development that could have occurred earlier.

IMG_8664.webp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I really think today’s forecast was based on a quick clearance of cloud. That didn’t happen (just starting now) and as a result the temps weren’t there for the right development to take place.

There we’re also some issues with the timing of all the parameters that would be needed to feed the storm up into something significant.

It could still surprise us but I think scattered heavy showers with some embedded electrical activity are more likely now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The storm that tracked over Sleaford did seem to split, with two cores.  May of had transient supercell structure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I really think today’s forecast was based on a quick clearance of cloud. That didn’t happen (just starting now) and as a result the temps weren’t there for the right development to take place.

There we’re also some issues with the timing of all the parameters that would be needed to feed the storm up into something significant.

It could still surprise us but I think scattered heavy showers with some embedded electrical activity are more likely now

Yeah I mentioned that as a possibility yesterday actually. These MCS statiform regions and post MCS cloud is modelled so badly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Nothing very exciting T+L wise for me today. Saw one flash of lightning as I was driving but that's it. However some absolutely torrential rain and winds with visibility very much reduced. Lots of flooding on the roads too and some nice structure on the eastern side of the cells. 

Now I'm at Doncaster services contemplating the normally fairly ok drive home. Apparently two accidents and a vehicle fire between myself and home though, the vehicle fire having closed the M1. Going to be a fun trip back! #britishtraffic 🤦

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Seems to be some modest towers building up here but with dark bases, wonder if its that other shortwave Dan mentioned in his forecast for this evening.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks as if I will be woken up by thunder ,lightning and heavy showers (77% chance according to Netweather) between 11-12 tonight in Leamington Spa  ! Will be the fifth storm in 2 weeks .Come one and all to Warwickshire

Edited by Phildb2
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Small cell out to sea looking from the Hunstanton webcam, but nothing spectacular by the looks of things.

Could contain:

• Like 4

Finally had some heavy rain this morning. 10mm in the end. A few cracks of thunder too. Freshened things up. Mind you not sure how much to trust Eldorado 24 hour extremes who advise Isle of purbeck had over 60mm of rain today - does this sound true or a load of tosh ? The Lincs storms looks livley on radar as do tjose over N.Ireland.

Posted

I think that may be it. I had about 6 drops of rain about 15 mins ago lol. Unless something unexpectedly develops, then it’s onto the next time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like somethings kicked off to my southwest beyond Bridgwater. Anyone down there?